main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    So what's the deal with Shadows of Mindor? Did it get pushed back again?

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It switched release dates with Millennium Falcon.

Shadows of Mindor's release date: December 30th
    Millennium Falcon's release date: October 21st

3. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Ok, I'm asking this as a completionist and as a lark. Since I picked up Chewbacca and Leviathan recently to just own everything I must at least ask. General Grevious the TPB, worth picking up? Worth avoiding like a cancer? Now I do of course expect Excellence to post a turn of phrase likening it to a Hutt butt or some such abomination so I'm not stupid. This is a bit of a loaded question considering I think I know bad from terrible.

With the deluge of The Clone Wars material coming out, this seems the most pointless of all times to ask about the trade. But, still I ask. Other than it sucking, is it any good? :D:confused:

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It had an interesting idea- of Grievous surviviors or fringe Jedi willing to go against the council to target Grievous for assassination, but it's poorly executed, the art is awkward and it's bogged down by an out-of-character subplot involving Grievous creating mini Grievous cyber suits to use on captured younglings.

I'd say it's really not worth your time.

Chewbacca, on the other hand, is quite solid and doesn not belong grouped together with GG and JA:L.

5. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I have a question, kind if off the subject, but in Outbound Flight we meet Thrawn for the first time (according to the chronology). But is there somewhere that I missed which shows how Thrawn ended up with the Empire? In OF it seemed like Thrawn was more of a good guy than in TTT. Don't get me wrong, he was awesome either way, but I just wanted to know if there was anything existing or planned for the future which shoes how Thrawn came to be a Grand Admiral in the Empire's service?

6. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I don't usually post after I read an old EU book but, what a sunrise. I agree. I thought Darksaber was total fun. I would defiantly say it is one of the most underrated Bantam novels and kind of relevant Imperially speaking. The first 3/4 of Luke and Callista's subplot was silly and never ending but overall a fun look back. Doubt I'll ever touch CotJ or PoT.

7. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Obie-2-Kenobi - there's nothing on the burner so far as we know at this point, but the details of the next contract are pretty much unkknown to us at this point. I think the strong implication is that Thrawn, like a lot of other folks in the Empire, started off as a pretty decent guy with a few darker tendencies that the Emperor (and more generally his system) turned into the hardened villain we see in TTT.

- Keralys

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are two or three sources that touch upon this a little. The first is the short story Mist Encounter, which tells of how an exiled Thrawn is discovered by an Imperial landing party shortly after ROTS. I think this is included in the paperback version of OBF.

The other source is the TIE Fighter game, which shows how Thrawn earns his promotion from Vice-Admiral to Grand Admiral. And, IIRC, his actual promotion ceremony is witnessed by Fel and told via flashback in one of the X-Wing comics.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IIRC, it wasn't a promotion ceremony:

10. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    errr, yes, I did indeed mean CLOAK OF Deception, not CESTUS Deception.

About the other books I did not mention:

Darth Bane Books. If you read these without reading any previous Darth Bane short stories, RPG material, or comics you're enjoyment of them will be unbridled. They are engaging, exciting, and have neat surprises. On the downside, if you read them as well as the short story Bane of the Sith and the Jedi vs Sith comics (both of which upon they are partially based) you will be frustrated that, considering how little info there is on this time period, there are as many continuity gaffs, even downright contradictions, as you would expect in a book about Luke! There is considerable evidence the author, despite his talents, did NOT research the original sources, relying instead on flawed and partial info from the Holocron Continuity Database. Let the resulting continuity catastrophes be a lesson to all authors (sadly, I doubt it will).

movie adaptations. These may seem rather redundant if you have watched the movies, but are notable for including cut scenes, some original material, and interesting bits of background info and even contradictory info in some bits (especially for ANH). ROTS one adds a bit more depth to the movie.

