main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Fact one: it takes bees 4 million flowers to make a kilo of honey. Fcat two: Traviss is writing it, so there's a heavy benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Were it anyone else, I'd say yeah, it'd be a typically breezy novelisation.

2. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'd recommend reading the MedStar novels by Reeves and Perry since I'm all fanboy about Reeves. Does have some writing issues, but his characterization outweighs his overusage of a thesaurus.

I know everyone loves Dark Rendezvous except Ex and I, but I'll be the token "didn't do anything for me." Really doesn't add that much to the lead-in for ROTS. Outbound Flight isn't essential unless you're dying to have Zahnverse background. Looking back at it I found it average. Not brilliant yet not total stink (Dark Nest please go away :p ). If you're an Obi fan I'd say check out Cestus Deception. Reviews were mixed though I enjoyed it.

3. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm going to be starting up with the comics. I have a box full of older SW TPBs and have the first Legacy TPB.

What are the essentials? I have Dark Empire/Dark Empire II.

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm just going to throw a bunch of what I call "absolute essentials". There are more and others may have different suggestions. It also helps to know what eras you like and how you're finding Legacy.

Legacy 2: Broken-2nd Trade
    Legacy 3: Claws of the Dragon

Tales of the Jedi Omnibus 1
    Tales of the Jedi Omnibus 2

Knights of the old Republic 1: Commencement
    Knights of the old Republic 2: Flashpoint
    Knights of the old Republic: 3 Days Fear, Nights of Anger

Clone Wars 1: Defense of Kamino - Clone Wars 9: Endgame

Dark Times 1: The Path to Nowhere

And in January a bunch of great pre TPM trades are being collected in The Rise of the Sith Omnibus

Edit: I'm throwing In Twilight, Darkness and Rite of Passage as essentials. They're just pre Clone Wars. I'd be remiss if I didn't name them. They'll be collected in Omnibus form soon enough I'd think as Twilight is out of print.

I also would recommend certain Empire and Rebellion TPB's as well as a couple of X-Wing Omnibus' but I've named enough "essentials" to keep you busy for months. Hope this helps.[face_peace]

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    i wouldn't say "soon enough". Dark Horse only does 2-3 omnibus release a year. Even if the next omnibus continues the pre-TPM collection pattern and starts with TPM/post-TPM titles, Twilight/Darkness/ROP wouldn't come along until the 2nd, 3rd or 4th of such an Omnibus series (as they probably wouldn't be in the same collection unless they're separating out the Quin and non-Quin stories).

6. T-boy-wan

T-boy-wan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2006
    I picked up X-Wing: Rogue Squadron: Masquerade last week and really got back into grapic novels and comics (I used to get Star Wars Comic after TPM came out). So I decided to purchase Dark Empire and Dark Empie II off Ebay because I thought they'd be quite essential reads but when I saw Empire's End I saw they were at extrordinary expensive. Is it really rare or something? I don't really fancy shelling out that much money for it considering it doesn't have a great reputation.

Is it essential? Does it contribute anything to the EU? Is it a good read?

7. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    No, Empire's End isn't essential. I think few would call it that. I, like yourself, bought DEII without knowing there was a trade with EE included. Eventually I did buy the trade with EE. Read it once. It's alright. You probably got DE and DEII for a fairly good price on Ebay. If it really bugs you not to have EE, you can get it later. It's not THAT important, really. I could list dozens of comics you should get first.[face_peace]

8. T-boy-wan

Jun 6, 2006
    Well I haven't got them yet! Bid ends in 1 1/2 hours but I am winning. I'm not too fussed if its not essential. It doesn't seem that anyone liked it and sounds like all that happens is Palpatine comes back again.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DE2 ends on something of a cliffhanger- the current situation is resolved, but Palpatine is still around, in charge and still has the Galaxy Gun and Eclipse II. However, as EE was only two issues, not that much happens other than resolving those plot threads. It was originally supposed to be a 6 issue series, but was cut down to 2 so it feels rushed- especially since Cam wasn't avauilable to do the art, you have someone trying to imitate his art style and it just doesn't have the same successful moody feel to it- just a watercolors imitation.

If you really want to read EE, you can probably find the two individual issues for a decent price- the solo TPB collection is a lot harder to find and thus usually more expensive. Your best bet would be to pick up the most recent printing of DE2 which includes EE in the same TPB.

10. T-boy-wan

Jun 6, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll skip EE because, although it ends the story, it doesn't sound good and I pretty much know what happens.

11. Raider88

Raider88 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2008
    I've read all of Tales of the Jedi and Star Wars Republic and I think its time to move onto the novels to keep my fandom for SW alive along with TCW. So here is my plan:

-Shadows of the Empire

-Truce at Bakura (or should I skip this and move on to TTT?)

-TTT

-The Courtship of Princess Leia

-JAT

Also, I'd be switching from OT to PT at times if things get too monotonous.

-Path of Destruction

-Rule of Two

-Cloak of Deception

-Labyrinth of Evil

-The Rise of Darth Vader

-Han Solo trilogy

So what is the chink in my plan?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally, I'd suggest skipping Bakura for now. It doesn't factor into a majority of EU titles (Corellian Trilogy and Force Heretic trilogy are the only ones that come to mind), and I found certain aspects to feel a little out of place for Star Wars (the entechment process, for example).

Courtship I find to be a mixed bag (Han/Leia characterization is awful and Hapans have always annoyed me, but the Luke, Dathomir & Zsinj stuff is great), but others love it so it's probably something you should read to determine for yourself.

