main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I've read up to the 7th or 8th book in the NJO. I have not read anything past that in SW chronology with the exception of the Legacy Comics. Would I be completely lost trying to read Millennium Falcon?

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, not lost. Millennium Falcon is a pretty stand-alone story. It spoils the end of LOTF, so if you haven't read that or know what happened there and want to avoid spoilers, don't read Millennium Falcon.

However, if spoilers don't concern you, I'd definitely suggest reading MF. It's a fun story, and delivers on its promise to flesh out the history of the Falcon. There's a section or two that leads into FOTJ, but nothing too bad.

3. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Is there some kind of licensing issue which dictates which books get put out for download on Google Books? They have quite a few SW novels, but maybe only 5 or 6 from the NJO. Kinda sucks.

4. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Just to follow up I got Clone Wars vol 1 and it was great! Definitely getting the next two omnibuses. Particularly enjoyed Quinlan Vos's whole story and the battle of Kamino.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is Palpatine ever referred to as such (as opposed to just "The Emperor") in Heir to the Empire?

6. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've finished reading the Dark Tide duology and started with Hero's Trial I yesterday, great promises in it.
    Boy, am I glad that Han is getting back in business, about time he goes out to blast some Vong and avenge Chewie
    I Hope he doesn't disappear again in further novels, while I like the Force Users, it's good to have a normal guy in the middle of the action.
    Also I'm getting tired of Mara being sick all the time...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Han doesn't disappear, except in Edge of Victory I, but then again everyone disappears for that one while Anakin gets the spotlight. :p

8. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Agreed. Books without Han and Chewie aren't any fun. Books without BOTH of them...well. About two years ago I stopped reading the NJO after Edge of Victory I partly because of this. Recently I've wanted to at least try to finish the NJO if not for completions sake, then to at least get me into the books that come after. So I picked up conquest (again) just to get a refresher for the second book.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Traitor a little later on

10. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    What is a good graphic novel collection story involving Nomi Sunrider especially her debut.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    X-wing Rogue Squadron: Battlefield: Tatooine and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell.

12. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Don't remember. But he is referred to as the former Senator Palpatine in Shadows of the Empire (1996)

13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    He's referred to as the former Senator Palpatine in TTT as well.

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember him specifically being called that in the TTT middle book Dark Force Rising, at least.

themetresgained likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    She debuted in the original Tales of the Jedi series (subsequently subtitled "Knights of the Old Republic" (not to be confused with the game of the same name or the comic series inspired by the game) and appeared throughout the rest of the series (except for the two prequel TOTJ stories, "Golden Age of the Sith" and "Fall of the Sith Empire")

The entire TOTJ saga was collected into two Omnibus releases- the KOTOR arc mentioned above included towards the end of Volume 1 and the subsequent stories are in Vol 2.

16. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    Hi there,

Long time reader, but started a new account after not having posted since the prequel days.

I have become a huge EU reader over the last year, starting with Darth Plaguies and making my
    way through most of the prequel era novels. My favorites tended to be the ones written by Luceno and
    Stover.

Because of my interest in those writers and their style I've been wanting to delve into The NJO books.
    (Despite their potential upcoming demise as "canon" )
    To prepare I plan to read, The Thrawn Trilogy, the Dark Empire Trilogy,
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy, I Jedi, and the other three Zahn books from the New Republic era.
    Is there anything else that I should read in order to prepare for NJO?
    I'm just not too interested in reading a lot of Bantam books that involve another super weapon
    but I also don't want to head to Wookiepedia every few lines to keep up.

Did I miss anything?

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You might want to read Rogue Planet at some point before reading the latter NJO books if you haven't already. Not gonna say any more..

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    You can probably skip the Jedi Academy trilogy. It's okay, but by no means necessary, especially since I, Jedi covers the same events, but from a different perspective. The rest are probably fine to read though.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You've got most of the real essentials covered. There are elements from just about every Bantam book that show up at some point, but they're not so extensive that you can't jump on Wookieepedia to look up background on the tiny handful of characters or events that the NJO doesn't give you enough context for. The one main possible choice you're missing would be the X-wing series of books. There are a lot of them, but they're some of the best EU, and they introduce a lot of characters who go on to be major supporting characters in the NJO.

20. KarrdeFan

KarrdeFan Jedi Master

Oct 18, 2012

I just started reading NJO and am on book 2 right now. I would second reading the X-Wing Series. The first four books will help with reading I, Jedi as well. I read a bunch of books as well before for the same reason, but mainly just stuck with those that sounded good to me as I knew once I jumped into NJO, I would not be coming out of them for a while. A good summer reading program for me as I tend to read at least a book a week. So, I would go with books sound the best myself but those are great choices plus X-Wing. I have not read Rogue Planet myself as I have tend to read those post ROJ.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Rogue Planet isn't a 'must read' but books later in the NJO line refer to certain events in it.

22. BelindaP

BelindaP Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2013
    I m new to EU, but I have a question about Legacy comics too was wondering where i can get them from in Europe? Any suggestion are welcome.

23. BelindaP

BelindaP Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2013
    Wonderful list of questions and solutions. Thanks a lot.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Depends were you live, Amazon Germany, Amazon France and Amazon Britain usually have the Trade Paper Backs sitting around, also most book stores that also sell other comic TPB will order them for you if you ask nicely. The recently released Book 1 collection should be the easiest to get as well as the most cost effective.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-L...88347&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+legacy+book+1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-L...88360&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+legacy+book+2

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is there any possibility that an as-of-yet unexplored Sith war occured in between the Hundred-Year Darkness and the Great Hyperspace War and/or in between the Great Hyperspace War and the Great Sith War?