main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga General Theory of Lightsaber Color

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AndreLoga, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

I'm sorry. My humblest apologies.

Back on target. The Story Group needs to make more LS stuff canon like colors. I'm sure colors won't effect long term canon projects.

AndreLoga and Bazinga'd like this.
  2. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Green=wisdom
    Blue = bravery
    Red = dark side
    Purple = a mix of blue and red, so a mix of bravery and the dark side

To me, the lightsaber color indicates something about their user. I’m still trying to figure out what a white and yellow saber indicate. Purple makes sense for Mace since he uses Vaapad, which dances dangerously close to the dark side (although I suppose that’s no longer canon).

Now I suppose that if you don’t like the idea of lightsaber colors meaning anything, then it doesn’t. I personally just like the idea that blue sabers generally signal a Jedi that is more brave and reckless and daring and generally better duelists as well, whereas green sabers signify those who are wiser and more thoughtful.

ATMachine likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    except none of that is true.

Alexrd likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of the movies not establishing or corroborating a meaning. Jedi with blue sabers are not less wiser or thoughtful than Jedi with green sabers. And the latter are not less brave, reckless or daring than the former. It's just not there. If something like that is established in the EU (new or old), it's going against what's established on screen as far as content and characters go.

Sarge and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    This is a good theory and makes as much sense as a lot of the stuff in "canon". Although it is a bit meta-textual rather than strictly logical as far as in-universe ideas go.

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  6. Pain and Suffering

Mar 8, 2015
    I think if you examine the personalities of the users who wield green sabers against those that wield blue sabers, there is some corroboration of what the saber color is signaling us about the character.

For example, I would describe Yoda, Qui-Gon, and ROTJ Luke as wiser than say, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and ANH Luke. I'm not saying that Jedi with blue lightsabers can't be wise or smart ever, it's just a personality thing. Jedi with green lightsabers are generally going to be calmer and more centered and balanced than people with blue lightsabers, who tend to be more high-stung. I'm not saying that people with green lightsabers aren't brave, either. But people with blue lightsabers lean a bit more towards being big risk-takers who leap into action, and like I said, are generally better duelists.

I know that the EU is no longer cannon, but some of it is part of my head cannon, so to me it still counts, even if I realize that the information is not truly valid in fans' arguments. Like I said before, if you don't like the theory that lightsaber color signifies something about the user and you don't get enjoyment out of thinking that a lightsaber color means more than just being a color, than that's fine. But my personal opinion is that it's cool that a lightsaber takes means something about its wielder.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not really.

I wouldn't. With the exception of Luke before ROTJ, they all show wisdom at various points throughout the movies. Yoda more so than the rest. Same with dueling skills.

My point is that nothing corroborates that. The movies definitely don't.

Again, it's not about personal preference. What I like or not is irrelevant. There's no association between lightsaber color and personality/behaviour. That's a fact, not a matter of opinion. You're free to wish that lightsaber colors had meaning. There's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is pretending they have meaning by making up a concept that the movies not only don't support but contradict.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not just that, but look at the Jedi beyond the main characters. Ki-Adi-Mundi is a wise Jedi and yet, he had a blue blade. Same with Plo Koon. Ezra Bridger uses a blue blade and then a green blade, yet he's far from wise. Ahsoka Tano used green blades as a Jedi, yet she wasn't wise. The theory is a bit sound, but falls apart when you look beyond the main cast of the films.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Also skin color comes into play! Darth Maul haves red skin with black tattoos, red saber. Yoda haves green skin, green saber. Aayla Secura haves blue skin, blue saber.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    And Luke, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, K-Adi, et al have...?

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. AndreLoga

AndreLoga Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2017

I don't think it could be related to the location that Jedi get their crystals. I believe in the old canon, or maybe just in the EU, it was explained that way; crystals were already made with color and the main kyber crystal mine was at Ilum, which would contain mainly green and blue crystals.
    But in the new canon it's improbable that location could be related, since it implies that colors are related to what the Force user does with the crystal. In the new canon, they're all made originally colorless (white), turns red when it "bleeds" exposed to the darkside and can then be "cured" by the lightside, turning white.
    That means, if there is no way to change a crystal's color apart from force users making it change, then the green and blue predominance among Jedi can never be related to the location of their crystals' gathering. It must actually be related to the predominant ways of using the Force, the mind and the body whitin the Jedi Order, which have yet to be revealed.

Blue and Green sabers meaning predominance of either physical or mental skills was just a guess I made to keep the theory going, but apart from the real answer to what they mean, that answer could still fit my theory's structure, which is the actual issue I intended to portrait.

The actual structure would go as following, as far as green and blue meanings (X and Y) are not yet revealed:
    X = -Y (If blue and green are related to predominance, which is heavily suggested, they must be of opposite values, meaning [X+Y=0]. I'll note when this happens with (X+Y))
    Blue = [ Lightside + X ]
    Green = [ Lightside + Y ]
    Red = [ Darkside ] (Without the Lightside, it's irrelevant if X or Y occurs)Cyan (Not yet seen in canon) = [ Lightside (X+Y) ] (blue + green)
    Purple = [ Darkside + Lightside + X ] (red + blue)
    Yellow = [ Darkside + Lightside + Y ] (red + green)
    Yellow-Green (Ahsoka) = [ Darkside/2 + Lightside + Y ] (red + green + green )
    Light-Blue (Sinube) = [ Darkside/2 + Lightside + X/2 ] (red + blue + blue + green)
    White = [ Darkside + Lightside (X+Y) ] (red + blue + green) or maybe [ Darkside -> Lightside ] (Canon suggests both ways might be valid)
    Black = [ Z ] (Isn't a real color)

I believe it's pretty self-explanatory put that way, if you take the time to analyse it with caution.
    There might be more rules to it, such as red sabers only being revertible to white - that's suggested in the Ahsoka novel, since the crystals don't turn red the same way they would to other colors. And also other rules, such as the darksaber possibly being an example of a deeper process of crystal corruption or degeneration than red or even a completely different kind of process or creation of the crystal.
    BTW, I can't seem to find the edit button for my original post. Has it expired or something? I'd like to add this structure to it.

