main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    The most detailed summary is from the Propaganda book, where it points out that the Sith had completely taken over Coruscant at one point, before it was reclaimed about 1000 years prior to Our Story, and the Republic as we've seen it was re-organized. Details of the Galaxy past that point are murky (seemingly IU as well as OOU) , and are all lumped together under ideas and ideals of "The Old Republic".

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015

Propaganda book? Didn't know this existed.

3. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    It's awesome!
    Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art In The Galaxy, by Pablo Hidalgo
    [​IMG]

BadCane likes this.
  4. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015

OMG, that's two kinds of awesome. I'll definitely give it a go.

Taalcon likes this.
  5. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    Are the X-Wing series books standalones or they all follow the same story? I mean, is "Wedge's Gamble" the direct sequel to "Rogue Squadron"?

If that's the case, then it's a 10 volume series. Hard do follow and find nowadays.

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    It's basically a two part series -- the Stackpole books are all connected, and the Allston books are all connected, but the only connections between the two are Wedge and Hobbie.

Question of my own -- does the Executor, or a ISD, have a chapel?

7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The X-Wing books form multiple series in one. Rogue Squadron through Bacta War form a single story. Then there's Wraith Squadron through Solo Command are like a trilogy. Isard's Revenge is a standalone that is heavily tied to the first four books. Starfighters or Adumar and Mercy Kill are standalones.

BadCane likes this.
  8. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I know these books themselves aren't considered canon anymore, but is there anything in the following novels that directly contradicts canon?

Cloak of Deception
    Shatterpoint
    The Cestus Deception
    Dark Rendezvous
    Razor's Edge
    Honor Among Thieves

9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Shatterpoint introduces the idea of a horrible event gone wrong on Haruun Kal during the Clone Wars that mentally compromises Depa Billaba. While this general concept has been maintained in the new canon, the details of it, which are talked about/explored in the Kanan comic, are very, very, very different.

Balaaa and BadCane like this.
  10. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015

I asked that because I want to start reading the series, but I'm afraid I wont be able to find all the books and find myself with an incomplete story in my possession.

11. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    They are all still available on Kindle/Nook/Ereader formats, and have been reprinted in pb, and are readily available online, etc, in addition to inexpensive older used copies on amazon, etc.
    [​IMG]

vncredleader and BadCane like this.
  12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    It should be noted though that if you are in the UK then you won't be able get them on Kindle for some reason (non of the 90s books are on the UK kindle store except Shadows of the Empire and the Tales books for some reason) so you'll probably have to find some cheap used copies (they were out of print but with the Legends books being reprinted you might be able to find new copies now though).

BadCane likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Per old EU (Solider of the Empire goes into it) they would not since the Empire is deeply anti-religious and whilst they might tolerate “religious quirks” in its soldiers/officers they will certainly not allow them in public or if they should interfere with duty. If you need moral boosting in the Empire you get the propaganda treatment from your ISB “moral officer”.

vncredleader, Jedi Ben and Gamiel like this.
  14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I dimly recall an instance where a female commander of an Imperial ship defects with her crew? But I can't for the life of me remember who this character is nor in which book it happens! I think it was in the new canon, maybe Lost Stars. Anyone know the name of this Imperial?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't recall a newcanon example offhand (Ciena never abandons the Empire).

In Legends, there was Captain Illior from the X-Wing series - but her defection was between books - I think between Rogue Squadron and Wedge's Gamble:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Uwlla_Iillor

redxavier likes this.
  16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Yes! Thank you. so. much. Was driving me crazy...

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, and didn't Aftermath mention an Imperial Political Officer, akin to the Soviet Political officer that could countermand any orders his military counterpart made?

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Pretty much ISB's job anyway.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - the Political Officers of the newcanon are consistently portrayed as ISB members.

20. SithUnleashed

SithUnleashed Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2017
    It's okay, not really any surprises or "great" moments. It's honestly exactly like what I thought it was going to be when I heard about a Post-Clone Wars Ahsoka novel. If you like Ahsoka and want to learn a little more about the Empire in its early days than I would suggest it. It's also not a very long read.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone have a book schedule for this year?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside the Morgukai and Mandalorians what warrior orders/cultures do we know of that have reputation as Jedi-killers?

BadCane likes this.
  23. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015

The Dathomirian witches, the Nightsisters maybe?

Gamiel likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Clone troopers after Order 66.

25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    All right, I finished Battlefront: Twilight Company a few days ago and I am thinking of new Star Wars novels to read. Right now I am highly considering Revan, The Force Unleashed I and II, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, The Thrawn Duology, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye.
    Which of those books do you all consider worth reading?