main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Rogue planet. :p I'd say Survivor's Quest is only a prerequisite if you're into the post ROTJ era. It doesn't at all interfere with the enjoyment of Outbound. And for me Death Star was a nightmare until the last third. All of those characters and no definite plot. Drove me nuts.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    If you're into comics, you should check out Dark Times. I've only read the first few arcs myself, but it takes place shortly after ROTS.

3. TheWiseJedi

TheWiseJedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2012
    finished reading "Choices of One" And was wondering what book I should read next? ( Finished all of the FOTJ, LOTF, NJO, DN, thrawn trilogy)

was hoping to find a book that focuses on the character Nuso esva.... if there are any more books that talk about him.

thanks

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Are you wanting more stuff in the original trilogy era, or are you open to other eras? If the latter, than there's quite a bit to recommend. If you're looking for more OT stuff, Scoundrels would be a good choice, which comes out soonish. I will highly recommend Matthew Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor: in my opinion, pretty much the quinessential Star Wars novel. I would also recommend Michael Stackpole's and Aaron Allston's X-Wing series, if you don't mind focusing on some of the smaller characters.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'll also point out that Nuso Esva figures in the short story included in the anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire. That's your only other Nuso Esva fix.

6. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Kenobit?

I read Outbound Flight after reading Zahn's Hand of Thrawn trilogy and didn't enjoy it. Maybe you've explained why! I was going to try and read his books in order but when I got to Specter of the Past is was so damn boring I gave up after about 200 pages of nothingness. So I eneded up going for the one that intrigued me, Outbound Flight, and was again disappointed.

7. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah, I've been a comics fan for around 25 years - my collection takes up enough of the spare room to annoy my wife LOL

I haven't delved all that deeply into SW comics though. I've recently been collecting Dark Horse's Clone Wars trade paperbacks and they're pretty good. And the ominbus editions reprinting the Marvel stuff are fantasticly old school.

I'll check out Dark Times.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

8. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    It's a typo. Of course.
    Survivor's quest includes a lot of mysteries and works better if you read in publication order. It leaves threads open, but resolves enough for the story, and there are several surprises, like I am your father, that are spoiled by knowing all the answers in advance. Outbound Flight then gives the answers to exactly how everything ended up the way it did.

9. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    LOL I figured it was but I was hoping you would explain what you meant. Is there a new book coming about Obi Wan then?

Thanks for the info. Do you think its necessary to read Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future before reading Survivor's Quest?

10. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Yup. Announced Friday. By John Jackson Miller.

Survivor's Quest is a standalone novel (for that time period, outbound flight should still be read if you like it). As long as you know (and you should know this if you've read ANYTHING after Specter/Vision, like NJO, for example)
    the war with the empire is over and Luke married Mara
    you'll be fine. Oh, and droidekas are far more dangerous than TCW makes them.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to get into the Comics more and I have Tales of the Jedi: The Collection, KOTOR Commencement, Episode 1, Episode 2, General Grievous, Dark Times: The Path to Nowhere, Empire: Betrayal, Boba Fett: Man With a Mission, Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy, Crimson Empire 3, Invasion Refugees and Rescues, Legacy Extremes and War and A New Hope Infinities. I have some single issues from the Thrawn trilogy, Vader's Quest, and early Legacy and some others I think.

I know I have a decent collection but what should I look into next?

12. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Read the real Thrawn trilogy.

I don't know for the comics. Read the rest of the series, if you liked them, as I understand that some of then go on past what you listed.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I have most of the books including the Thrawn Trilogy plus that 20th Anniversary HTTE. I'm only lacking in the YA books really for books. And so I want to make a concentrated effort to get the comics. I've gotten my list so far over the years but no real plan or effort.

14. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Just checking. A comic adaptation of a novel is not as good as the novel itself.
    Comics really aren't my area of expertise.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    In some ways its good and some ways its not. A book can give you more information than a comic and give you more story but with a comic you can actually see things without having to imagine things. I only have part 6 of Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.

16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Here's the promo art for the new book...
    [​IMG]
    But with the word Kenobi in red on the left.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just as amazing as the promo for Sword of the Jedi

18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    But in hi-res.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Like Boba Fett? I'd check out Blood Ties and Boba Fett is Dead... I was very pleasantly surprised with both of them. And while I can't vouch for it myself, I've heard nothing but good things about the latest Darth Vader comic.

The Republic series is quite good, as well. Agent of the Empire, Knight Errant, Jedi vs Sith (you need to read this one, it's awesome, despite a cliche name) are all really entertaining as well.

There are plenty of others, but those are some that come to mind quickly.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And, Force Smuggler, if you liked Commencement (I mean, who doesn't?) then you should get the rest of KOTOR. It drops off a bit after the VIndication arc, but it's still pretty enjoyable then. The days/nights arc is top notch, though. And if you've read Tales of the Jedi you'll be pleased to see some shout outs to that series. But it's still its own thing.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Todd the Jedi. Commencement is is my 2nd favorite Comic arc ever only behind Broken from Legacy. I admit my comic reading list is shorter than my book one but still. I've skimmed some of the later KOTOR comics and generally like them. I've skimmed the TOTJ omnibus' and the one TOTJ comic I have and hope to get into that series. Maybe get the omnibus' for Christmas.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Vindication is easily one of the best Star Wars comic arcs ever.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I read Vindication this past weekend for the 5th (possibly more) time. It was great.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I have to admit, though, in a petty sort of way I was disappointed that Lucien didn't turn out to be Sion, even if he did have a good personal ending.