12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    The edit button lasts only around 30 minutes after a post.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I thought it was upped to 90 minutes a while ago? I haven't checked lately.

14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

My bad!

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    On the discussion of non-darkside red.

We got this.

While the duel is a force illusion, it is still odd how a lightsaber on the wall in the "jedi temple" is red. Is the color merely there for symbolic reasons? Or is their some historical accuracy to is appearance? Could red, like purple, just be a rare color for the Jedi to use?

Though it would break tradition, it is my wish we do see eventually see a Jedi build a lightsaber with a red color. In the future if Rey builds her own, I think red would suit her. To differ from Kylo's color, it could be a different variation of red.

In TCW, we saw different shades of traditional blue and green. Ahsoka's shoto was a green/yellow mix.

This dude has a light blue blade.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tera_Sinube's_lightsaber

Maybe we can eventually get a light red blade or see again light blue or another variation of an existing color.

AndreLoga likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If Rey builds a light red blade, how many people will be offended that the girl Jedi has a pinksaber? :rolleyes:

AndreLoga and Darth Basin like this.
  17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    How about a tad orange for Rey?

18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't see a lighter shade of red then the darksiders being a pink blade.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's merely symbolic. Kanan has two paths to choose, that of a Jedi and that of a Sith. He chooses the Jedi way when he stops fighting and admits that he will train Ezra as best as possible and learn to let him go, if he falls. That's why he's holding the red saber when he's saying this. Holding it is showing that he will fall, closing it down and saying what he says results in his becoming a Knight.

thejeditraitor and Darth Basin like this.
  20. Pain and Suffering

Mar 8, 2015
    You can have a blue blade and still be wise. I just meant that people with a green blade are generally wiser than those with blue blades. Luke is wiser and more mature in ROTJ then in ANH, so he moves from a blue blade to green. Anakin is smart, but I wouldn’t exactly describe him as wise. Same for Obi-Wan. I’m not saying that they are never wise in anything they do, I’m just saying that I would describe people like Yoda and Qui-Gon as wiser.
    Would you mind explaining what contradicts this theory in the movies? I personally cannot think of anything that directly contradicts this theory. It is a matter of opinion, and if you don’t like the theory, then you can just think of the blade’s color as just that – the blade’s color. There’s nothing wrong with that. But if you do like the idea of the color indicating something about its wielder, then I don’t see why it is a problem to believe that the lightsaber’s color means something. It’s simply a difference in perspective.
    Not sure I'd describe Ki-Adi-Mundi as exactly wise. Some of his lines just seem a bit dumb and nothing he does really inspires me to think of him as wise. I concede Plo Koon probably should have had a green lightsaber. As for Ahsoka, I think her having a green blade works. “Wise” might be taking things a bit far for her age, but I feel like if you compare her to other padawans her age, she is actually pretty mature.

And I'm glad you brought up Ezra. Ezra and Kanan are the major exceptions to this theory. In season one, Kanan does seem like he merits a blue blade but by the time of season three, although I haven’t yet seen it, from what I’ve heard, Kanan should have a green blade, and Ezra should have a blue blade, or even possibly a purple blade.

AndreLoga likes this.
  21. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Snips is many things but I don't think she became wise until SWR.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    she was wise enough to leave the order.

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    How about Jedi just pick a color they like and use it? Makes a lot more sense than all the BS people are coming up with.

ATMachine and Darth Basin like this.
  24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think the fact that Luke was intended to have a blue lightsaber in RotJ nips the theory in the bud.
    [​IMG]

It was only made green because the blue didn't show up well against the desert sky. Initially, lightsabers were only meant to have been either blue or red. No green.

Darth Basin and ATMachine like this.
  25. AndreLoga

AndreLoga Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2017

No, it wasn't. I couldn't fix that line about cyan sabers in my last comment after just 30 minutes. That limit should definitely be upped or removed altogether.

Thanks, Pain, you actually get it; there is nothing that contradicts the hypothesis here and Alex hasn't exposed ANY reasoning whatsoever for his opinions.

About Luke's first blue saber, though, remember he didn't construct it, so it shouldn't reflect anything about him - not if he doesn't change the crystal's connection to the Force, like Ahsoka did in her novel. Maybe Luke was the green kind all along (whatever that means) and we only knew that after he made his first lightsaber.

And you suppose green and blue are the favorite colors of 95% of the 10.000 Jedi knights of the entire Jedi Order?
    And that Anakin happened to start liking red about the same time as he turned a Sith lord? And that Maul, Dooku, Palpatine, all the Inquistors and Kylo Ren just happened to be members of the Red Club too?
    And that there's also a Yellow Club just for Temple Guards?
    If you don't buy the 95% estimative, I suppose in episode II Yoda just felt like calling the Blue and Green Clubs for a party at Geonosis along with some clones and inadvertedly got caught up in a separatist scheme?
    Sorry, I just needed to make that point and the examples didn't stop coming.

Yeah, but what whatever was intended doesn't matter if it doesn't make it to the big screen.
    And you can't rebuttal an in-universe theory with an out-of-universe explanation, we're talking in-universe explanations here.