main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Raider88

Raider88 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2008
    Perfect. Those were all the books I had in mind.

Once again, thank you.

2. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I've had friends go into the NJO without reading any prior books and they emerged with a firm grasp of the storyline. Reading the post-OT (and pre-NJO) books before starting the NJO is like icing on a cake. Characters, planets and situations will be referenced or appear, and if you've read the earlier books then you'll get a kick out of the appearance. I wouldn't say that any of the books are a dire read. Even the Young Jedi Knight books, which introduce a ton of Jedi characters for the NJO series, doesn't need to be read first.

Adding to Manisphere's post, though, I'd say that Darksaber isn't that important of a novel for the NJO series. The Corellian trilogy, although nothing special in terms of its writing, does introduce the Centerpoint Station, and that alone deserves an inclusion on a list of things to read before the NJO.

I'd also throw in the X-Wing books and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, if only because they are some of the best Bantam books period.

3. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    That's 15 more books to read [face_plain]

4. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm sorry! You don't have to take my advice. :p

You should have been a little more excited about reading more Star Wars books, though. [face_laugh]

5. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Raider88: are you just looking for a solid background because what you really want is to start reading the NJO?

Because, seriously, don't worry about reading TONS of books beforehand. The NJO does draw a lot on previous planets and characters, but it's generally written in a way that is friendly towards new readers. If you wanted to have read all the original references to all the re-appearing characters and planets in the NJO you'd have to literally read all of the Bantam books -- and you don't have to in order to enjoy the NJO. I hadn't read The Black Fleet Crisis, The Corellian Trilogy or The Truce at Bakura -- all those things were referenced in the NJO and I was okay without them; would it have been a treat to have read them in advance? Sure, but it's not worth it if you just want to get cracking open those NJO books.

But if you are looking for a general solid background my advise is:
    - The Thrawn Trilogy
    - The Jedi Academy Trilogy (or I, Jedi)
    - The Thrawn Duology

You may want to check out the X-Wing series as well. The first arc is four books, but even the first book is pretty self-contained: it will introduce you to some more reappearing characters and it's a good read. The Dark Empire comic is also something to consider as well, but you can get by reading a summary of its events on wookiepedia - it's not a particulary great comic and you don't need to know all the specifics of it.

6. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    I don't want to get into the NJO just yet. I just want to know what I have to read besides everything else I have planned to read before I can get into it and evetually Legacy of the Force.

The EU is huge and Rome wasn't built in one day.

BookExogorth likes this.
  7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Understood. :) IMO the Thrawn Trilogy and Duology and the Jedi Academy Trilogy will give you a solid base: they covered major events in the Republic and in the lives of the Big Three, and I think that is why they are generally recommended for new readers delving into anything post-RotJ.

That being said, I don't think you HAVE to read anything to prepare for the NJO, or that there is a huge advantage to reading a big event trilogy like Thrawn or JA over a set of X-Wing books or a handful of more obscure one-shots like Courtship of Princess Leia. Pretty much every story in the Bantam era gets a shoutout in the form of returning characters or planets -- sometimes just for one NJO book in a prominent way. Anything you choose to read will give you some valuable background, so don't feel rigidly locked into a long list of required reading.

8. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    I read a couple of paragraphs from the beginning of Vector Prime and it seems simple so far. [face_peace]

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I actually asked this one a while ago and never got an answer. I'm thinking of picking up a used copy I saw at a LCS. Any opinions would be appreciated.

10. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    Hi, I own and have read pretty much all of the adult star wars novels (I own about 90 and have about 15 or so to still force myself to buy) but I've yet to read a graphic novel. I'm thinking about giving them a try and I'm wondering which graphic novel series would be a good place to start. The Legacy series caught my eye but I figured I should ask the experts on where to start.:)

11. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I hate to quote myself cause it's lazy but your question is one that would get a flurry of advice and a lot of it would be similar. I strongly suggest both Legacy, and Knights of the Old Republic. Clone Wars TPBs or graphic novels are also excellent but check out the links for yourself.

12. AdmirableAckbar

AdmirableAckbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2008
    The swoop gang and bounty hunter parts of it are excellent, imo. The rest isn't bad, but not great either. I'd recommend getting it if you're interested in the bounty hunter aspect of things.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's good for giving the Boba-side of things for the SOTE story, since he's fully absent from the novel.

14. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    A few questions if I may ask:

1. If it's been done here, can anyone link me to a Clone Wars timeline updated since the Chronological Guide? I can't seem to find anything searching here.

2. According to the Clone Wars novel, Clone Wars takes place a few months after the Battle of Geonosis. That doesn't seem right considering all the things we see in the film, (Anakin being a Knight for one)is there indeed a inconsistency or am I just off on my CW history?

