main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    I honestly just like reading everything, or the thought of it. My goal for the summer is to try and conquer all the EU material I can. I'm not expecting much... it's Star Wars and I like to know the story. Experience it for myself compared to reading it on wookiepedia. Might take some struggling because I'm picky about writing styles, but I'm sure I'll have fun. :)

Though for the time being I think I'll hold off of buying hard copies and stick to what I have come across digitally when I reach that point. 109 books or something insane is what I have to read until then xD

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Libraries are really fabulous in this regard. And if they don't have the books, you can usually request that they purchase a title and they'll get it for you...

3. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    This is true. I know my library has the newest Star Wars books. c:

VanishingReality likes this.
  4. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    YEAH BABY!

5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I think the list I read is pretty good - though the Jedi Academy trilogy is pretty rubbish and all it does is introduce a few characters that are in the background of the new Jedi Order in later books.

6. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    I figured I would compile this list while waiting for dinner to finish.

The Books I Own (in chronological order)
    Lost Tribe of the Sith
    TOR: Revan
    Knight Errant
    Jedi Apprentice #1
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Ep 1
    Rogue Planet
    Jedi Quest
    Outbound Flight
    The Approaching Storm
    Ep 2
    First three republic commando books
    Ep 3
    The Last Jedi
    The Han Solo Trilogy (The Paradise Snare is the only one I've read)
    Death Troopers
    Ep 4-6
    All of the Tales books
    Scoundrels
    Allegiance/Choices of One (I've read both)
    Shadows of the Empire
    Bounty Hunter Wars
    Truce at Bakura
    First three Jedi Prince books (hahahaha)
    All of the X-wing books (except the newest, currently trying to read the first one)
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost
    Thrawn Trilogy (Comic and book versions)
    Jedi Academy/I, Jedi
    Children of the Jedi/Darksaber/Crystal Star
    Black Fleet Crisis
    Corellian Trilogy
    The New Rebellion
    Hand of Thrawn Duology
    Survivor's Quest
    Then all of the YJK books
    All of NJO
    and the first of the Dark Nest Trilogy

I'm clearly missing a lot of the prequel era books. Can you guys help me with the what to read most importantly and what I can skip/leave for later?
    I'm going to try and read everything eventually but I don't want to get... stuck.

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Good
    Lost Tribe of the Sith
    Knight Errant
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Rogue Planet
    Outbound Flight
    First Republic Commando book
    Ep 3
    The Han Solo Trilogy
    Ep 6
    All of the Tales books
    Scoundrels
    Shadows of the Empire
    All of the X-wing books
    Thrawn Trilogy (Comic and book versions)
    I, Jedi
    Hand of Thrawn Duology
    All of NJO

Average/Mediocre
    Jedi Apprentice #1
    Ep 1
    Jedi Quest
    Ep 2
    Next two Republic Commando books
    The Last Jedi
    Death Troopers
    Ep 4-5
    Allegiance/Choices of One
    Bounty Hunter Wars
    Truce at Bakura
    Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost
    Jedi Academy
    Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Black Fleet Crisis
    Corellian Trilogy
    Survivor's Quest
    Then all of the YJK books

Not Good
    TOR: Revan
    The Approaching Storm
    Crystal Star
    The New Rebellion
    The first of the Dark Nest Trilogy

Excellent
    First three Jedi Prince books

From the prequel era you're missing Darth Plagueis, Shatterpoint, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, and Labyrinth of Evil, which are all must-reads. I'm also fond of The Cestus Deception but I am the only person in the world who likes it so take that how you will.

RC-1991 and Winot like this.
  8. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Does anyone know if the Dark Empire 2 on Itunes includes the Empire's End audio drama as well? I was planning on getting the Dark Empire trilogy, but I don't know if the art is worth it and I can't find it for less than $100 anyway. [face_plain]

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Thank God--and here I thought I was the only one who felt this way about Stackpole's X-Wing books! (His Dark Tide duology is a little bit better, though.)

I really second the recommendation about Shadows of Mindor, BTW, as well as Allston's X-Wing entries, which use a lot more humor than Stackpole's.

