main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Generation gaps among the fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by princessnikki, Nov 28, 2012.

?

Are you an original era fan, a Special Edition fan or a Prequel Trilogy Fan?

1. Original Era

98 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Special Edition Era

28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Prequel Trilogy Era

28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Haven't seen any movies and the E.U stories are my Star Wars!

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. What is Star Wars? Is that the one with Captain Picard?

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    That is actually a lot tougher that it looks.

Mixture of the OT and the Special Edition. Hard to say really.
    Probably the same as Iron Lord.

2. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm a 80's kid with an older brother and relatively young uncle, so that's where my interest started. didn't see any in theaters, but saw them all on VHS. I remember it being like christmas when a SW movies was on tv (hell, it kinda still is).
    That's why I don't mind the SE so much, it was the first time I saw Star Wars in theaters, and it was pretty damn epic for a 17 year old who grew up with that stuff.
    First memory is from my grandparents' house, watching ANH over and over again, especially the opening scenes. But I always liked Empire the best, and thought I was the weird one because everyone else seemed to prefer ANH back then. That was until I found the internet.

3. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    The good thing about the new movies and new generations of fans means that Star Wars will continue to be with us in more ways than ever now and when I think back to that period of time when I thought it had disappeared forever, I can be quite nostalgic about that time of my life.

I was only six when I saw Star Wars in 1977 and when it came out the impact was huge! It was almost impossible to not know what Star Wars is or who Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia or Darth Vader was! They were everywhere and a big part of people lives.

Being female, I think my parents were a little bit concerned that I wasn't into dolls like other girls and I remember when I asked for a Millenium Falcon for Christmas and we went to the shop to get it, we had to tell the shop person that it was for my non-existant little brother. I think my parents might have thought that the people at the shop thought they were strange buying a Millenium Falcon for a girl!

Episode Swag likes this.
  4. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I was born in 71. My Dad took me to see ANH at the cinema when it came out over here and I got the old Marvel comics and started getting the toys (12 figures at launch and Luke was permanently sold out!) I got a "Force Beam" (Red for heroes! Green for princesses! Boy they got that wrong) and my Mum took me to Leicester Square to see ESB and subsequently ROTJ. Star Wars pretty much took a back seat as I moved into my teens and discovered girls and rock music. Then....at an airport in 91 going on holiday I saw Heir To The Empire on the shelf, hell, I needed a holiday book, why not try this? I was hooked again. The figures started coming out again and I bought them, and any other tat I saw in shops, then the Special Editions hit. I saw them all at the cinema again and saw all the PT when they came out and Clone Wars. I thought that was it. I'm busy sorting out my K1 at the moment to emigrate and marry my US fiancee, and then on Oct 31st came the news I thought I'd never hear, Star Wars is back! I will be waiting patiently in line in Fort Worth when it comes out (with my non Star Wars loving wife begrudgingly in tow) and I will be a kid all over again. I know I'll come out grinning like a loon and a happy 45 year old kid. Its Star Wars, sure it missteps sometimes, but its Star Wars and I can't wait.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm an original era kid..

6. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    This thread was confusing?

Is it asking which era I'm a fan of, or which I grew up on/born in?

7. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    It was asking what era was it when you first became a fan?

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I was born in 1977, the year ANH came out at the cinema. By the time ESB was in the theater by uncle took me to see it, that movie changed my world. I remember being horrified by the Han carbonite freezing scene. ROTJ was fantastic and was my favourite for a long time, it was around this point where I was avidly collecting all the toys (remember the cut out coupon thing that you could mail and get Nien Nunb or whatever his name is? LOL).

When the PT was announced I was probably one of the happiest people on earth, sure it had been a long time since the last one but I spent much of my youth wishing for another SW movie. I liked TPM alot and thought that it was the film that needed to be done to re-introduce the world to a new younger audience and set up the PT. Then came AOTC, I knew most of the plot from the old 2SA spoiler days and while I liked it, it certainly disappointed me. ROTS was a better film although it was very dark, I guess it had to be. The leaked pictures of Tarkin on the 3SA forums and all the fun of Hyperspace etc was fantastic.

And that brings us to today, I am very optimistic that with some fresh blood and ideas we'll get a cracking three films which will satisfy fans of both eras and bring in new fans. Of course it might just fall in a heap, regardless I'll be a SW fan for life.

Episode Swag likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is pretty close to my own experiences.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I've seen all 6 in the cinema , my Dad took me to ANH when I was 7 - I've seen every release on the big screen too , Special editions , clone wars animated & TPM 3D .

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm a PT era kid, I turned 18 a few months ago. Glad to be considered a legal 'adult'. But I was 5 when TPM came out, 8 when AOTC came out, and 11 when ROTS came out.

Anyways, assuming they go 3 years between each episode, I'll be 21, 24, and 27 for Episode VII, VIII, and IX respectively. And I will be just as excited as I was then, perhaps even more so.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Apologizes for the DP;

Trust me, we were just as excited as you guys seemed to have been for the originals. After AOTC came out, I saved up my entire birthday money, and some of my Christmas money to buy clone troopers, Jedis, and such. Trust me, the microseries and TCW had nothing on the Clone Wars battles I fought when I was 9 years old in 2003. My dad had a hyperspace account, so I pretty much stole it from him and vividly remember searching for ROTS news daily when I turned 10. That's also when I stumbled onto this forum, though I wasn't bright enough to use a keyboard at that age, thank god, I would have been kicked off this site pretty bloody quickly, because I would have been the guy who would have been made fun of for thinking there'd be an Episode VII. We never saw the flaws that irked so many OT fans, because we were too young to understand it. To us, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith were just as great. Now though, I do see many of the flaws that were in those movies, Attack of the Clones especially, but they still don't irk me; except Jar-Jar Binks. As I explained in another thread, we hated Jar-Jar Binks' very existence.

