main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or before then?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Nothing before the Hundred-Year Darkness because the Hundred-Year Darkness was the birth of the Sith (unless that gets retconned).

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I bet something will eventually happen before then. Or maybe not if the EU as we know is completely wiped away.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Non-Sith darksiders might work

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well there is that schism close to the beginning of the Republic that had Arden Lyn in it. Don't remember much about it off the top of my head.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Great_Schism

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That's what I thought it was

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also wonder why the Great Hyperspace War is often excluded from the Old Sith Wars

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    VanishingReality likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's from the first arc of Empire, Betrayal. It had a bunch of flashbacks for Vader.

As for the skinny replies, are you on a mobile device? I've noticed the same thing on my iPod touch.

11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks so much! Mystery solved.

Nope, I'm on an unfamiliar borrowed laptop, Apple Safari.

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Per Ramza, skinny replies are because of: "Too many nested quotes relative to your browser window width. Well-known issue, but there's no obvious fix."

13. DarthUltious

DarthUltious Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2013
    I'm a bit behind on my EU, right now. Got my reading list for Post-RotJ. Corellian Trilogy, Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology; and then maybe the big series. But only maybe. With the X-Wing series on the side. I stopped reading this list a while ago, because I've been skipping around. Darth Bane, the TOR novels, a few standalones, non-SW stuff. I got some Attention Deficit something... can anyone recommend me some Prequel Trilogy works? I hear Shatterpoint is good, but everything else I'm getting really schizophrenic reviews on. And comics. I read Dawn of the Jedi, but that's it.

VanishingReality and pronker like this.
  14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Darth Plagueis, Rogue Planet, Outbound Flight, Shatterpoint, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith (the novelization), and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. You can skip everything else.

15. DarthUltious

DarthUltious Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2013
    Plagueis, I actually ordered a few days ago. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I love Sith. Along with Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, because I wanted to reread it. And have it in Paperback, to go with "Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor", which I love to death. I also read Outbound Flight when I read Survivor Quest. Excellent read. Love Thrawn. Love well-written prequel era characters.

So, I'll write those others down and try to find them at the library.

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I can recommend Dark Times, any way that you can get it. Fantastic art and involving storylines. I'm enjoying Dawn of the Jedi currently, too.

DO NOT LINK TO PIRATED MATERIAL.

17. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Started Balance Point yesterday, I'm really enjoying the NJO so far, the authors are making a good job in mantaining the Vong as hateble villains.

18. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Started the Legacy of the Force : Betrayal audio book a few days ago. Pretty good adaption, but I did notice there a few ''scenes'' from the novel that are missing in the audio book. Suppose there just isn't enough time adapt a entire novel into an audio book without trimming it down a little bit ''i.e the leaving out the less important parts''.

pronker likes this.
  19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    The audio books are superb! I've really enjoyed them on long drives, with Jonathan Davis and Jeff Gurner excellent VA's. Yes, unsurprising that abridged versions sell better, I guess ...

20. Darth Fright

Darth Fright Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2013
    I find myself in a interesting position when reading NJO, on one hand i'm like "Why in the hell would they do that?" while on the other hand I found the plot gripping, So basically I like it but I hate it... If that makes sense...

21. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I know a while back (probably around the time that Invincible came out) they released the Betrayal ebook and abridged audiobook for free. Perhaps there's a for $ unabridged version? That abridged version is the only audiobook I've ever listened to, but I know that if that's how I was "reading" the book for the first time, I would want it unabridged.

22. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    So I'm halfway through Balance Point. Beware if you haven't read it yet, there are spoilers here.
    So far so good, Han and Leia are getting along again, Mara discovers she's pregnant, the Hutts are getting into trouble with the Vong, etc.
    I am enjoying the series, but I also have some criticism for it:
    Mostly, Jacen, he's boring me to death with his doubts about using or not the force in an agressive way when the situaton calls for it. I can understand the debate, but I'm in the 5° book of the series and he haven't decided yet, I hope the "Balance Point" in the title also goes for a final decision for him. The way he is now, he looks nothing like the Jacen from the Young Jedi Knights series.
    On the other hand Jaina and Anakin are great.
    I also wonder... where's Boba Fett? They should use him in the series. And what about the other Young Jedi Knights? They've made some small cameos but that's it.
    I hope those issues are fixed as the series continues.

23. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Boba Fett pops up briefly in The Unifying Force. The ebook Boba Fett: A Practical Man and the Star Wars Tales story Revenants covers what he's doing for the majority of the war. As for the Young Jedi Knights, they're featured prominently in Star by Star.

24. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    You're kidding! I would have loved to see him kicking some Vong ass... what a waste.

25. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Boba Fett: A Practical Man and The Unifying Force are pretty good on that score, though they essentially only cover the very beginning and the very end of the war, leaving Fett's role throughout the bulk of the war left only to reference material.

Contessa likes this.