The only things worth pursuing post-NJO (in my opinion) are Millennium Falcon and of course the Legacy comics. Maybe Crosscurrent and Riptide too, though I don't find them as good as MF or Legacy.

Regarding LotF and FotJ, hoo boy. I personally think they're terrible, both series, and be warned if you read them, they will pretty much completely ruin everything that was wrought narratively in the NJO series. While they're not unanimously considered awful (they do have some defenders on this board), a lot of fans strongly disapprove of both series, especially LotF. So read at your own risk, and I highly recommend perusing one or two from the library before deciding to commit money to them.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Allston's X-wing: Mercy Kill was pretty good.

11. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I have been doing the digital thing with the newer stuff too. It's a lot easier and cheaper for the most part. I just picked up the Lost Tribe series for like 5$.

On that note, Lost Tribe is cool, but the way it seemed snooping around here I was expecting something completely awesome and I am so far a bit underwhelmed. But we'll see. I am about halfway through I think. Maybe it will pick up? I mean don't get me wrong it's good....but I thought it was gonna be more gooder.

There's just something missing from it. Doesn't quite seem like a SW story so much because of the stuff that is missing, but I won't hate. It's a semi-good read so far, and it's SW (sort of), so that makes it a little better.

12. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    SO I've just finished reading the Young Jedi Knights series.
    Now do I start Vector Prime or should I go back in timeline and read Darth Plagueis?

13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    VECTOR PRIME.

Giovs and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    DARTH PLAGUEIS

Giovs likes this.
  15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I second Vector Prime. If you're already at that point in the timeline, you might as well press on! (Be sure to stop after The Unifying Force, however.)

Giovs and Zeta1127 like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What Rew said. Still, don't expect any references to YJK until about halfway through the series or so. ;)

Giovs, Zeta1127 and Rew like this.
  17. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks for the tips.
    But why stop at Unifying Force? I plan to read Legacy and FOTJ too.

18. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Legacy era is hit or miss for some people. Just try it and if you can always stop.

19. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Lots of people don't like all or parts of it. But then,some people don't like the NJO, or just about anything else. Everything has its dislikers, it's better to see what you think yourself.
    (A note: I really dislike LotF. Sacrifice was about the worst thing I think could have happened to the series at that point. And then FotJ just felt disorganized, for one thing.)

Gorefiend and VanishingReality like this.
  20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The Dark Nest trilogy is decent on its own (I more dislike it for what it later led to). As for LotF and FotJ, I find that the quality of storytelling and just outright character assassinations in those books (particularly LotF) are so bad--and undo so much of what was achieved in NJO--that I recommend checking out the first two or three as library books before deciding if you actually want to spend money on them.

I strongly dislike those books, but who knows? You might enjoy them. It's like I say: Try 'em before you buy 'em. ;)

VanishingReality likes this.
  21. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    As far as I am concerned, there is a gaping hole in the continuity between The Unifying Force and the Legacy comics :p

I've read such terrible things about Dark Nest and beyond - how it completely retcons some of my favourite aspects of NJO (and everyone who's read it will know what I'm talking about) and is written by some of the worse writers of the EU.

22. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Got it. Thank you guys. Well, I'll read it anyway and judge it by myself.

SPOILER ALERT:

Almost finishing Vector Prime, Chewie's death was hard to read... It really sank my heart. It's that kind of emotional link with the characters that made me want to jump in the EU in the first place, and it's what makes me hope the Sequel Trilogy won't erase the EU from existence, while the books will still be there, they won't have the same feel to them as, you know, the legitimate further adventures of our favorite characters.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You want hard to read? Try reading the short comic series Chewbacca, which takes place shortly after Vector Prime and visually depicts some of its scenes. Such an emotional rollercoaster. All my feels, indeed. But it's a really good comic, taking a look at various parts of Chewie's life.

24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I did just that. I own a copy of that series tradepaperback. Sad indeed :(
    Finished Vector Prime, I'll start the Dark Tide duology on friday I think.

25. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    That's right, support your local library!!
    I fear the day that libraries go away because everything is digital. :(

Giovs likes this.