3. I've got quite a backlog of EU novels to read (apart from LOTF, I did keep up with those) because the entire last year was a busy one for me. I have Death Star, Coruscant Nights I, RC: True Colors, Allegiance, and Outbound Flight. I know the premise behind each one, but I feel like getting an opinion on what to read first for the heck of it. Which one should I start?

Thanks in advance.

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Given the lack of relation between them it becomes slightly difficult to put any one of them first, but in terms of the reading experience, I'd say read Coruscant Nights or True Colors first (presuming you've read the previous RC books) unless you have a specific preference for Thrawn or stormtroopers.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's been some controversy regarding Clone Wars continuity in relation to the new show and it's tie-ins. Though not mentioned in the movie (though it's possibole an episode of the series will do so), there's seem to be a revision in terms of the placing of Anakin's knighting taking place early in the war instead of late. But this isn't necessarily set in stone yet- they are being vague on CW timelines until the series concludes before determining the exact timeline situation.

Everything is still continuity, but if the series doesn't end up fitting within the existing timeline gaps, we may see some timeline compression with all stories of Anakin as a padawan condensed down to the first year of the war to take place before the series, and all stories with Anakin as a Knight or not referencing Anakin pretty much staying where they are.

17. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I would definately start with RC: True Colors. I'm halfway through Triple Zero and the Republic Commando novels are some of the best Star Wars novels I have ever read. Outbound Flight was fun to read, and Death Star and Allegiance are good but you can put those off.

I also have a question, I haven't read Coruscant nights, should I even bother with it? What novels is it like?

18. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    As in the Republic Commando books, Coruscant Nights is a series sans the Big 3 or their kids so it has that going for it.

I read and enjoyed the first one, Jedi Twilight. Honestly it was fun and pretty breezy. Not as hard nosed as Traviss' stuff. Reaves is good with the ticking clock scenario. His best SW example would be Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, which is referenced in CN:JT repeatedly. Shadow Hunter managed to be a compulsive page turner despite our pre-knowledge of the obvious ending. Jedi Twilight might not be as tight but it is still one of the best EU novels in a the past couple of years.

19. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Agreed, Shadow Hunter was awesome. Jedi Twilight was cool too as it ties in somewhat with the Darth Maul book. I'm actually about halfway through Streets of Shadow, and it's not too bad either. I am kind of getting bored with the books dealing with Luke and all them so these books are a nice change. I think pretty much every SW fan is kind of in awe of Coruscant, and these books never leave the place. Staying on one planet for a while is also a nice change of pace.

20. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    A quick question or two.

I just finished reading Bloodlines by Traviss and overall I thought the Fett subplot of the book was the most compelling. I was unaware that he had a family at all so I was wondering what, if any, books told that backstory of his wife, daughter, and his time as a Journeyman Protector? In what book, if any, did Ailyn try to kill Fett before?

Also, Quinlan Vos. I know Ostrander and Duursema had built quite the solid SW foundation at DH and apparently it all started here with this Jedi. Good story? Good character? Which TPBs would be the most relevant of him? I know there's Twilight and Darkness, but after that, which ones?

21. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    If I may dust off an old chestnut, this is Havoc's description of the Quin series from an old thread and it's far better than one I could put together and yes, Quin is the best....

22. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Thanks mate. It helps to know what to look for on Amazon and eBay. :D

Just for the record, I've read most of the EU novels starting with the Heir to the Empire trilogy. Up till NJO, that is. For some reason, I never quite made it around to reading those but I plan on recitfying that soon. However, I have started reading LOF as I mentioned before. Studying up some of the rest of the series (without spoiling it for me, that is), I may have answered my own first question. Have to wait and see.

But I do take it Traviss is currently the writer of all main things Mandolorian? My wife has read all of the current RC novels and loved them. I tried reading HC but the first 20 or so pages kinda dragged for me but after finishing Bloodlines, my interest in Mandolorians has increased so I'll definitely get back to reading those after I finish LOF.

Also, I thought I heard news somewhere, maybe on the Wookiepedia, that a new Fett novel Post-LOF was coming out at some later point. True?

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    From what we've heard so far, yes.

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Depends on the era. John Jackson Miller is the main writer of Mandalorians in the Knights of the Old Republic era, and in my opinion the much better one (after the wonderful Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide, I'd even call him the best writer of Mandalorians in the EU). I'd highly recommend the KOTOR comics anyway, Mandalorians or no, but if you like them the comics are great with them.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The majority of that info is from The History of the Mandalorians article by Abel Pena in SW Insider #80, which united Mandalorian and Boba Fett history tibits that have come out over the decades into a whole cohesive history, while introducing a lot of new elements such as his daughter's name.

Fett's family was first established at the end of a short story, "Outbid, But Never Outgunned", in Star Wars Tales #7. The Journeyman Protector info originated in the first Essential Guide to Characters and was later elaborated upon in flashbacks in Boba Fett's tale in either Tales From Jabba's Palace or Tales of the Bounty Hunters. These events were connected by "History..." and elaborated further upon in LOTF.