I have the feeling right now that many OT fans felt when they heard the PT was coming out. Jubilant with excitement at the prospect of more Star Wars.

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I’m from the Prequel Era. I was born in 1997, but I never really got into star wars till the clone wars show was up and running.
    That being said. The one think I’m afraid of is that 7, 8, and 9 will have no nods to the prequels or connections and make it only connect to the original trilogy. I don’t want the clone wars to be left out in the dust. And I don’t want them to completely undo the whole midichlorian concept does work for me. I don’t care if Han shot first, or if the “yub yub” song isn’t at the end of ROTJ. (Though I like the song, I find the Special Edition ending more satisfying.)
    But being in the PT Era also has the advantages of being able to have ALL 6 star wars movies and watch them as I wish. So that means I also don’t want the OT Era to be disturbed anymore either.
    The trouble is I must unlearn what I learned from the EU also, so many books, comics, short stories, which I must completely forget about. There’s the possibility of no Ben Skywalker or Jania Solo. What’s going to happen to the One Sith, Imperial Knights, Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, and stuff like that!
    I really don’t want to become a Sequel Trilogy hater, but I only guess time can tell.
    I personally am pumped for the new movies, so to quote Han Solo, Anakin, and lot of other Star Wars characters, “this is where the fun begins.”

Episode Swag likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You don't have to completely forget about the EU, just don't treat it as anything more than alternate reality stories or fancy published fan fiction. I care not for what parts of the movies or TCW contradicts the books, because I don't regard the books as being the definitive answer to what happened outside of the films.

While some of it is better than what was done in the movies, some of it is worse.

15. OmegaKhaos

OmegaKhaos Jedi Knight

Nov 16, 2012
    I was born in 1991.......1st time I ever saw a Star Wars movie was in 2002 on TV....also saw Episode II in theaters back then...so I guess i,m from Prequel era...

I love all 6 movies,but Revenge of The Sith will always have a special place in my heart...

I,m very excited about what storyline the sequel trilogy has....to me the plot is always the most important...

Episode Swag likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I've gotta say, I don't think I've ever felt as old as I have while reading this thread. :)

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    7 in '77. Saw the film 7 times that summer and in the first re-release in '78. My grandmother, who took my sister and me to see it the first time, raved about it and said "I loved that dog!" (meaning Chewie [face_laugh] ). Got my first Kenner figures Christmas of '78: 2 Stormtroopers and 1 of everything else available at the time. (I love my Mom. :p )

Episode Swag likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was born in December 1971; I saw "Star Wars" in the theater when I was 5 and have seen all the other films in the theater as well.

As a kid I wanted to be Princess Leia when I grew up. As an adolescent, I still wanted to be Leia and I added wanting to date Han Solo to the list of reasons why.

Being 25 when the SEs came out was damn exciting, seeing all the promotions geared towards those of us who "saw the movies on the big screen." And the prequels coming out was beyond exciting; I was ready to finally get the answer to the question I had asked since 1983, "What the hell happened to Anakin Skywalker?" I got started on the Internet fandom at around that time, first with Yahoo mailing lists and then discovered TF.N in 2000.

My favorite film will always be ROTJ but I like all the films except ROTS. As far as the EU, I read some post-ROTJ stuff in between films and could take or leave it; my favorite is the prequel and TCW era stuff.

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    For me it was a progression. I was born at the tail end of '79 so Star Wars was always a part of my life but never at the center of it. My cousin who I pretty much grew up with was a year older and had the movies on vhs and lots of toys, but I never did. I saw the first two SE's in the theater and rented them all on video a few times, caught the TPM fever in '99 and had a blast at the midnight premiere, but it was between Episodes I and II when I really started descending into the madness of utter fandom in which I still reside to this day.

Episode Swag likes this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm one of the VHS/TV OT kids. I wasn't born when any of the OT came out but my parents made sure I watched it from a young age. ANH is actually the only movie either of my parents ever saw in the theater more than once, they saw it 4 times. My earliest memory of a movie is of ANH on USA with herringbone running through it. ;)

21. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    This is something that is impossible to understand unless you lived through it. It seemed like an eternity. It was beautiful and torturous at the same time.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I must have missed that post. Yes, it was really intense. I used to joke around about the spoiled kids who got to put in their ROTJ videos and get the resolution immediately.

23. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Im the biggest snob in the world when it comes to this. I dont care. I earned my stripes......

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Don't worry, I'm sure we'll go through that again with the ST ;)
    Except 3 years is not such a big time when you're past 20s.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I assumed Vader was lying. I remember most kids being afraid of Vader--I wasn't afraid of him, I just hated him. And I assumed that because he was already an ass, lying to Luke about such an emotionally sensitive issue, fit in with his being an ass. And the (alleged) lie made me hate him more. I did have a "WTF was that?" moment with the telepathy at the end of ESB, but I didn't really believe Vader was telling the truth until I saw ROTJ.

Yeah, three long ****ing years.

Episode Swag likes this.