main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    She was Admiral in Aftermath, became Grand Admiral in Life Debt, but not sure of the exact chronology.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any cultures* that have a dueling/jousting tradition?

* beside the Serp

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    At the time of the end of the Clone Wars, the planet Telerath was controlled by two rival gangs of slavers (with Chagrian leadership) and spicers (with T'surr leadership). They had a so-called Sword Law, where disputes were settled with sword duels. The best swordsmen hold a higher social status. Consequently, blasters, detonators and almost any other weapon that wasn't a sword were banned. This is from the Blue Harvest arc in the Dark Times comics by Dark Horse.

Barriss_Coffee, Kylun and Gamiel like this.
  4. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Found it, starts at 14:23:

Honestly, Leland does make a comment at the end about 'truth' being malleable but the whole interview is a basic view on what the story group is and what it does. Personally I think in the context of the conversation it was probably just an attempt at a joke that didn't come across well and as usual a site makes some clickbait out of it.

StartCenterEnd and Vthuil like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A) Who the **** are the Serp? (don't answer, it's rhetorical) :p

B) The people of Adumar are big into blastsword duels, as well as starfighter dogfights that could possibly count as jousts.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Gamiel likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What I really want to know is why Gamiel is so obsessed with the Serp.

8. sketchpatrol

sketchpatrol Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2017
    Hello! I'm trying to read through all the new canon books in order. I just finished Tarkin and I'm wondering if I should read Thrawn or A New Dawn first? Thanks!

9. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Sorry Double post

10. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Lords of the Sith take place during the same time (maybe even year I think) as Tarkin. Next in timeline placement is A New Dawn. Thrawn is excellent and takes place over an unknown period of time though. There's also Dark Disciple and Catalyst that take place before Tarkin. That's everything up until that point published by Del Rey.

EDIT: I guess I should just finish my answer. Then we get to Battlefront: Twilight Company which takes place prior to ANH up until ESB. Heir to the Jedi takes place shortly after ANH. Then the Aftermath trilogy (Aftermath, Life Debt, Empire's End) cover the first year after ROTJ. Finally Bloodline takes place six years before TFA.

11. sketchpatrol

Apr 18, 2017

Thanks! I've read Catalyst and Lords of the Sith already, Dark Disciple is sitting on my shelf but I'm going to wait to read that one I think until I need a continuity break.

12. sketchpatrol

Apr 18, 2017
    I've also finsihed the Aftermath trilogy. I read those first and then decided to go back to the earlier timeline material.

13. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    What was the endgame for the CIS? Like, if Palps had an aneurysm and Greivous a real good day, what was the ideal post-war CIS Galaxy?

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This could easily be a thread of its own. Secret Sith conspiracy notwithstanding, I don't think they were trying to take over the galaxy. They just wanted to be left alone and not be part of the already-nearly-the-Empire Republic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I asked this in the wing Series Fan Club but Did not get an answer when Erisi revealed as the Spy in The Krytos Trap was it a Surprise or did everyone saw it coming

16. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    If I recall, it was the sort of thing where it was obvious in retrospect and not terribly shocking, but I don't think they were suspicious of her before that point.

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    You mean readers or characters in the story because I am asking about the readers

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It has been a long time since I first read those books, but I remember knowing for sure a while before it was revealed. It is telegraphed hard before hand and I suspected her early on.

19. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Oh, as a reader I had no idea.

20. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I recall it being ambiguous, but Erisi was sort plotted either into being killed tragically or betraying them, so I wasn't too surprised.

vncredleader likes this.
  21. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Did the Rebels ever set up another base after Hoth in Canon or Legends?

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, in the EU the most notable one was Haven Base on Arbra from the Marvel comics.

Nom von Anor and vncredleader like this.
  23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Quick question: What year did Rae Sloane become a Grand Admiral. Wookieepedia doesn't seem to say wether it was 4 or 5 ABY. I haven't read Aftermath but I'm doing research on Grand Admirals.

24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Long time star wars reader but never been interested in legends post ROTJ. recently I discovered a treasure trove of old star wars books in a charity shop and snatched them all up for a bargain price, these include:

Survivor's Quest
    Tales Of The Empire
    Crystal Star
    I Jedi
    The jedi Apprentice Trilogy
    The corellian Trilogy
    Truce At Bakura

Any advice on where to start?

vncredleader and Grievousdude like this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Let's see...

-I think most of the Tales of the Empire book can be read whenever (good choice, that one)
    -There's a plot in the Corellian Trilogy that's much better understood/appreciated AFTER reading Truce at Bakura
    -The JAT is essential for understanding most of the post-ROTJ era, but like a lot of KJA's books it's a mixed bag (I always think he has good ideas, just terrible plots)
    -Crystal Star can be read almost whenever... I think you know it's a classic, right?:p
    -Survivor's Quest tag-teams Outbound Flight, if you read that. You can read them in any order. I read SQ first, but I've heard people do the opposite. I guess you need to have read the Thrawn trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology to really appreciate it though.
    -I Jedi is really good. Except it goes off the deep end in some places. But it's one of the few SW books I'd bother to read again (it's LONG!). Thing is, it's best read after the first few X-wing novels but Stackpole, so you can understand how Corran goes through the hero's journey (and think here, Odysseus and his pride hero's-journey, not humble Bilbo Baggins hero's-journey... Corran really takes a hit in I Jedi). The other thing about I Jedi is it has to be read after the JAT to understand some of the events, because it overlaps with the events in those books in certain parts, but was written years later with the intent the audience already read the JAT.

So:
    TOTE whenever
    TAB before Corellian Trilogy
    JAT before I Jedi
    CS whenever... prob after JAT, but not necessary
    SQ.... depends on your Thrawn/Mara knowledge.