Rogue Planet. I personally LOVE this book, but everyone else seems to hate it. May be read as a "prequel" to the NJO, or stand-alone. I liked the unique alien cultures, neat glances at Jedi Temple culture, and enjoyed the character of Raith Sienar. I'm not sure why some people dislike it.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not so sure about that, especially since the end of PoD is right out of JvS.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm pretty sure he's said that he read it. He just decided to ignore it anyway.[face_plain]

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I wouldn't say that he ignored it -- the two versions agree almost word-for-word in places. It's just that he deliberately changed some things and left out certain details.

14. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I wondering the Shadows of the Empire TPB. So how is it? How does it live up to the novel? Evolution any good? Or should I wait for these to omnibus?
    Edit:
    Also, are Shadow Stalkers, The Jabba Tape and Battle of the Bounty hunters all related to SOTE and might end up in said omnibus?

15. allbigg

allbigg Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2008
    I have read nothing past Dark Lord. I am very much a prequel era reader. I was looking to get into the Legacy of the Force. Do I need to read NJO before? I want to read LOTF, but don't want to buy all the books and have no idea what is going on because I didn't read NJO. I know the characters in LOTF are in NJO, but does it help w/ the plots of LOTF. Sorry for long post.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Only so far as certain character backstories, for the most part. They did a good job of making Betrayal a good jumping-on point, though there will be character evolutions that may make more sense if you read the NJO first.

17. allbigg

allbigg Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2008
    I'm running out of prequel novels to read. I think I'm going to buy the LOTF series this weekend. I just finished RC:TC and can't wait until Order 66 comes out.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As good as some books in LOTF are (Inferno is certainly one of the best SW books around)- IMO, the NJO and Dark Nest trilogy were more satisfying reads overall. No need to rush to LOTF, IMO, but don't let me stop you if you're really more curious about it.

19. allbigg

allbigg Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2008
    You have pin-pointed my dilemma. I don't know if I want to spend the time reading 21 books just to get to the series I'm more curious about. On the other hand, I don't want to buy the LOTF series and not have an idea what's going on. I have looked into NJO, but I just don't think I would enjoy them. What's the Dark Nest Triology about? Does that require that you read any books before that? I'm definetly a casual reader, like I said earlier I've read books from Darth Bane - Dark Lord, over a 3 year period, nothing beyond that (chronologically.) I love SW novels (probably more than the movies). I enjoy the Jedi aspect of the books, so I don't know if I would be a huge fan of the Thrawn Triology or not. I appreciate all the feedback you've given me.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Shadow Stalker -- it's very name strikes voltage in me. Brilliant for its single issue.

Yes, Manisphere, it's a side story to SOTE. Loosely though. It's being collected in an omnibus, I forgot its name.

21. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    There are better ways to express that.

22. allbigg

allbigg Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2008
    I've come to the conclusion that trying to start the Legacy of the Force would not be the best thing. I'm the type of person who would need to know the back story as well. I don't have the time (or money) to read NJO & LOTF. So I have to revise my question. What are some good stand alone books or small series set in the ot era and after?

23. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I, Jedi and Shadows of the Empire are the two books that immediately come to mind if you're looking for excellent stand alones. Shadows of the Empire takes place in-between ESB and ROtJ and I, Jedi takes place around Luke creating the NJO. It's actually kind of tough being restricted to stand alone novels post OT. Also Darth Bane: Rule of two is good since you read the first. I think it's coming out in paperback in October. Hope that helps.[face_peace]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DNT is a (mostly) standalone trilogy that doubles as a combination NJO epilogue and LOTF prelude. Most of the book doesn't revolve around NJO plotlines (though there are 1 or 2 notable ones) and it sets a few things in motion that have payoffs in LOTF.

It's a pretty intense and complex trilogy, if you can look past the fact that the main threat is a multi-species hive of giant bugs. It's not universally loved, but might be worth checking out as a sort of prep for some aspects of LOTF.

25. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    As I was saying in my original post about what Prequel novels I should read. The ones that I already have are Cloak of Deception and Darth Bane Path of Destruction.

I'm still going to get Darth Bane Book 2, Shatterpoint maybe, Dark Rendezvous, Outbound Flight, Labrynth of Evil and that's about it. Just thos books since they probably have the most to fill in the gaps between Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

I'm not really fond of the upcoming Clone Wars movie novel since its animated