main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I found it on pre-episode 1 Zuko's wall

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  2. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    So I've been wondering this since I was a kid: why did Dave Wolverton only write the first Jedi Apprentice book and not continue to do the others (although he did co-write the 3rd one)?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Fan-fic time!

4. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    Did anything interesting happen at the Marvel panel Saturday? I was expecting at least a one new series to be announced but I haven't heard anything about what went on.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Who trained Joruus?

6. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Nothing really happened at the Marvel panel on Saturday. Someone got to read the next issue of DV and someone else got to read the next issue of SW but no clues as to what new series were being launched.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe enough of his memories were retained through "flash-imprinting" that he didn't need any training?

Still raises the question of how they got a scan of his brain though.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

In Outbound Flight, I think there was a mention of the crew and passengers getting a "medical checkup" before the voyage began. I would assume that's how C'baoth's DNA was obtained, and any brain scan would have been taken at that time as well.

9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Was the assassination of Xandel Carrivus the official end of the original Galactic Empire? At least until the reunification.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Aha! That explains everything. Another Thrawn question: Was Mist Encounter originally intended to occur before the destruction of the Outbound Flight?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In HoT, it's specifically stated that Thrawn destroyed Outbound Flight, nearly got exiled by the Chiss, but got exiled later on different grounds.

While it's possible from the way it was written in Heir to the Empire, that Thrawn was intended to be an officer in the service of President Palpatine - Mist Encounter was written very close to HoT - so the "still a Chiss military officer when he destroyed Outbound Flight" bit, had likely already been decided and taken into account.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In HTTE, Thrawn mentions being "highly-placed enough to know about" the Outbound Flight.

"Jorus C'baoth is dead," Thrawn said. "He was one of the six Jedi Masters aboard the Old Republic's Outbound Flight project. I don't know if you were highly enough placed back then to have known about it."
    "I heard rumors," Pellaeon frowned, thinking back. "Some sort of grand effort to extend the Old Republic's authority outside the galaxy, as I recall, launched just before the Clone Wars broke out. I never heard anything more about it."
    "That's because there wasn't anything more to be heard," Thrawn said evenly. "It was intercepted by a task force outside Old Republic space and destroyed."
    Pellaeon stared at him, a shiver running up his back. "How do you know?"
    Thrawn raised his eyebrows. "Because I was the force's commander. Even at that early date the Emperor recognized that the Jedi had to be exterminated. Six Jedi Masters aboard the same ship was too good an opportunity to pass up."

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which shows Thrawn knows Pellaeon was a Republic officer back then.

14. MonkeyHouse143

Jun 4, 2015
    Would you recommend the Legacy comic series to someone whose only post ROTJ EU exposure was Dark Empire? How important are the NJO books to understanding the state of the galaxy at the time of Legacy?

To give you an idea of my tastes, I have read all the new canon comics and loved most of them. Like I mentioned, I also read Dark Empire recently and loved its weirdness.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yes

You can do without since the series explains what has happened as far as it is important for the story.

Well then you might be very positively surprised indeed because it is a far better written story then any of those :)

Far less weirdness in Leg ;) also far better art then Dark Empire.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You absolutely do not need to read the New Jedi Order to understand Legacy. (It's worth reading in its own right, but at 19 books it's a pretty long setup if that's all you're there for).

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. MonkeyHouse143

Jun 4, 2015
    I bought the first issue on Comixology and I really enjoyed it. I am heavily invested in the new canon but I am open to anything that tells a good Star Wars story. I think I will be getting the omnibus soon. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Try to get the Republic, Dark Times and Other Sons of Tatooine comics in that case J as well as Knights of the Old Republic.:)

19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    reading lost stars at the moment only the second book ive read from the new canon other being lords of the sith. so was wondering should i do bloodlines next or do both aftermath books or tarkin and a new dawn?

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I completely agree with Gorefiend, you can and certainly should read Legacy. I haven't read the NJO or FOTJ books either, and had no problem with Legacy.

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Read Bloodline. It's good.
    Aftermath, not so much.
    (A New Dawn is good, too, but is a Rebels tie-in, so more interesting if you like the series).

bizzbizz likes this.
  22. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

Lost Stars and Lords of the Sith are two of my favourite books, you chose good ones to start with! I have heard so many bad things about Aftermath that I don't think I'll ever bother reading it. I read Tarkin and it was good, if you're a fan of The Clone Wars I'd also recommend Dark Disciple. If you're interested in the military side of the rebel alliance, definitely check out Battlefront: Twilight Company, and you might enjoy it a little more if you read it after A New Dawn.

23. MonkeyHouse143

Jun 4, 2015
    Thanks, I'll check those out as well. I love the KOTOR games so I'll probably start with those.

spicer and Gorefiend like this.
  24. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Are there any good guides out there to the new canon (novels, YA books, etc.)?

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This is pretty comprehensive, and also in in-universe chronological order.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.