main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    The Legacy comics are awesome! I hadn't read any of the LOFT stuff, and only made through like 8 books of the NJO before I picked up the first Legacy TPB.After that I was hooked and put a sizeable dent in my bank account trying to catch up! But it was way worth it.

2. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    I'll sound another one for the Legacy comic. My entire knowledge of NJO is summed up as one reading of Vector Prime and cursory readings of wook articles about the Yuuzhan Vong war, and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire comic and eagerly anticipate the sequel.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There is nothing positive about the spin, because the new Clone Wars timeline clearly doesn't maintain the integrity of the multimedia project. The Clone Wars as the multimedia project had them are no more and the post-NJO is one of the most depressing time periods I have seen in any fictional universe, but no, all stories are final until someone comes along and specifically changes it. Do they even realize how disenchanted fans like me are becoming with the universe? I am actually more worried about LFL and Del Rey in regards to the ST and their continued involvement in the universe than I am about Disney.

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Hey, I feel the same way about TCW and post-LotF as you do--they were an utter waste of narrative potential and I wish they'd never happened. But what did you realistically expect TERC to do? Say how horrible both entities were? Slam the authors/creators? Say they aren't actually canonical after all and that the EU really ends at TUF until Legacy #1? That TCW was really an in-universe holodrama?

The fact is, as much as we might hate it, all of that stuff is canon, and in an officially licensed SW reference book, it wasn't up to Hidalgo to ignore or disparage any of it.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    TCW is lame but let's not pretend the old Clone Wars EU was some densely plotted masterstroke with flawless planning and continuity. Off the top of my head, K'Kruhk's death, LOE vs. CW, Anakin's scar, Grievous's cough, Vaapad's status as a lightsaber form, Dooku's appearance in The New Droid Army, and the timing of Dreadnaughts of Rendili were all continuity errors at one point.

instantdeath likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I expected common sense and decency to prevent such osik from happening in the first place. Canon died for me when Darth Maul "returned." I don't care about flaws with the multimedia project, because it is the Clone Wars to me. CW was based on an older draft of LoE, so LoE takes precedent, and besides, its harmless next to TCW. I don't even feel like I should continue to be a Star Wars fan at this point.

7. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
  8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe it's the Mandalorian word for dung. Or, rather, the meaner word for dung that I can't say without getting pansed.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Very much what instantdeath said, its a Mando'a word for dung (impolite), and my way of voicing my disdain for things as of late.

10. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    TCW weren't the first people with the idea for a Darth Maul return story, there was an earlier short story, I think about Obi-wan Vs Maul on Tattooine and Owen shot him. That's where they got the idea for a Maul return in the first place.

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, but the difference was that was a specifically non-canonical story (in the Tales comics), which meant they could do that without upsetting continuity--or at least continuity where Darth Maul was actually dead at the end of Episode I. :p

12. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I didn't like SbS, I thought it was good in parts but it really dragged. Traitor on the other hand... **** me I loved that.

13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I thought Jedi Search was okay but the other two saw a MASSIVE drop in quality. Now, the trilogy as a whole are the worst Star Wars books I've read. Though I haven't read that many...

14. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    After reading them, I agree. The first was pretty good, the second one did have a drop in quality, and the last book Champions of The Force was rather unbearable.

The ending battle was terrible. I think that Kyp should have died at the end, with a meaningful sacrifice. Instead he used the Sun Crusher for a second time against his enemies. It threw off the story's message which up to that point was....don't take a Sith Lord's advice by using super-weapons.

Also between the Death Star 'crew' and Daala, the Imperials are complete idiots gag got very old fast. At the end, they showed a realistic perspective of the battle from the stormtroopers, making them competent and humanizing their deaths. That was extremely jarring/depressing after they went through great lengths to make all the rest of the imperials in the story over-the-top caricatures.

However, I was okay with the Sun Crusher as a concept, since in Dark Empire I had to stomach such things like the "Galaxy Gun" and "World Devastators".

15. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I have my own question:

So I'm more of a post-ROTJ fan than any other era in the EU. I've read: TTT, Jedi Academy trilogy, I,Jedi, Hand of Thrawn duology, Survivor's Quest, and New Jedi Order.

From the prequel era I've read Rogue Planet (because it tied in with NJO), Outbound Flight (because it tied in with Thrawn) and I'm currently reading Shatterpoint (because I absolutely adored Traitor.)

I've tried reading X-Wing and got pretty bored really early on because I find Stackpole's writing dull and his obsession with Corran Horn almost unbearable.

I have no interest in anything Boba Fett or Mandalorians or clones-related; and as far as I am concerned, nothing was written in the main chronology after The Unifying Force.

Is there anything else I could read, or have I pretty much reached the end of what's enjoyable?

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    You could try the X-Wing books by Aaron Allston: Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command, Starfighters of Adumar, and Mercy Kill. They're pretty well-liked for their levity and humor.

Also Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is possibly the best post-ROTJ, pre-NJO novel. And if you like Shatterpoint and Traitor, try the Revenge of the Sith novelization by the same author.

17. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    themetresgained Aaron Allston wrote the other half of the X-Wing series. It still focuses on Wedge Antilles, but focuses on Wraith Squadron instead. If you like those, maybe you could try Mercy Kill. It's after TUF, but you might like it.

There's always the possibility that you don't like Star Wars anymore.

18. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Not possible. I took a hiatus from the fandom not long after RotS came out - I was never into the EU as a kid, just read the Star Wars databank compulsively - and boxed up most of my toys and kids' books and gave them to charity. Then the announcement that there were new movies just brought it all back.

To give you some context, when I said that I've read those books that I've mentioned, I meant that I've read them in the last six months. So yeah it's not like that at all.

VanishingReality likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hmm... you might want to pick up the old Han and Lando adventures books, I know you mentioned that you are a post Endor fan, but those are very enjoyable none the less, with the added bonus of being pretty much the first EU books.

20. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey guys, I'm back again.

Another question. I have a LOT of Star Wars books. I would say there is very little post-ROTJ and Pre Dark Nest that I don't own. My goal for the summer is to conquer these books, but I'm just curious. Should I bother with anything post NJO? I almost want them for the sake of collection but I can get them other ways.

Maybe this is a question for when I'm done with NJO. I don't know.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll second the Allston X-Wing books. I believe Corran has less than 5 or 6 lines throughout the entire trilogy.

I haven't gotten that far myself, but the Legacy comic series comes widely recommended. I know that I intend to read it directly after the NJO, as I've heard it serves as a much better sequel to that series than the post-NJO novels.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Darth Plagueis is the best book to jump into the EU

VanishingReality likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Post-NJO are two very polarizing series, LOTF and FOTJ. Opinions on quality vary, to say the least. There's also Crosscurrent and Riptide, and those are pretty good, as is Millennium Falcon. Those all take place between LOTF and FOTJ.

24. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    So essentially I need to read them myself and decide?

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If you want to know about the continuing stories of Han Luke and Leia and their grown children then I'd say definitely read them. If you're more interested in simply reading good stories I can give you a better breakdown of which of those 18 books are essential. Otherwise yeah, it's all about finding out your own tastes, unless you're like me and just want to read and enjoy everything.