Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gunsmithcat Jedi Youngling

If anyone wants to buy Star Wars comics digitally, comixology has a large sale at their site.

https://www.comixology.com/Star-War...gn=E170707001_SpiderMan_Homecoming_Sale_Email

I'm thinking about replacing many physical comics of my collection with digital copies and i even ordered a 14" tablet to get the original comic size. They just take up so much space (4245 books so far...) and then the weight to carry when moving or setting them up differently, and also the nightmare of a fire in the house, or some other catastrophe. Does anyone has any experiance with 14" tablets and how comics look on them?
  2. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Aww an innocent of the post-Denning generation.
    PCCViking, vncredleader and Vthuil like this.
  3. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh yeah. I am avoiding that stuff like the plague.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    A day after posting that I actually feel a bit bad tbh -- I liked Star by Star and met Denning at a convention in which he was a total sweetheart, not some loony megalomaniac. But I think he sort of got into a writing rut toward the end there. And squib jokes... they come so easy...
    vncredleader likes this.
  5. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    TBH, I kind of always found Squibs annoying whether they were written by Denning or not.
  6. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah I think they're best in really small doses. Since Harry Potter was brought up already, they're a bit like the house elves... or better yet, Peeves the Poltergeist. Good for certain roles but you really don't want to overuse them because the cutesy-violent factor can drive your readers nuts. Worse still was that they tended to be jerkish know-it-alls.

I guess Ewoks could be associated with this theme, but I feel like the Ewok cartoons and movies gave them more character development so they were more relatable than those freaky little blue chihuahuas in boots.
    Vthuil and vncredleader like this.
  7. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    I can understand that sentiment. I make a lot of jokes about James Tynion cause I loath his Detective Comics run and yet I liked the guy's stuff before hand and rooted for him to get detective in the first place. Not to mention I have talked to him on twitter and he is the coolest dude. It is so easy to make a joke about a writer and then feel a bit bad about it later cause these people are still fans and 9 times out of ten are good people.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Having only read his run on Talon, what's wrong with Detective?
  9. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    Pretty much Tynion really likes these characters but he does not know how to write them super well. it's like he takes a bullet point list of traits and then goes off that with out understanding that those traits need to actual form a full person. He also has some really bad lines and just overall is a pretty meh writer on that book mainly cause he does not have good voices for anyone on a team book which become troubling
    Grievousdude likes this.
  10. ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master

star 4
    Just finished reading the Thrawn trilogy for the 2nd time. What should I read next? I want to see what happens to Han and Leia's kids
  11. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7

Errrrrr..... Let's go the Windows option: Are you sure?
  12. ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes
  13. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    Read The Corellian trilogy.

Or dive into Vector Prime.
  14. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 7
  15. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    Those books for when they are in school. Vector Prime is for when they are a bit older like around 15.
    But they grow up fast.

You have been warned.
  16. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Followed by NJO, DN, LOTF

Final warning as to their fates - click at own risk:

Show Spoiler
    Anakin is killed in the Vong invasion. 5-10 years later Jacen goes to the dark side, becoming Darth Caedus and is ultimately killed by Jaina in a duel.
    ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  17. ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master

star 4
    What books do I read this in ?

Would you say kylo ren is a copycat of Darth Caedus
  18. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    no

For Anakin, read Star by Star in NJO series by Troy Denning

For Jacen, read Legacy of the Force series Invincible by Troy Denning

For Jaina, read Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse, again by Troy Denning.

After that, for more Jaina, read the Legacy series of comics
    Last edited by DARTH_MU, Jul 17, 2017
    PCCViking likes this.
  19. PCCViking Force Ghost

star 9
    Jacen would poke fun of Kylo Ren; Darth Caedus would sneer at Ren.
  20. Darth_Duck Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    What? She's not in them at all.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    She's in the Invasion NJO comics, at least - that might have been what was intended.
  22. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    I meant Jaina's descendants and Ania Solo.
  23. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    I remember there being a thread on here in which Shaak Ti's (latest) canonical death was confirmed, but I can't remember where or when. Anybody?
  24. Grievousdude Jedi Master

star 4
    Shaak Ti was shown being killed by Vader in a vision seen by Yoda in the Yoda arc of TCW. I hope that answers your question.:)
  25. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Do we know of any species or culture that have been described as boring/dull/similar?

But that's just a possible future, visions only show what can (and sometime could have) happened so it is possible that she died some other way.
    Last edited by Gamiel, Jul 18, 2017