Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Zeta1127 Jedi Master

star 5
    To a certain extent, I think that's what happens when you get an author that was pretty much only known as a Star Trek author.
  2. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I think a lot of that was based on the Firrerre sleeper ship (my god does Trek have a lot of sleeper ships!) and Waru being extradimensional. But the whole Hethrir/Tigris Force plot, kidnapping the Solo kids, etc was very Star Warzy.
    Wow yeah I forgot Lusa was in that one.
  3. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 6
    How could you forget Lusa!? They were going to cut off her horns!
    Daneira, Nom von Anor and Gamiel like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi Mod and Soliloquist of SWTV

Manager
    star 6
    And they kept hurting Mr. Chamberlain's Wyrwulf!
    Nom von Anor and Gamiel like this.
  5. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    The Crystal Star is enjoyable imo.
    I love the Anakin/Jaina/Jacen parts of the story. And Waru.
    Dislike Han and Luke though.
    Gamiel likes this.
  6. PCCViking Force Ghost

star 9
    I didn't mind Han's part, but yeah, Luke was...ugh, just ugh in that novel.
  7. Kyrstoph Ehlren Jedi Youngling

Hello Friends! :)

I was wondering what titles/series are important reads.... BEFORE moving onto the New Jedi Order Series?

From my research, it appears that the Thrawn Trilogy, and Duology are considered essential prerequisites (which I own both, and have read the Trilogy).
    What else?
    perhaps the Jedi Academy Trilogy? The X Wing Series?

Please give me a list of books you consider important to better understanding the New Jedi Order series :)

Thank You! :)
    Last edited by Kyrstoph Ehlren, Jun 9, 2017
  8. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    X-Wing series, Corellian trilogy, Young Jedi Knights, Junior Jedi Knights, Survivor's Quest. etc
    Last edited by Force Smuggler, Jun 9, 2017
  9. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    You only need one book: Rogue Planet by Greg Bear. That's all. Mayyyybe Visions of the Future.

X-Wing, Corellian Trilogy, etc. have almost nothing to do with the NJO series.

The NJO was basically a soft reboot... a place where all fans can jump in, regardless of how much other EU they read before it.
    Last edited by Ghost, Jun 9, 2017
  10. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I think the most emotionally significant books would be the Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights series because all the characters used in those appear in some way, shape, or form in the NJO, but they're long and most people didn't read them before the NJO and did alright. But for me it'd be like watching the second half of Titanic and skipping the first hour or two before they hit the iceberg.
    Mia Mesharad and Daneira like this.
  11. MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan

star 3
    the most emotional book for me is the NJO book Edge of Victory duology. Edge of Victory: Conquest and Edge of Victory: Rebirth.
    I will never forgive Greg Keyes. Never.
  12. BookExogorth Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi! I have a question similar to that of the above person's. I read Vector Prime (really enjoyed it) but I'm not sure I have access to/could buy all of the series. Of that series, which books are the most consequential, or the best?
    P.S. Did I miss something with Cloak of Deception? I read it, but it did not like it much; why do most lists recommend it?
  13. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    CoD pretty much, single-handed, made the politics of TPM work - a major achievement if ever there was one.
  14. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I had a rough relationship with Cloak. Like Dr. Strange. We didn't get along at first -- in fact it was my first Luceno novel and I thought it was ****. There were fragments of a plot, but most of the time it was a catwalk of 2-bit cameos and patchy action (we have to do this! No! Wait! We have to do that! In space! Out of space! In the water! Out again!). Nobody was developed. Luceno had his hands tied and was forced to develop political scenes where characters didn't get to the point because he didn't know what would happen in the Clone Wars yet and who would be important/not.

BUT -- on second reading it's not so bad. With post-ROTS knowledge. Luceno's come to be one of my all-time favorite authors. But I still think Cloak was his weakest, if only because he didn't reach the balance of plot/encyclopedic infodump (that latter's not necessarily an insult -- DP and Labyrinth of Evil had it and were better for it).
    vncredleader likes this.
  15. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    Did we ever have a thread for the Rogue One novelization by Freed, or was it just lumped in with the general movie one? Can't seem to find anything.
  16. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
    Anja Gallandro. At least I found a fan-fic that used her a great deal from Dark Journey onwards.
  17. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yeah, I don't think it had its own thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Wrong thread
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Jun 18, 2017
  19. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    At the end of Dark Empire: Empire's End, Palpatine arrives with two henchman. We see one, T'iaz, get his hand cut off by Rayf Ysanna, but that's the last panel T'iaz is in. The other henchman urges Palpatine to retreat but then is not "on screen" for Palpatine getting shot by Han or anything else.

I understand that this was a huge story that had to be condensed into two issues, but what that results in is that Palpatine's henchmen's fates are unaccounted for. I don't know how to phrase this like a question lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nom von Anor and Gorefiend like this.
  20. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Can someone shoot me the names of some minor separatist leaders? Like, very minor.
  21. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Miraj Scintel level? Guum Sam level? Bec Lawise level? The old EU had a lot of military commander seps too, if you want those. Like Oro Dassyne? I can probably come up with a few from the old Clone Wars Adventures comics...
  22. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Like, Sev'rance Tann level, I guess.
  23. SpecForce Trooper Jedi Knight

star 4
    Tann was Supreme Commander. High level.
  24. Grievousdude Jedi Master

star 4
    Lok Durd, Mar Tukk, Whorm Loathsam and Nuvo Vindi all from TCW Season 1.
  25. SpecForce Trooper Jedi Knight

star 4
    What is the purpose of CompForce? Civvie volunteers? MPs? Low security assignments? Normal troopers and stormtroopers seem to have most roles covered.
    Last edited by SpecForce Trooper, Jun 18, 2017