Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I try to turn off the screens (PC and TV) at least two hours before bedtime, partly because I've read the blue light from them can disturb sleep (I tend toward insomnia so I don't need that added problem). I spend that time reading.
    Snax Rebo likes this.
  2. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    So has there ever been any confirmation on whether or not General Madine survived the Liberation Day attacks in Life Debt? It would kind of suck if he died ignominiously in BOTH continuities.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. spicer Jedi Master

star 4
    I couldn't find the thread for the (canceled :() Star Wars: The Essential Characters, so I'll post this here instead. The incredible Doug Wheatley posted two unfinished versions of the cover
    Show Spoiler
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I hope that LFL and/or MARVEL gives this man a job in Star Wars. Aside from the cover to A New Dawn, and a handful of illustrations for that Kanan/Hera short story in SW Insider, it seems he's been forgotten. Oh, and I hope that this character guide gets released some day. More Legends? Yes please! Or at the very least, get re-purposed for the canon.
    Kylun likes this.
  4. bhagavandas Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Morning! In which sequence I should start reading The Last Padawan comics??

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk
  5. ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master

star 4
    Anybody read KENOBI by John Jackson Miller? Thoughts on it?
    Jedi Ben and Darth Dnej like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I read it when it came out in HC - I enjoyed it. I'm also currently between books 2 & 3 for his Prey series for ST. Those aren't bad if you like Klingons.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Feb 7, 2017
  7. iPodwithnomusic Jedi Knight

star 2
    You're talking about the Kanan comics right? Read them in release order.
    spicer, bhagavandas and Taalcon like this.
  8. Taalcon Force Ghost

star 4
    This. While each arc has a flashback story set at different points in the past, it is designed to be read in order, there's an overarching present-day story throughout all issues, and there are moments in the earlier-set flashback scene that rely on recognition from having read the later-set flashback scenes that occurred in earlier issues.
  9. TheAvengerButton Jedi Master

star 4
    Question time because I'm confused.

Is [IMG] considered to be a DC-15s or a DC-15a in new canon? In the old EU it was a dc-15s. But now it's a DC-15a with the rifle just being a DC-15. IS THIS CORRECT?
  10. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Beside dogs and vornskrs, what domesticable animals that are/can be used for tracking do we know of?
  11. spicer Jedi Master

star 4
    The T'surr spicers from Telerath apparently used this reptile for such a purpose:
    Show Spoiler
    [IMG]

The species of the reptile is unknown. It appeared in Dark Times: Blue Harvest #4.
    Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  12. Snax Rebo Jedi Knight

star 4
    Massiffs, as well as Anooba. Embo kept one of the latter as a pet.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Snax Rebo, Feb 8, 2017
    Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  13. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 6
    What if in 33 BBY, a ship with Palpatine, Maul, Dooku, and Plagueis on it got blown up?
  14. Snax Rebo Jedi Knight

star 4
    I imagine the Republic would eventually collapse under it's own corruption.
    Last edited by Snax Rebo, Feb 9, 2017
  15. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    Not sure I agree. The Republic's corruption had been pushed for a thousand years by the Banite Sith in the shadows. It's at least possible that people like Padme, the Bails, and Valorum could have saved it with the Sith out of the picture (Cloak of Deception certainly makes this case).
    Jedi Ben, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  16. BadCane Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just read Star Wars #19 and

Show Spoiler
    why the hell did Leia let Aphra go? I mean, the in universe explanation is not really convincing. Leia just let her go because she promised to do good? C'mon... The way I see it, that's was forced so she could get back to the Vader comic.

Thoughts?
  17. Snax Rebo Jedi Knight

star 4
    Leia took her word on it and tries to see the good in people (as evident in the second SW annual). But, as you can tell, it really wasn't the best choice.
    BadCane likes this.
  18. Darth Dnej Jedi Knight

star 4

Great book. It really brought Obi-Wan down to earth. It's on the long side, but it's worth reading.
  19. SpecForce Trooper Jedi Knight

star 4
    Strills are tracking hounds used by Mandalorians. Akk Hounds were used by Stormtroopers for sniffing out organics.
  20. Snax Rebo Jedi Knight

star 4
    Is the D in dark side/dark sider capitalized? I can never figure out if I want to capitalize it or not.
  21. Valryk Jedi Padawan

star 1
    Are there more novels/comics that feature Vader as main character and delve into his thoughts similar to Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader? Might I mention I already read Lords of the Sith and his Marvel comic.
    spicer likes this.
  22. Snax Rebo Jedi Knight

star 4
    I highly recommend those two, especially Lords of the Sith. Be warned, a fair portion of that book isn't about Vader.
  23. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 6
    That's what I thought made the book good - that the parts without the Sith were very compelling (for me at least).
    Snax Rebo likes this.
  24. Snax Rebo Jedi Knight

star 4
    Oh I totally agree. Seeing Cham and his group was awesome and I especially liked the incompetent imperial they forced into working with them.
    Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Grievousdude Jedi Knight

star 4

While he's not the main character in it as such, Shadows of the Empire which is set between TESB and ROTJ has a subplot involving Vader which has a few scenes that get inside his head. I'd say it's worth checking out for that.
    Kylun likes this.