"General Vos" (Ep3 Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alixen, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenLightsaber24 Jedi Master

star 2
    Ah. That's why I didn't remember it.
  2. Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't like it when the EU tries to shove one of its characters into the movie. Like Mara Jade being in ROTJ. It's too revisionist.
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Quinlan wasn't "shoved into" the film- it was Lucas's idea. And Mara wasn't in ROTJ, though she was present during some of the events that occured in it.
  4. Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't remember if they said why Qui-Gon didn't recognize Quinlan on Tatooine in Ep3 or at least acknowledge him. If he did recognize him, I just assumed he didn't make a big deal out of it so they could have a low profile. There isn't some short story or mention in a comic about Quinlan's presence on Tatooine is there? I'm trying to remember, but if you look at his outfit, it's not very Jedi-ish. Probably trying to keep a low profile as well for some reason---if there's a story about him being there.
  5. QuentinGeorge Jedi Master

star 5
    I don't like it when the EU tries to shove one of its characters into the movie.

"Shoved in" is hardly a way to describe "added to the script by the writer-director himself".

Besides, Vos fits naturally into the era anyway. He has an appearance and background not too wacky, and established relationships with the major characters.
  6. JediGaven Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Imagine if Vos did go with Qui-Gon. Would've (could've) changed the course of the SW history as we know it.
  7. prime-hunter Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Um.. in what part exactly does Quinlan Vos appear in TPM??? I've seen Aurra Sing (former Jedi). Does Vos appear in the part were Anakin jumps off his Pod Racer and everyone starts cheering him?
  8. JediGaven Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "Um.. in what part exactly does Quinlan Vos appear in TPM??? I've seen Aurra Sing (former Jedi). Does Vos appear in the part were Anakin jumps off his Pod Racer and everyone starts cheering him?"

I'd like to know the exact scene as well. I have TPM on DVD at home, so I wanna check on it when I get there.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/quinlanvos/img/bts_bg.jpg]
  10. JediGaven Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Woah.

Thanks, 2ndquest.

'Still going to go home and check it out, though.
  11. QuentinGeorge Jedi Master

star 5
    That picture is hilarious in itself. It looks like Sebulba and Jar Jar are old buddies.

"Give me five, old buddy!"
  12. Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wasn't talking about Vos in Ep 3. I thought that was pretty cool. I'm talking about shoving Vos into TPM after the fact.
  13. QuentinGeorge Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm talking about shoving Vos into TPM after the fact.

They didn't shove him in anywhere. They applied a name and personality to a TPM extra.
  14. prime-hunter Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well, I guess they (the filmmakers) just didn't want to make attention out of Vos. Like Aurra Sing.
  15. Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think Quinlan was even an EU character at the time of filming that scene. I've always been interested in knowing how he got started, character-wise. The woman who draws him in the comics and basically "created" him was at Celebration III, so I figure that they just plucked a background face out of the movie and made it into a comic. I think the Stark Hyperspace War was Quinlan's premiere wasn't it?
  16. Kwenn Jedi Master

star 5
    Chronologically, I think that's Quin's earliest adventure, but his debut was in Twilight.

The design for Quin was based off that nameless extra in TPM. The EU then labeled said extra as their newly-created character, and explained why he was there and why he didn't help Qui-Gon. He wasn't inserted into TPM or anything; the character was based on the design.
  17. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    Quin's "earliest" chronological appearance was in The Stark Hyperspace War, along with a flashback in Republic #69. And that's correct -- unlike Whie or Grievous, Quin was retroactively based off of an existing TPM extra, not the other way 'round.
  18. Mavrick889 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There's a pre-SHW flashback in Rite of Passage too.
  19. skawookiee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And that's correct -- unlike Whie or Grievous, Quin was retroactively based off of an existing TPM extra, not the other way 'round.

I was under the impression that Grievous was originally concieved as a villian for the film, they just included him in the EU leading up to the movie to hype it.
  20. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    Right, that's what I was saying -- Grievous, Whie, Bly, Cody and the rest were original LucasConceptions?, and meted out to the Expanded Universe prior to the film's release.

Quinlan was an after-the-fact creation by John and Jan (and Tim?), taking an already-filmed background extra and hashing out a fully-realized, living, breathing character.
  21. prime-hunter Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I have a question...
    Does Quinlan Vos die in Order 66? Did he survive? Did he die earlier?
  22. JediGaven Jedi Youngling

star 2
    On Luukesabers, it says he went into hiding during the Jedi Purge, but you can't really look upon that.
  23. Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The woman's name is escaping me at the moment, but the creator of Quinlan was at Celebration 3 and I had her sign the part of the EP3 comic where Quinlan is shown standing on the tank and it explodes. She said that she was completely surprised by it and didn't even know that he had died. She gave me a web address, it's out there somewhere, where you can sign a list to keep Quinlan alive. Honestly, I hope he somehow survives and becomes the main character in the tv series. He's such an awesome character.
  24. prime-hunter Jedi Youngling

star 1
    oh.. well, if you find it, please tell me the adress. I want him to be alive too...
  25. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6
    Officially -- at the moment, at any rate -- Quin's "deed."

Unofficially, though, it was a two-panel deal, and not reaffirmed by the film, as was originally planned. Thus, there's ample wiggle-room, unlike -- obvious to everyone who's seen it -- with Aayla.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.