main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Gotcha. Thanks for the advice!

Stay away from Imperial Commando, the last book in the series. It's a nightmare.

How so? D: Like "the author's writing skills suddenly went down the toilet" kind of a nightmare, or "everyone you liked up until this point suddenly dies" kind of a nightmare? Or something else?

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    IC: 501st was the book that caused me to completely reevaluate my Traviss fandom.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe its a good thing I stopped after Order 66...

4. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    IC: 501st was the book that caused me to completely reevaluate my Traviss fandom.

Somehow you manage to convey nothing and yet multiply my morbid curiosity 100x. Though I'll suppose I'd better listen... last time I ignored such warnings it was to read the last book of the Dragon Jousters series... and I still find myself wishing I hadn't wasted the money on it. <.<;

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    A question does anyone else know more about the Sword of the Jedi series?

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Right now, no. There aren't any details out yet and probably won't be for quite a bit.

7. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    It doesn't finish the story but leaves off before a resolution sort of nightmare because the author was angry that clone wars changed canon.

8. Thrawn07

Thrawn07 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2012
    What's next for the books? I've been waiting for so long. Are we looking at another young Jedi nights series? Or a book based on just Ben Skywalker? Really hoping they move back to trilogies instead of these nine book series that only have like 350 pages tops.

Anyone got any insights?

9. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I would give you the exact opposite advice when it comes to Imperial Commando. If you find you enjoy the rest of the Republic Commando series, there's a good chance you'll enjoy ImpCom as well. Much of the problem with the novel is that, as it was originally planned to be the start of a second four-part sequel series, it's a bit slow and primarily a ground-laying book. The original author's departure from the series left it hanging for quite a while, leaving the slow build-up the novel sets out to establish as just...slow. However, it continues the story of the series' characters, adding some new ones, while fleshing out new sides of old ones. And with recent rumors on the rise, it seems very likely that the series will be picked up, continued, and given an official close-out by a new and well-regarded author.

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Here is a link to Crucible, the Big 3 one-shot adventure by Troy Denning to come out this summer and The Sword of the Jedi trilogy by Christie Golden, a Jaina oriented series which will feature the younger generation of Jedi Knights. Link

11. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    I just had enormous fun re-reading Donald Glut's "The Empire Strikes Back" novelization. In many ways, it's better than the movie, since the visuals in my head are a million times more interesting than the ones IK put on the screen. It's also interesting for its tid-bits about Mandalorians and the Clone Wars, some of which represent GL's original concept and have entered into TCW.

As for where to start, my list would mostly be comics not novels. But I think the Thrawn Trilogy is best for OT fans and the very expansive adult novelizations for PT fans, if I had to recommend a novel as an EU starting point.

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I was wondering, is there any novels or short stories that feature the Jedi Sentinel, the guys and gals that protect the Jedi Temple and carry yellow light sabers. Where were they when Anakin attacked?

Random Comments likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They did a lot of jobs- mostly cop-type ones rather than "protect the Jedi Temple"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Sentinel

I think Nejaa Halcyon's characterized as a Jedi Watchman- a subcategory of Sentinel. He features in Jedi Trial- which is not well regarded- though I personally thought it was OK.

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Several of the Jedi seen in the Quinlan Vos arcs of Republic- particularly Tholme and T'ra Saa- were referred to as Jedi Watchmen during the comics. The Darkness arc provides some insight as to what the regular duties of a sectorial Jedi Watchman entail.

15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How good is Sacrifice by Karen Traviss? I'm getting it this weekend!

16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I hated it. But then, (Major Spoiler Alert!)
    I love Mara, and her death was completely pointless.

Gorefiend, instantdeath and Zeta1127 like this.
  17. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    What PT era books would you all recommend?

I've read Dark Rendezvous and Jedi Trial, which were both ok, and Cestus Deception (which was so boring I gave up after 100 pages or so) and I'm just coming to the end of Cloak of Deception which I've really enjoyed.

What should I read next?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Plagueis is good- but it does reference events from a lot of other sources. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter might work. Both are set before TPM- though Plagueis continues into TPM and ends around the time TPM does.

19. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks, I was thinking of checking out Darth Plagueis. I have read the Darth Maul one (forgot about that) and enjoyed it.

20. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Labyrinth of Evil is definitely worth picking up. I'd get it in the Dark Lord Trilogy. It's one book that contains LoE, The Revenge of the Sith novelization, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. LoE and Dark Lord are both written by James Luceno, author of Cloak of Deception and Plagueis. The ROTS novelization by Matt Stover is literally the most lauded SW book you can find. It's so much better than the movie and I loved the movie.

21. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks, Manisphere. I've read Dark Lord and thought it was great. I haven't read Labyrinth or the ROTS novelization though so I'll check those out too. Are there any more books featuring Anakin and Obi Wan? Also, I'm interested in the period between ROTS and ANH. Any good books set during that period?

22. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    We're all interested in the Dark Times era which is the ROTS to ANH time period. Unfortunately there is nothing out there in adult fiction. Lucas wants people to stay away from the era for some dumb reason or other. There is an adult hardcover called Kenobi which comes out next year that is about Obi-Wan on Tatooine.

Unfortunately there aren't many good books about Obi-Wan and Anakin. Rouge Planet isn't bad. Jedi Trial was pretty bad and there are the Karen Miller TCW books, Wild Space, Gambit: Stealth and Gambit: Seige, that are the worst SW books out there. No Prisoners is short but fairly fun. Outbound Flight is a personal favorite. It's not about Obi-Wan and Anakin but they have a nice part in the novel. And stay away from The Approaching Storm.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    For The Dark Times: There's the Lando Calrissian Trilogy, the Han Solo Adventures trilogy, the Han Solo Trilogy, Death Troopers, and also Death Star starts before A New Hope as well.

The Force Unleashed and The Force Unleashed II are also in that time- but they don't tend to be well regarded.

24. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Oh yeah. Those.:p I'd heartily recommend any and all books with Han Solo in the title. Skip the rest.

25. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Death Star was good.
    And Kenobit looks like it'll be really good.
    DON'T read Outbound Flight until you read Survivor's Quest. It'd be like watching the prequels first, and not getting the I am your father moment.
    I don't know if RoTS is the most lauded EU book, but it is very well done.
    I think you mean Rogue Planet, Manisphere.
    Plagueis is good, but it references a lot of other books that are important for context. And some people don't like the revelation of
    Plagueis being alive
    in TPM.