main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    ah, had no idea, didn't read that comic, always saw her referred to as a princess and knew there was some new colony made by the survivors so just assumed she kept her tittle and role as princess
    wait, what was she then the senator for in the new republic anyway? edit: nvm, found the answer

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So I noticed the word "crap" in the Ahsoka novel (someone is talking about breathing in smoke) so is that the first, and possibly only, instance of the word "crap" in Star Wars? Legends or Canon!!

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    In canon, I remember Doctor Aphra #15 saying it, too. "The Violet Ghost. Mysterious stranger making a name in swordcraft and incorruptible morals. Probably an undercover prince, some crap like that." The Ahsoka novel was published over a year before that issue, though.

(This is the kind of, well, crap that sticks in my brain. Can't remember the plot lines of most novels or if I've even read some of what I own, but this came to me immediately. [face_sigh] Maybe because I got a kick out of that character. #VivaVioletGhost #BringViscountGlorioBack)

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can be a pretender so long as you have a legitimate claim, but that won't make you the rightful ruler or anything like that.

You can't be a ruling sovereign if there's no realm to rule, but a lot of former royal families continue to hold titles in pretense because they have not relinquished their claims. It's sort of a thing for them. Whether or not anyone else -- including successor governments -- acknowledges said claims is another matter.

RaptorMusic and Gamiel like this.
  5. C.fuller306

C.fuller306 Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2018
    I've been reading a lot of Thrawn: Alliance bits that have been released recently and I like that it seems most of the book takes place in the clone wars. Now I haven't read thrawn yet and was wondering if anyone could tell me if any of it takes place in the clone wars or is it all just before 0BBY. I'd like to see thrawn in the clone wars so outbound flight is another on my read list. :clone:

6. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The original Thrawn novel is all after the Clone Wars and before the Rebels TV show.

7. C.fuller306

Jul 16, 2018
    So the Thrawn book isnt a true origin story but more as an imperial thrawn origin seeing as thrawn was out and about during OBF

8. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Not sure what you mean by true origin story? If you mean a story about Trawn's childhood, growing up, joining the Chiss military, etc., then no, its not that kind of origin story. It is a story about how and why Thrawn joined the Empire.

9. C.fuller306

Jul 16, 2018
    Thanks a lot that clears things up I just started reading thrawn and I'm constantly being blown away by how rad this guy is. Looking forward to alliance. My last question, because OBF is legends and THRAWN isnt can I assume what goes down in OBF didnt happen before THRAWN?

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It would be more accurate to say that you can't assume the events of Outbound Flight happened. Legends stuff gets brought back all the time, though not always in the same form - in cases like this where there's nothing hugely contradictory it's more like "in limbo" than "definitely did not happen".

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  11. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    So I will drive 9 hours with the train and I have a 25€ gift card for my local book store.

They have a combination of Fatal Alliances and Deceived and Dark Disciple. Are they worth a read? I liked TCW and SWTOR.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Fatal Alliance was surprisingly good -- not absolutely fantastic literature or anything, but it had some good messages and memorable moments, which is more than I can say for a lot of books out there. Also I liked the mixed bunch of heroes -- it was meant to be an intro of sorts to TOR, so each of the heroes is one of the professions. It ended up working toward the story's favor since they're all different, so you're sort of rooting for some heroes but maybe not others (depending on your preference). I sometimes like not being stuck with one hero throughout a novel.

Dark Disciple -- do you like Asajj Ventress? Do you like Quinlan Vos? I do. I even like both old and new Quin. But egads this book was awful. Asajj starts out awesome and turns into a lame lovey-dovey sap who doesn't act in the remotest way like Ventress. I don't mind Ventress having a heart once in a while, but this was like the Twilight series with the weird painful love relationship that... is totally not romantic. Just sort of sick. And Quinlan goes batty evil. Not just skirting evil. Like Kylo Ren jerk mass murderer evil.

But as they say, you can be your own judge. DD is certainly not a boring book. You may feel inclined to participate in the action and throw it across the room a few times.:p

13. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Thank you for your opinion. Fatal Alliance sounds good, what about Deceived? I will think about DD. There isn't much CW stuff nowadays :clone:

RaptorMusic likes this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ahahahaha

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree with Barriss. Deceived is one of my all time favorite Star Wars novels, so I highly reccomend it. I have been pretty vocal here of my dislike for DD, but I recon the other two books are worth the price.

16. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    It's interesting they would make a combo of those 3 in particular, lol.

But yes, Deceived was really entertaining, as was The Third Lesson - the prelude to the book, also written by Paul Kemp.

spicer likes this.
  17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    What do you think will be announced this evening at the Publishing Panel? I expect just one ongoing comic series, one miniseries and one novel. I think we may also get some kind of tie-in (a-la Journey to The Force Awakens) to Resistance or The Clone Wars revival

18. C.fuller306

Jul 16, 2018
    Can an author pick if they want their book to be in legends or not? Or does Disney give an author a plot and they have to stay within those parameters?

19. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm a massive fan of TCW and I loved Dark Disciple! I played a lot of SWTOR and have been wanting to read Deceived, but sadly haven't gotten around to it yet.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  20. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Nope, all books written now are strictly new canon.

21. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Is The Kinect Star Wars game considered canon?

It was released in 2010 before the Legends wipe.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    [face_devil][face_laugh][face_beatup]

Gamma626 likes this.
  24. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Where do you guys pick up your RPG sourcebooks? I've been extremely interested as of late in the Wizards of the Coast sourcebooks for their Star Wars game, as well as picking up some of the other WEG books. I got the first three Galaxy Guides on Amazon, but I've noticed their selection as of late is pretty limited.

Any particular sites or venues where you guys buy these books?

25. C.fuller306

Jul 16, 2018
    Best Thrawn books and media? Just about done with the Thrawn book and got OBF coming in the mail, anything else to check out on the blue man himself?