Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
  2. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Was Biggs at Scarif, or on Tatooine as the deleted scenes suggest?
  3. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    Hasn't been established. One of the few Legends things I hope gets changed is that he actually jumps ship between talking to Luke and the Battle of Yavin, as opposed to already being with the Rebellion when he comes back to Tatooine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    Hasn't been established. One of the few Legends things I hope gets changed is that he actually jumps ship between talking to Luke and the Battle of Yavin, as opposed to already being with the Rebellion when he comes back to Tatooine.

5. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    Does it really make a ton of sense for Biggs to be a rookie as well as Luke at Yavin?
  6. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    Legends had Biggs as a moderately-rookie Rebel, but a fairly experienced Imperial - he had already flown TIEs in battle by the time he defected. It even had him go on one mission for the Rebellion between jumping ship, and the Battle of Yavin.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Knight

star 4
    Those Biggs comics were great. This makes me want to read them again.
  8. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    To this day I still remember that 2-frame scene that went something like "the folks on Commenor made fat jokes about Jek. So he beat the **** outta them." Pretty sure that's exactly how it went.
  9. DelRiego Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Is there any source that mentions where do these type of last names come from? Skywalker, Fardreamer, Darklighter, Sunrider.

I know the real reason is that they sound 'spacey', but I mean in-universe (other than Alien Exodus -ugh-). Something like the Tattooine settlers coming from a specific place where those names originated or slave families adopting them at some point etc. (btw, no stories on Shmi pre TPM, right?)

I'm a fan of genealogy.
    Last edited by DelRiego, Sep 15, 2017
  10. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    At least in Legends, Skywalker was said to be a fairly common last name, so its origins probably lie outside Tatooine.

DelRiego likes this.
  11. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    At least in Legends, Skywalker was said to be a fairly common last name, so its origins probably lie outside Tatooine.

12. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd read a book about Luke Skywalker, Agamari dentist often confused for a certain Jedi Master.

"Admiral Daala, our names are the same, that's all. Totally unrelated."
  13. comradepitrovsky Jedi Knight

star 3
    In Legends, how much did Archduke Poggle know about DS1? Like, if it had been finished in the clone wars, could he have made a Geonosian Roving Death Hive?
  14. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 6
    Was the House of Palpatine evil for many generations?
  15. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    Cosinga in Plagueis did not seem like a particularly good man, but I don't think we know anything near enough about the family to generalize beyond that.
  16. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 6
    When the Imperial Senate existed, did Palpatine simply declare whatever laws he wanted or did he find a Senator to introduce legislation for him?
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  17. MrDarth0 Jedi Knight

star 2

I imagine probably the latter.

We know from the books that Palpatine stayed out of public's view most of the time and the day to day running of the Empire was managed by Mas Amedda and others.

I don't think Palpatine cared about the politics once he became the Emperor that much and if he wanted to do something, he probably just did it and didn't bother with laws.
    Dagobahsystem and PCCViking like this.
  18. PCCViking Force Ghost

star 9
    Yeah, the Senate probably just rubber stamped everything he wanted in order to keep up appearances. With the completion of the Death Star, Palpatine knew he could abandon even that pretense.
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  19. Daneira Jedi Knight

star 4
    The Leia book has a lot of scenes in the Apprentice Legislature, which gives a good idea of how the Senate works. Two of the things they went over were "which of these planets should we stripmine" and "how hard should this planet be punished"

20. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    EDIT: missunderstod
    Last edited by Gamiel, Sep 19, 2017
  21. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 6
    Am I correct that the Dark Empire endnotes introduced the idea that lightsabers are created using Adegan Crystals and that Adegan Crystals come from Ilum and that Shadows of the Empire introduced synthetic crystals as part of explaining how Luke constructed his lightsaber, but it was Star Wars insider that established that Ilum crystals tend to be blue and green and that the red crystals used by the Sith tend to be synthetic?
  22. Mantis128 Jedi Youngling

So my nephew's 11th birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting him a book. His reading ability is very high so he just blasts through books targeted towards his age group. I was thinking of getting him one of the new canon books like Tarkin or Aftermath; something big that will take more than 1-2 days for him to read. I was just wondering if the new canon has any really dark themes. He should be able to read basic mature themes but I don't want to get him a book that has rape or detailed torture scenes. I highly doubt a SW novel will have that, but just to be safe.
  23. Shadowrain10 Jedi Youngling

star 1

Tarkin is a good book since it helps to explain his backstory and why he is the way he is in ANH, I don't recall any really bad torture scenes in it either.
  24. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8

It tends to keep the horrible events offscreen. Like when Tarkin sends a pirate ship into the sun - we're told that their screams and pleading were broadcast to the entire system - but we're not shown burning pirates.
    Shadowrain10 likes this.
  25. iPodwithnomusic Jedi Knight

star 3
    I remember A New Dawn had a character I liked get pushed into a pit of acid, where they basically dissolved to death. That is the only book of the new canon that sticks out to me as having anything disturbing that made me cringe. For a younger reader I'd suggest Catalyst and Tarkin, I found them both interesting and they go together well. From what I remember Dark Disciple and LostStars were both romace-heavy with light sex scenes/references, probably not what an 11 year old boy is looking for. Lords of the Sith might be another good one. The two Battlefront books were both grittier war stories, if he enjoyed Rogue One I would highly suggest those two.