Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    You know, Agamar being SW Singapore was really not the impression I was given by The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons ;)
    Last edited by Gamiel, Aug 18, 2017
  2. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    Using the "hyperlane crossroads are important" interpretation, It's less a tourist attraction and more a stopping point "crossroads town" so to speak - but that's enough.

Might their advertising slogan be something along the lines of "Agamar - Halfway To Everywhere"?
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Aug 18, 2017
    Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  3. JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Are there any new novels coming out besides phasma who I don't care about??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Nothing in terms of adult books that I'd class as a novel:

Point of a View is short stories
    So is Canto Bight, except those are closer to novellas
    The Last Jedi is a novelisation of the film
    Barriss_Coffee and JediMatteus like this.
  5. JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I hope we see more material after TLJ comes out

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Well, you'd think they had a whole load planned that they just haven't told us about but I expected that post-TFA and it didn't happen.
    JediMatteus likes this.
  7. JediKnight75 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd imagine they'll have another novel in late winter and one in the spring. My guess would be one is ST related; possibly a Luke and Ben novel, or a sequel to Bloodline. Then they may do a Rebels sequel. When Rebels began, they had a prequel novel and they released a season three prequel after that season concluded. Since this will be the final season, I think they'll release a related book around the finale. So we can expect more novels, I just think they're waiting to announce them. If they are related to the films and TV show, they'd want to prevent any possible spoilers and so wouldn't even want to hint at the books. We can probably expect an announcement in October or November.

In the meantime, I'd say From a Certain Point of View and Canto Bight will be worth reading. They both have great contributing authors and some very creative story ideas. I expect both books will be a lot of fun.
    Jedi Ben and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Oh both of those I expect to enjoy: Point of View is a unique undertaking and Canto Bight has JJM as one of the authors.
    spicer and JediKnight75 like this.
  9. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    They are certain to make a new series Junior Jedi Knight and Young Jedi Knight series for Luke's Jedi pre massacre.
    I should probably be grateful at this point. At least there is no danger of some 14 years old being shaped by YZVs. Maybe she'll just be tortured horribly and turn KOR, similar to what Bastila Shan went through.
  10. JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey I loved the NJO series. Even that's a better fate then what Luke currently is getting. Great books.

11. JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey I loved the NJO series. Even that's a better fate then what Luke currently is getting. Great books.

12. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I bet we'll get a lot of Luke books next year. Most of the big secrets in the ST seem to surround him, so that's why they're probably laying low on any announcements right now. Currently their PR system seems to be to throw a porg at us every time we ask a TLJ question...
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Aug 23, 2017
  13. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Do we know what movies inspiered Lucas when it comes to the Mos Eisley cantina?
  14. Kyrstoph Ehlren Jedi Youngling

Hello Friends! :)
    I was wondering if any of you could suggest what novel I should purchase next?

Currently I own....

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void
    The Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collective Stories
    Old Republic: Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance, Annihiliation
    Knight Errant
    The Darth Bane Trilogy
    Darth Plagueis
    Kenobi
    The Thrawn Trilogy
    The Thrawn Duology
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Survivors Quest
    Outbound Flight
    Allegiance
    Choices of One
    Scoundrels
    X Wing Series Books 1 through 9
    I, Jedi
    Dark Disciple
    Lords of the Sith
    Battlefront: Twilight Company
    Battlefront 2: Inferno Squad
    Lost Stars
    The Rise of the Empire (Tarkin & A New Dawn Collection)
    Thrawn
    Bloodline

I have read the far majority of them
    I am considering purchasing Shadows of the Empire, and the Han Solo Trilogy (A.C. Crispin) next

what do you think?
    any other suggestions?
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  15. Grievousdude Jedi Master

star 4
    Shadows of the Empire and the Han Solo trilogy are pretty good. I also recommend Darth Maul Shadow Hunter, Yoda Dark Rendezvous and the Coruscant Nights trilogy.
    Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Dagobahsystem Force Ghost

star 6
    @Kyrstoph Ehlren

Nice collection you have!
    Lost Tribe of the Sith and Darth Plagueis are two of my favorites.

Definitely read Shadows of the Empire. It's great.

Also, you might add The Dark Lord Trilogy to your collection, which consists of Laybrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is good too.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    The Medstar duology is pretty good as well. It has a MASH feel about it.
  18. DARTH_MU Jedi Master

star 4
    After you have read AC Crispin's work with the Han Solo Trilogy, might I suggest Children of the Jedi and Darksaber, as well as Planet of Twilight?
    They are about the romantic interest of Luke Skywalker other than Mara Jade.
    Darksaber is almost like a parody, the Star Wars version of Terminator 3, if you are looking for a fun time laughing out loud, it is for you.
  19. Space_Wolf Jedi Master

star 3
    Years ago, I bought one quite a number of the Essential Guide to books, and one of them was the Essential Guide To Characters (it was the first one.) I am old enough to watch the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, (the latter was one of my favourites) so I read the entry regarding Wicket. More recently, I came across some of the episodes from that series and there was a mention of a storyline involving Wicket and Logray not getting along because Wicket objects to some of Logray's rituals, but this storyline is not even hinted at in the cartoons. (I always assumed that it was in the cartoons, but I'd forgotten it as I'd not seen them for years and was quite young at the time, and I don't think I'd find it in the Ewok movies that were made.) So, is this storyline in the comics, or is it elsewhere?
  20. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    In Legends, when was the Declaration of Rebellion? Wookieepedia says it was around 2 BBY, but the text refers to the senate being dissolved, so it would have to be, at the earliest, a day or two before Yavin.

21. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    Maybe there were two Declarations - one in 2 BBY, one right after Yavin?

That, or Palpatine had suspended (which the Rebels modify to "dissolved") the Senate more than once.
  22. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    How do Sullustans put on shirts? Their heads are much bigger then the neck holes on the shirt Nien Numb is wearing...
    Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  23. Darth_Duck Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    His shirt looks like it does up in the front. So I'd suspect they put their shirts on one arm at a time.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    comradepitrovsky likes this.
  24. T7-01 Jedi Padawan

star 1
    Did someone ever used the term "Star Wars" in universe?
  25. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    What decides whether a thread is stickied nowadays?

This forum has too many stickies...

But...

It also hasn't stickied the two big book releases (Phasma and Leia)... yet has stickied other comics that not nearly as many people are talking about.