main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga General Theory of Lightsaber Color

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AndreLoga, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Bordell Eli

Bordell Eli Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2017
    Yeah, had to recheck that myself. [​IMG]

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    From another perspective, there may be significance in the fact that both Skywalkers lose their hand fighting with a blue saber handed down to them by Obi-Wan.

In AOTC Anakin blocks Dooku's death-blow on Obi-Wan with the green saber he was using, Obi-Wan throws him the blue saber Obi-Wan was just defeated using, then Dooku cuts the green saber in half and cuts off Anakin's arm. Symbol of lost potential?
    In ESB Luke loses his hand fighting with the same saber Anakin revenge-killed Dooku with. And given to him by Obi-Wan in ANH.

Darth Basin and ATMachine like this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do wonder why in the new continuity the majority of colorless crystals create a blue and green blade for Jedi. Sure I know the out of universe reason why we see so many of them, but I wish there was an explanation why we don't see more purple and yellow blades in the Jedi Order. Could their be a relation to where the Jedi get the crystals? Maybe for some reason most of their crystal sites create blue/green colored lightsabers.

And I do want to know whether or not a Jedi could make a natural red blade (no darkside twisting the crystal).

I'm also curious in the new continuity, whether this main blue/green has been a defining feature of the Jedi throughout time. Could ancient Jedi have used more color variety?

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Lesson: don't accept lightsabers from Obi-Wan Kenobi. Those things are as bad as death sticks. :p

Sarge, Darth Basin and HevyDevy like this.
  5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    If Rey loses a limb in TLJ & if they don't make her a Skywalker that will be pointless.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There were changes way before Lucas sold his company. TOTJ had Andur and Nomi Sunrider delivering a box of crystals to Master Thon, rather than seeking them out on their own. The Temple on Ilum which was introduced in the "Jedi Quest" comic, first established a permanent residence for finding crystals. Since said Temple made it into TCW and that survived into the current continuity, it's importance has only been further stressed. Though other Temples like Lothal have their own crystals. As to all other colors, that was kinda undone before Lucas sold his company. A lot of the multi colored sabers were changed to blue, green, purple and occasionally yellow, once Lucas stated how Lightsaber colors were. Every Jedi character who had a different color from the films, had their sabers recolored to match what was in the films. Even post ROTJ sabers changed as well. Leia's saber from "Ambush On Corellia" was destroyed in order to get her a blue saber as seen in "The Unseen Queen".

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes that stuff is legends and was made that way a long time before disney

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, yellow (Temple guards) came from Filoni, not Lucas. They were meant to be green. Lucas simply didn't ask them to change when he approved the episodes.

thejeditraitor and ATMachine like this.
  9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Crazy head canon theory.

A yellow blade is formed when a FS person never touches the Crystal!

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, crystals are colorless until it's connected to a person.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Sorry, but all this new theory on lightsaber color is ridiculous. Sounds like BS to me. I liked it better when color meant nothing. There have been Jedi figures with red blades, Dark Jedi figures with blue blades. The old KOTOR, TOR games and Tales of the Jedi comics all show a variety of color. Sith just chose red. Now everybody wants to make the color have special meaning. I don't get it.

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Lightsaber colors have always held a significant meaning, even in the old EU: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal#Significance_of_colors In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the new meaning were inspired by the old ones from the old KOTOR and TOR games. It's just in new canon, lightsaber color meaning have a less hierarchical basis.

Darth Basin likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Lucas was talking to Samuel L. Jackson about Lightsaber blades during the making of AOTC.

@4:48.

The old EU didn't know that because Lucas was hands off for years and when he went to work on the PT, that's when the edict came down.

14. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
  15. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    There's danger (and ridiculousness) in taking casual conversations as gospel truth. It's like how George Lucas made a joke while talking to Jon Stewart and now Obi-Wan's home planet is named Stewjon.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, Lightsaber blades weren't something that the folks in the publishing and video game departments bothered Lucas with. Mainly because no one felt it was important to ask. They'd ask him about other things like what the Sith were and a bit of their history. So when Kevin J. Anderson, who was one of the first to expand upon the colored blades, he just went ahead and followed what had been set up about Lightsaber design from West End Games. Everyone else just followed what he and "Dark Forces II" established. That's why the figures from TPM had multiple colored blades. Adi Gallia had a burgundy blade and later it was changed to blue, after Lucas said that about Lightsaber blade colors in 2000.

True, but it became the standard to follow. See the examples I posted earlier. I think the only Jedi blade to remain untouched was Neeja Halcyon's blade.

Bazinga'd and ATMachine like this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's as old as AOTC's DVD. At least I recall it being in there.

Casual conversations can be informative, if we understand and accept their respective context. That's the difference between the former (Jackson's genuine question) and the latter (Jon Stewart's joke).

18. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    And yet, in the Legends canon, both were taken with the same degree of seriousness.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's the EU for you. Nothing to see there.

ATMachine likes this.
  20. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    The planet Stewjon desperatly needs an alternative name!

Examples Mon Calamari also Dac or Kasshyyk also Wookiee Homeworld.

ATMachine likes this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I hope you are talking about other examples of EU integration? Otherwise, how is any of this relevant to the thread?

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I was! Alternative planet names is an EU thing.

ATMachine and Bazinga'd like this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In the case of Dac, it only made sense because just calling the planet Mon Calamari and the people Mon Calamari tends to be confusing. We don't call humans Earth, just Earthlings. In the case of Kashyyyk, as far as I know, that was the official name since "The Holiday Special". I don't know what Marvel used, but I know since "Heir To The Empire", it was Kashyyyk.

24. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    EU used Wookiee Homeworld and Wookiee Planet C as alternative names.

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    OK. This thread is about lightsaber color not alternative planet names. Stay on target.