Otherwise, a good list.

13. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    I had a feeling someone would tell me to skip TaB. Thank you for the advice, fine sir.

Also, what do you think of the placement of the Han Solo trilogy? Should it be read before the rest of the PT novels? And is Rise of Darth Vader as good as they say?

14. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I strongly suggest I, Jedi for your list. It's a great companion to The JAT and one of the strongest EU novels printed.

Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader is long on fun and fairly short on plot. It's okay though cause Luceno is a fun writer so it's hard not to find the book a bit of a guilty pleasure even for a SW novel.

15. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    Does I, Jedi go side-by-side with JAT, before or after?

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I, Jedi occurs during the JAT. I've usually found it best to read it right after the JAT.

17. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    That would be a good idea as JAT is the last on the OT list. Thanks for all the advice, guys.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Han Solo Trilogy has more of a setup-for-the-classic-era vibe to it, so I'd consider associating it more with that era than the PT era material. Not too much of HST is going to factor into the other PT novels, as it's mostly about Han, Chewie, Lando, Boba, Jabba, Xizor (making it a great setup/prelude for Shadows of the Empire, btw) and early Rebellion cells.

I really liked RODV- I wouldn't rank it among the top EU novels, but it is a good one and a nice look at the immediate aftermath of ROTS. It forms a nice psuedo-trilogy with Labyrinth of Evil and the ROTS novelization; in fact you might wnat to hold off on picking up LOE & RODV and wait for The Dark Lord trilogy coming out at the end of the month- it's an omnibus collecting LOE, ROTS & RODV in one book. I'd highly recommend that (as the ROTS novelization is one of the best SW novels ever written, so if you're going to read LOE & RODV, you might as well get that as an awesome "bonus").

19. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    I'm not really big on film novelizations but in this case, I think I'm going to do that.

Anyways, I started with Darth Bane: PoD last night and it has been a great read so far. I enjoyed TotJ a lot and its nice to revisit that era after drifting away from it for a while. I'll read Rule of Two next and then start with some OT books.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ROTS is definitely worth the time to read- IMO, it is better than the movie (or, at the very least, makes the movie better) and is deserving of all the praise it gets around here.

21. Kaizoku

Kaizoku Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2008
    Uh hi, new to the forum and new to the star wars books. I'm currently reading Darth Bane: Path of Destruction because I was a HUGE fan of the kotor games, and I'm obsessed with the history of the sith and jedi order. I'm about to order some new books and I was wondering what I should get that starts right in on the main characters out of IV, V, and VI, afterwards. I've read reviews of the newer books about Mara Jade or w/e who married Luke, and how Solo and Leia have a kid, and I would like to learn how these events took place before reading the Legacy of the Force books. I would jump right into the list you guys have on this forum, but there are books listed in my book, that you guys don't have listed here. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

22. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    Welcome to the forum. I've only read Darth Bane: Path of Destruction but from everything else I've read on the forum, Shadows of the Empire and The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and Last Command) would be the best way to start.

23. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Which books aren't listed here?

I agree with Raider88. The Thrawn trilogy used to be everyone's jumping off point for the EU so of course I suggest it but it doesn't take place right after ROTJ despite being the series being the real birth of the EU.

There are several books that take place before TTT. Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia and Tatooine Ghost, come to mind as post ROTJ novels. None of these books meet up to TTT. They were also written after TTT so you wouldn't be missing anything by starting with TTT first. I, Jedi or The Jedi Academy trilogy is where I'd go after TTT. I, Jedi being the far better novel but more or less a companion to the JAT. It's another book that isn't to be missed. Shadows of the Empire takes place between ESB and ROTJ and it's up there with I, Jedi as one of the greatest EU novels ever written.

From there you have a lot of choices. You could move onto the New Jedi Order series which is 19 books long. I'd say 10 of them are defiantly worth reading. Come back when you're ready to ask which ones.;) And from there we have the Dark Nest Trilogy(good series) which leads us to the books you were reading about. It's the Legacy of the Force series and it's really nothing to rush into. Trust me. Compared to the myriad of EU novels you have to wade through, LOTF is pretty weak IMO.

Also, the Darth Bane: Path of Destruction's sequel, Rule of two is out and will be in paperback in a couple of months.

And if you love Kotor the game, try the comic. Try the link. I couldn't be more enthusiastic about this suggestion. There are 3 Trades out already. I wasn't a comic person but Kotor and Legacy Comics changed that.

Hope gives you a good start.[face_peace]

24. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    Manisphere, can you tell me what books I have to read before I can get into the NJO books?

Thanks in advance.

25. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I'd say follow this list:
    -The "Thrawn Trilogy": Heir to the Empire
    -The "Thrawn Trilogy": Dark Force Rising
    -The "Thrawn Trilogy": The Last Command
    -Dark Empire I (comic series)
    -Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search
    -Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice
    -Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force
    -I, Jedi
    -Darksaber
    -Hand of Thrawn: Specter of the Past
    -Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future

I have to admit that I skimmed through parts of the Hand of Thrawn Duology as it was just too long and not overly exciting IMO. But you're pretty good to go once you've hit these novels. You can skip Darksaber if you like. I enjoyed it but it isn't a must. It does further the characters in the JAT who appear throughout the NJO. This should about cover it excluding all of the X-wing books which are amazing and in this timeline but don't depict the OT characters at all.[face_peace]