main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I agree, I enjoyed the original force unleashed but I don't recognize the second one either, it's so bad I never could actually get through it to the end. (I found the book in the library and plan to read it just for lulz)
    I thought that Vader was OOC with his Bowser Koopa-like stalking of Juno Eclipse. That, and getting thrown in jail. Also, where is the emperor during all this- on some kind of vacation?

2. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When was that established? We only saw Ben give Luke the name of the system, not coordinates.

4. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    Arawn_Fenn The Essential Atlas claims that Dagobah, along with 37 other systems had been deleted from the archives. It doesn't go into further detail as to how Yoda discovered it, maybe he figured some way to look for places where there should be a planet, but one wasn't in the archives.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But how did Luke know where to go? Ben didn't give him directions.

6. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    Off screen? I don't think the viewer needs to be bothered with the mundane nature of hyperspace coordinates.

7. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Well, it rather quickly become wide-known, due to someone suggesting Dagobah for the Imperial base in the All-High Masterpiece, The Glove of Darth Vader.

8. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    Problem: I have 113 books on my bookshelf.
    I've read three: Allegiance, Choices of One and Paradise Snare.
    However I don't want to to move on to the Hutt Gambit, to be honest. It took me four months to get through Paradise Snare (slowly, I just read most of it last night and today).
    I THINK I want to read the Republic Commando or the X-Wing series next. Which is better? I'm also considering reading the YJK series as a start to NJO. Basically, I'm jumping around and I don't know where to go.
    I know I should read the Thrawn Trilogy, but I've attempted that twice and I have yet to get into it.

Advice?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, if you can't get into the Thrawn trilogy, I'd suggest going with X-Wing. It takes place several years prior and is in general a great start to the New Republic era. Republic Commando is polarizing, to say the least, but I enjoyed them for the most part. Definitely worth reading at least the first one, Hard Contact.

And you don't really need to read YJK to read the NJO. Half the characters are forgotten until about halfway NJO, and none of the plots really affect anything else.

Still, if you already have 113 books, then you should have no trouble finding something good eventually. :p But if I were you, I'd start slow, ease into everything. [face_peace]

10. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    Winot I feel your pain, though I've managed to work through all adult novels from Mindor to the Jedi Academy series in less than two months. I think I might need to break for a little bit. :) I would suggest Shadows of Mindor, Truce at Bakura, or X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, if you have them. Each of those books are good introductions to the post-RotJ world. The X-Wing novels are fantastic books. The Thrawn Trilogy is definitely worth it though, I think I managed to read all three in less than three days.

cdgodin The Essential Reader's Companion labels that series as S-Canon basically. The overall events are claimed as happening, though not quite as described in the books. I personally attribute them to in-universe children's novels, so that accounts for their rather loose canon. Though I suspect you might have been joking. :)

11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I think I'm the only person on this board who loves TERC, but it's full of problems and that's not the least one.

12. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    _Catherine_ I love TERC, I only wish it was more in depth with comics, and that there were more anthology series for all the uncollected stories. I never realized how many there were until I got that book.

13. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    I love TERC. xD

Also, I think I'll try and start reading the first X-wing book when I get off the computer.

14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Dark Horse did a similar book for comics several years ago but sadly there aren't any plans for an update. TERC was a pretty solid book I thought but I was disappointed that some stories got shoved into randomly placed sidebars for no reason instead of getting full entries. I also didn't care for the editorial voice that would sometimes creep in and discredit stories like GoDV, "The Last One Standing," and some of the older Clone Wars books. Also a lot of stories got left out, but maybe they'll make it into Volume 2 in 2047.

15. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    According to the ROTS Incredible Cross-Sections, after he learned of the disappearance of Kamino from the Jedi archives, Yoda discreetly scanned for other missing planets. He detected 37 more missing systems, including Dagobah. He decided to keep Dagobah as his private secret.

16. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I was thinking of reading the new Legacy comic. I love the EU, but I've yet to read the first Legacy series and/or most of the Legacy books from after NJO. Will I be able to understand it? And I don't really care if it spoils the first Legacy series with some crossover characters and mentions, but I don't want to be lost with some of the references and think "What was that? What are they talking about? Who is that person/Organization that seems to rule everything?" etc. OR should I just wait and read Legacy first? And is there anything I need to read before Legacy Vol. 1 to understand THAT?

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I utterly despise TERC because all I see is a lousy attempt at trying to justify the osik that is TCW and the post-NJO.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    credar, most SW series are designed so that you can jump start them without having read prior series. As is the case with Legacy 2.0, since it's pretty much a completely different story, and has good exposition. There's so few issues right now that I'd say you can read this, then go back and start the original Legacy, since it's such a great comic, and keep reading this along the way. I guess Legacy 2.0 kinda spoils the end of Legacy 1, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying both series. Hope that helps. [face_peace]

credar likes this.
  19. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I started reading the Jedi Academy Series - Jedi Search. I completely loved it.
    Are the other two books in the series just as good? Any reviews I see are mixed anywhere from 1 to 5 star, so I'm wondering why this is.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They have certain things that rub some fans up the wrong way. The Sun Crusher, and Kyp Durron, both of which were introduced in Jedi Search, play a major part in the next two- and both of which are disliked by those fans.

If you enjoyed Jedi Search though- I expect you would enjoy the other two as well.

21. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Have you not read the other books in the HST? I thought all 3 of those were good.

22. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    It took me four months to trudge through Paradise Snare. Of course with school and everything it was a little harder. It just started off slow and so I'm gonna wait until I'm out of school for the summer before I try to read the Hutt Gambit. But that might have to wait depending on how much I like the X-Wing series. :)

23. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Okay. Thanks! I saw there was a Legacy hardcover coming out in June. Do you know what volumes that collects? I was thinking of maybe picking it up instead of trades if it's for the right price.

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Like Todd said above me, most series are designed so that you can jump right in. So you can start off the first Legacy comics series right away if you like. Personally, I think the best experience would be to read The New Jedi Order novels, then skip all the novels that happen after NJO (i.e. DN, LotF, FotJ), and go straight to Legacy. The Legacy comics are the best depiction of the post-Vong War galaxy, despite being about a century afterward. (The post-NJO novels did a rather poor job of this, among many other problems.)

And because the first Legacy series was authored by John Ostrander and Jan Duursema, I'd also recommend their Republic comics offerings if you can get your hand on those--just about all of them are now conveniently in Omnibus form now. There's some superb storytelling in those, especially during the Clone Wars era (before the 2008 animated series mucked it all up)!

In fairness, because TCW and post-NJO are all fully canon within the EU, Hidalgo had no choice but to include those and to put as positive a spin as he could on those. You'll notice that in general he stayed fairly neutral on the actual quality of writing of all the entries in that encyclopedia.

I believe as a reference TERC is very much worthwhile! And if it takes not bashing series that most fans may not like within its pages, I think it's an acceptable price to pay.

Yep, there are two hardcovers coming out this year, and presumably a third after that. I think those three hardcovers should collect all the original Legacy comics series, approximately 15-20 issues per volume.

credar likes this.
  25. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    Are the Legacy HCs the same as the other HCs they've been putting out recently? Hardcover omnibus, no thanks.