main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    thanks

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Still Legends - but a good example of how TCW and Legends worked together.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It was written before the no attachment rule and retconned as a different sect of Jedi that doesn't have that rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  4. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013

Is that the same as the Altis sect that appears in Traviss' Commando novels?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Same one.

Djinn Altis is mentioned by name as Callista's master, in Children of the Jedi. No Prisoners was written by Traviss but doesn't include her clone characters or Mando ones - it's not part of the Commando series.

6. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    that okay I'm just interested in Legends I do not care about the New canon Especially post ROTJ

Daneira likes this.
  7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Is there anyway of reading the old Hyperspace articles? -- all I can find is Evil Never Dies. I really want to read the Nagai-Tof War article they did there.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Sadly they are gone for good.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I wonder if James McFadden, who wrote that article, might be able to supply it if someone were to ask. He used to be fairly active on the fan sites. I believe he's the same JMM as our JMM

And while not a match to the original article, his Endnotes for that Nagai/Tof article are still available: http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/swfa/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Gone but not forgotten! Anyone who want the article send a message to Psychenous. This user of the year has compiled almost the whole of the hyperspace articles in a single download! Really, the guy is a savior send from the Force.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Is he on this site?

12. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Yes, just start a conversation with him on private.

13. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks everyone! I'll do so.

14. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    what is anakin solo and the LEGACY Comics characters lightsaber forms

15. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Would someone mind doing me a slight favor? I'm running a Star Wars Model UN committee at my university this fall, and I'd appreciate someone canon-checking my list of positions.

Daneira likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If I understand right so are sabers part of the Imperial dress uniforms at the Arkanis Academy and I was wondring if it's known if the swords are just there to look good or if they are trained in their use?

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I remember finding out the meaning of Stormtrooper ID prefixes while reading one of the source books. It explained the meaning of TD, TS, TK and the like. The book was either the Imperial Sourcebook or one of the WotC guides. If someone knows which specific guid this information was from, it would be very helpful.

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think Jason Fry said he got that bit from one of the Han Solo books where it shows him being kicked out of the service and they ceremonially break his saber. If I recall, it mentions they were more decorative than functional.

That being said, I'm sure at the Imperial academies they get hand-to-hand weapons training and would be able to utilize those skills with their ceremonial saber if they needed to. I'm guessing it wouldn't be regularly sharpened or anything though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  19. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

I think Wookiepedia has this info, but I'm not sure.

On a separate note, are they still releasing ebook versions of the Del Rey sampler?

20. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I read in a few news articles yesterday about a Celebration panel where Leeland Chee said there is no truth in Star Wars and anything can be overturned or changed....this absolutely shocked and disappointed me. I thought since the schism from Legends, the new CANON would be one unified timeline where everything would fit with the movies and that would be THE definitive SW story. Now they are saying anything can be changed on a whim?? I feel like I wasted my money buying new canon stuff.

I have looked all over youtube and can't find this panel anywhere. Can anyone clear this up for me and point to which panel it was discussed in? I'm SURE and certainty HOPE that it makes more sense in context.

Thanks.

21. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that's going to be a slow burn fire.

I can see what they're going for as one of Legends biggest weaknesses in the last years was the lack of escape pods to jettison bad plots, so this time they're looking to have some but this does go contrary to the message they've put out for the last three years.

Part of me says they should bite the bullet and do a Trek and say only the films count, but they can't do that because of the way they have been interlinking things very effectively.

The most charitable reading? This is aimed at the small details not always aligning - the overall story direction and character trajectories? They won't change.

Kylun and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, my guess here is he's being pragmatic and wants to avoid the rampant retconning that took place in the old EU. (although part of me misses the retcons... there was an art to that craft...)

24. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    I'm hoping he just means information from Legends. He talks about one of the bounty hunters from ESB and I don't believe that character was featured in any canon stories yet. Hopefully he just means certain specific technical information about characters we take for granted because of Legends is subject to change.

Otherwise this is making me want to just stick to Legends if nothing is set in stone anyway.

25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Quick question: What year did Rae Sloane become a Grand Admiral. Wookieepedia doesn't seem to say wether it was 4 or 5 ABY. I haven't read Aftermath but I'm doing research on Grand Admirals.