main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm fairly sure they are different sabres because these ones curve wheras the TCW do not. It follows that the crystals are different.

Maybe the Ahsoka book will explain it.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Are there any primitive/pre-industrial human societies in the Galaxy?

3. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think there was in the old Archie Goodwin newspaper strips. But in the canon, I don't think so. Star Wars doesn't deal with more primitive cultures the same way Star Trek does; like the Ewoks, the heroes are willing to introduce all of their advanced technology and don't care about preserving the lifestyle.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    the Ewoks are a good example of the kind of society I was thinking of. and yeah, there's no "prime directive" in star wars but there's still isolation.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dathomir might qualify as "de-industrialised" - a society of alien/human hybrids that appear to have turned a long way away from industry.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The CoPL and YJK incarnation on Dathomir do qualify, they where per-industrial and possibly did not even have wind- or watermills. Some of the later incarnations, like Infinity's End, had their hands on some high-tech, but it is possible that tech was just scavenged

Nom von Anor likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW higher tech included the energy bows, the speeder (pretty sure Ventress couldn't have brought it with her) and those pop-up blocks in the arena - assuming that it's mechanisms that cause them to rise and fall, and not Ventress using telekinesis.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Didn't the human colonists Thrawn encountered on Wayland use bow and arrow level of technology? Or am I remembering this wrong?

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They used crossbows.

10. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    ok,got to ask but since the nuking of the EU does any one know if the Legions of Lettow and Xendor may come back and or if some one as ask PH about this.

P.S sorry but i don't know of another thread about this question and or if it's cannon in some way or form......wookiepedie gets bigger by the day lol

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lettow got a passing reference in jasonfry 's Servants of the Empire series, as part of a marching song. Details still remain Legendary though.

12. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    ok,thanks.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Am I misremembering, or does one of the TCW episodes mention some kind of year system? Maybe in one of the Senate-related episodes?

14. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I am rereading the Force Awakens novelization and may have found a continuity mistake in the new canon. The novels describes a ship (AAL) of twenty stormtroopers as a single squad but the visual dictionary and incredible cross-sections for Force Awakens define a squad as ten Stormtroopers with the AAls (Atmosphere Assault Landers) being able to carry twenty stormtroopers, two full squads.

The novel does describe it as a squadron though...is there any difference between a squad and a squadron?

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Jormak, Weik, Kesh, Ossus, Eol Sha and Dellalt spring to mind, which interesting enough all used to be more advanced, but just devolved from it.

Daneira and Gamiel like this.
  16. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Weik is exactly the kind of planet I was thinking of!

and yeah, if humans started on Coruscant as is the in-universe theory, obviously any human on another planet had to get there via high tech space travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Might the Cha'a and Trandoshans be related? Bossk and Ssk Kahorr both ate their siblings.

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The people of the Tion at least don't think so ;)

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    How do you pronounce Eriadu?

20. LBT-00

LBT-00 Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2016
    eh-rii-ah-do I think

21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Or possibly, Eh-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrii-ah-do, if they're trying to look posh, right?
    [​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  22. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Listen to the Tarkin audiobook on youtube, they say it a lot

23. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Hello! I've been meaning to get involved more in the Lit/EU fanspace here, since that's where my primary Star Wars love resides. I'd also like to take some photos of my book and comic collections to share and didn't spot the appropriate thread on the first three pages. Would it be alright to start a new thread so people can show off their bookshelves/novel/comics collections (some probably more polished than mine, I have no doubt!)?

I also have this bizarre compulsion to organize my books chronologically as best as possible, even wanting to buy the individual films so I can mix the blu rays and novels and comics together (but I really hate the steelbook art choices for the individual films that came out).

Also, some of these books I've read a few times, and there's about 1/3 of my collection of the old EU (and most of the new EU) that I've yet to read. I do want to get to them, but I also love the idea that I still have unread Star Wars stories to pull off my shelf any time I'm interested in trying something new.

I saw the bookclub thread pop up for Darth Plagueis (which I already read about a year or so ago). Is there anyone interested in taking a long, winding chronological stroll through either the old or new EU or both? And are there other events or activities coming up that would be a good jumping on point to get more involved in this sub-community?

Daneira likes this.
  24. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm crazy about arranging things in chronological order too! My collection is mostly Legends but I wracked my brain for a good hour trying to figure out where to place the new Marvel Vader TPBs. also books that take place over multiple time periods are really annoying too lol

seventhbeacon likes this.
  25. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

If I could like your post multiple times I so would! My solution has been to separate new canon from old, since they're different "bubbles" anyway. Also, some things like the original Marvel run just go in their own spot because so little of it translated to later material. Off the top of my head, Lumiya is the only significant remainder, and even then only toward the end of Legends.

And the multiple likes is for those books which span a greater length of time... (I'm looking at you, Han Solo III: Rebel Dawn! The original Han Solo book collection is wedged between that trilogy on my shelf.) Not to mention the short story collections. Tales from the New Republic, Empire being the hardest to pin down.

Lost Stars will eventually become problematic on the new-canon shelf, (and I still need to read it, I know, terrible!), and since the old Star Wars movie novelizations aren't included in the new canon, I used the young adult recap versions in their stead (and will probably eventually pick up the re-colored Marvel Comics adaptations of the CT)... wondering if a similar treatment will be given to the Prequels...otherwise the next solution might be to eventually get individual copies of each film to mix them in with the "official canon" material.

Edit: Should I move this convo to the social thread or is here okay?