main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. The_Phenomenon7

The_Phenomenon7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2008
    I've been a bit lazy, and the only Novels I can say I've read are
    First Two Last Of Jedi
    Half of the First Jedi Apprentice
    Darth Bane : POD
    The Force Unleashed
    and...yeah that's it.

I want to get into the EU with more then just stalking Wookieepedia.
    I Know NJO and LotF are needed.
    But before I get to those what essential parts of the story are there?
    Thrawn Trilogy and...I,Jedi?
    I have access to most, if not all, of the books.
    And as for CW, are any of them worth reading?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Novel-wise, I'd say the X-Wing series (at least the first 4 books), the Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire (comic series), Jedi Academy trilogy/I, Jedi (maybe just I, Jedi) and the Hand of Thrawn duology would be the backbone of the post-ROTJ era leading up to the NJO.

Of secondary concern (not absolutely needed, but would flesh out certain elements that play a part, at some point, in NJO & LOTF) would be the remaining X-Wing novels and the Corellian Trilogy.

Beyond the NJO & LOTF, the Legacy comic series has been spectacular so far as well, and doesn't require reading much of anything prior to it (though it will give away a couple events that happen in NJO & LOTF).

As far as Clone Wars goes- the 9 Clone Wars comic collections are absolutely excellent (particularly 3, 4, 6 & 8), and as far as novels go, Shatterpoint is great, and Labyrinth of Evil is pretty good too. The Republic Commando series has been good-to-decent as well, with the first book (Hard Contact) definitely being pretty solid.

Beyond the post-ROTJ and CW eras, I'd also give high recommendations to Cloak of Deception, the Han Solo Trilogy, the Han Solo Adventures and Shadows of the Empire.

3. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Out of curiosity, are there any works that highlight the Battle of Mygeeto? Besides Battlefront 2's "story" you play through.

4. chuckie

chuckie Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2008
    Do the events in Dark Empire happen prior to or after the Thrawn Trilogy? I have begun to read Heir to the Empire and I want to make sure that I am reading the material in chronological order. From what I have read, it almost seems that Dark Empire happens prior to the Thrawn Trilogy. Can anyone provide input? Thanks.

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The Thrawn Trilogy takes place 9 years ABY
    Dark Empire I and II take place 10 years ABY
    Empire's End Takes place 11 years ABY

I think Quest might have mentioned that Zahn refused to acknowledge or work around the DE plot so it was put after TTT despite the fact that it might fit much better before.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DE was originally planned to be shortly after ROTJ, but due to the Zahn thing, they changed the story so that it was set afterwards- the opening scroll in particular specifically sets DE after Thrawn.

7. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Not really new to the EU , but I have a question. I've been reading SW novels on and off since I was in junior high. Actually, it used to be kind of a casual thing, but now I'm reading them more and more. So far, I have read everything pretty much up to Darksabre. That's including the prequel books, and excluding some of the newer Clone Wars books coming out like every other week. I've heard through the grape vine that PLanet of Twilight is horrible, so I'm gonna skip it. That being said, someone in my family got me the Dark Nest Trilogy for Christmas last year, and I have yet to pick it up because like I said (chronologically) I have only read up to Darksabre. I know there's a lot of stuff in between these boooks that happens, but I don't think I have it in me to read another 30 or so books just to get to the books I got for Christmas. So hypothetically, lets say I decide to start reading the DN books, how lost would I be?

8. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Don't have the heart?! Blaspheme! ;)

Seriously, it depends on how spoiled you are or want to be. If you know the outcome of the NJO, have read LOTF or Legacy Comics and have read Star by Star especially, I'd say go ahead and move on to DNT no problem. Frankly, the EU is set up that you can theoretically start anywhere.

I would passionately suggest you read a couple of books first. Star by Star, Traitor, and maybe The Unifying Force (but if you read TUF you might as well read some other NJO stuff as it's really an amazing series for the most part and beats the stuffing out of the Bantam stuff save, Zahn, Stackpole and Allston's Bantam work.)

In conclusion, if you decide to go right into DNT it's fine. However, do read Star by Star first. Seriously. The seeds of the DNT arc hinges on events of that 600 page trope. The EU direction change as a whole is defined in that novel to the dismay of a great many. Sadly, missing SBS can leave you far more in the dark EU wise than missing The Thrawn Trilogy. Go figure.

9. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Is there like a box set or a collection that is sold which contains all the NJO books?

10. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    And actually, unless you are French, it's blasphemy! Unless you were actually calling me one whom has been caught in the act of blasphemy, then I guess "blaspheme" might be a noun or something.

11. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Actually, I just quickly used spellcheck.[face_whistling] :p

And no, sadly none of the NJO books are collected yet. I bought my whole set used but I've noticed that several of the books have been price cut online. I think I bought the Agents of Chaos duology for half price new.

12. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Okay so let's say I've decided to skip MOST of the books between Darksabre and the NJO books. I'll probably read the Zahn stuff, is there anything major that I will miss out on? There's a couple of trilogies in there that I would just rather skip. Basically, I'd like to get to the NJO books as quickly as possible from Darksabre without missing too much stuff. (I've decided to take your advice and read the NJO).

13. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    You may wanna read the Hand of Thrawn duology, but its not necessary and aside from that nothing else between Darksaber and NJO is that important. The BFC and Corellian Trilogy aren't really worth it if you want to get to NJO as quickly as possible, and YJK is probably not your thing. I'd just read some of the stuff on Wookiee about the stuff between Darksaber and NJO just to pick up the major plot points. After that you'll be just fine.

14. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks, Zahan's books are usually pretty good, so I'll give them a try then start with the NJO stuff. Is Survivor's Quest any good? I've read Outbound Flight and all the other Zahn stuff up until the HOT. I really want to read the NJO, but at the same time, I don't think I wanna see Chewie die just yet, I dunno......I tried to read some of the DNT the past few days, but without anything past Darksabre I was kind of lost. Han and Leiah were old, Chewie's dead, Coruscant has gone the way of the Vong and halfway back again, all the kids are grown (or dead for that matter). There was just too much stuff that I could'nt miss out on, so I've decided to bite the bullet and read the umpteen NJO books and the later Zahn stuff to catch me up. I'll post again sometime in 2015 when I'm caught up and I'll be asking about the LOTF stuff. By then something new'll be out to once again overwhelm my reading itenerary.

15. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I've never actually read Survivor's Quest, but I've heard good things about it. And since you've already read Outbound Flight, you might as well go ahead and read it.

And don't worry, it won't take you 7 years to read NJO. :p Once you get used to it you'll be finished with the series in no time, just try to read at least one or two chapters every night and more on the weekends.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Survivor's Quest is easily the weakest of the Zahn books I've read. I haven't yet read Allegiance or Outbound Flight.

17. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Allegiance was pretty cool, you get to see Mara doing some Emperor's Hand kind of stuff. Outbound Flight was cool too, I just got kind of tired of C'Baoth. Someone needed to take him out.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Allegiance is easily Zahn's weakest book; Survivor's Quest might be the next-weakest, but that's like saying someone's the second-worst pilot in the Rogues. It doesn't mean much. I think it's underrated; it's a very solid adventure, lacking the galactic scope of most of his other works but making up for it with a twisty plot and good characterization. It's worth reading, especially if you've read Outbound Flight.

19. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Interesting. Actually I've always avoided Survivor's Quest because I read Outbound first. So having read Outbound enhances SQ? Somehow I thought SQ would be irrelevant if you'd read Outbound Flight first.[face_thinking]

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I wouldn't say it enhances SQ -- you know most of the answers to the mysteries -- but it does pay off some threads from Outbound Flight and lets you see what happens to the survivors as well as seeing Luke and Mara learn about it. Plus it's the one and only appearance of Chak Fel.

21. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I thought Allegiance was cool! I would'nt condsider it a weak book, just a little different from most of Zahn's stuff. I liked the squad of troopers who had a conscience type thing. It gave a depth to stormtroopers that has'nt been seen before.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The order you read OBF & SQ simply changes the mood of what you get out of the book.

Read SQ first, and there's a mystery elemnt of not knowing exactly how everything happened onboard, then in OBF, you get all the answers to a certain tragic degree, ala watching the OT followed by the PT.

Read OBF first, and SQ shows the aftermath and social developments that occured following the crash, and permitting you to be somewhat "in" on who the villain is.

23. AntJac

AntJac Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi guys. Just about to read both the Bane books and i was wondering after those 2 novels which ones would you recommend on the Dark Side era of things? Do not really want comics as i am not a fan.

Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

24. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    Off the top of my head, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. There really are no books from the same dark side era and perspective as the two Bane books but Shadow Hunter is about a relentless Sith assassin and it's a page turner. Much better than TFU.

You might want to look at Matt Stover's books. Shatterpoint, Traitor (part of the NJO), and The ROTS novelization. They all have artfully darker auras than most EU novels.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For the darkside I'd have to echo some of the above comments. Shadow Hunter for Maul. Revenge of the Sith for Anakin/Vader (don't dismiss it just because it's a novelization, it's way better than the movie). Cloak of Deception has a good amount of Senator Palpatine too (though little of him as Sidious). Shatterpoint deals a lot in darkness, though it's more about Mace resisting such overwhelming circumstances.