main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Genesis] For Rachel

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Rev, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Author: Rev
    Title: For Rachel
    Summary: "For Rachel" is a set of three dialogs of the patriarch Jacob with Leah, Rachel, and Laban, respectively, taking place on the morning following the consummation of his union with Leah, as found in Genesis 29:25-27. This short story is a companion piece to two sonnets also regarding the love of Jacob and Rachel, which I will post as well.

Jacob and Leah

The rays of dawn's first light pierced Jacob's still weary eyes. Their blinding glare struck the forefront of his mind like a heavy hammer. In his ears the quiet stillness of the Aram morning pounded at his head with a dim but persistent roar.

Laban was not generally known for his liberality, but the previous evening, the final of the weeklong wedding feast, he had proven uncharacteristically generous in his distribution of the choice wine. It had not been Jacob's intent to consume as much as he had; for the seven years since he had first met Rachel his thoughts had often drifted to the hopes he held for the consummation of their love. Now though, despite all of his efforts, he could recall nothing of the previous night after retiring to his tent. The idea that such a memory might be forever lost to him brought overwhelming shame and sadness upon Jacob.

He wondered what reaction Rachel would have to learning this; would she meet him with chastisement or disappointment? Or had she too shared in Jacob's drunkenness?

Though she still slept, Jacob now reached over to his bride, eager to behold that shy, familiar smile which he knew would excise from his mind any ailment or transgression. Her back was to him, and as he watched her for just a moment the normally lush waves of her hair seemed flat and lacking their usual vibrancy; they were mere brown this morning instead of the familiar spectrum of auburn, chestnut, and coffee that so often crowned his beloved.

He put his arm around her chest, rousing her from slumber, and as her face turned torwards his, lo! it was Leah. A look of panic in her dull and feeble eyes met his shocked stare, and for a moment neither spoke. There was fear and trembling in her voice as she finally asked, "Are you angry with me?"

How could he not be? In fact was he was furious, not merely at her but with her father Laban as well. After all, it was immediately obvious the he had perpetrated this unforeseen deception. Yet for all his rage, Jacob could say naught but ask, ?Where is the wife who was promised to me; where is your sister Rachel??

Leah felt the contempt he had for her with every syllable he pronounced. Jacob had never shown her the same affection that he had for Rachel, but now for the first time there was utter loathing in his voice.

"Father forbade her from entering your dwellings last night, forcing me to go instead. Though I have long in secret longed for you, it pleased me not to do this despicable deed, for I knew that you love Rachel and her only. Yet Father insisted, and I at last consented, being too weak of will to resist his temptations of my own hidden desires, at least not with so much wine in me. Forgive me this frailty and try to love me as you do Rachel, if not in your inward disposition then at least in your outward actions, that by showing love towards me you might one day come to feel it in your heart."

"I did not learn to love Rachel, but from the initial instant of our introduction was immediately infatuated, being effortlessly and inescapably enamored by her. Had I never known her I might have indeed be able to settle for a life of quite happiness with you, ignorant of my every true desire which manifests in her alone. Yet from the moment of our meeting I have counted all lesser joys a loss compared to the prospect of bliss besides my beloved and would prefer a lifetime of loneliness and solitude with the mere memory of her than marriage to any other."

"Am I so repulsive to you, so hideous and disgusting in your eyes, that you would prefer to die alone and childless than to endure my companionship??

?It is not th

2. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Jacob and Rachel

Exiting his tent at last, Jacob found Rachel already awake and awaiting him outside. By her mournful countenance it was clear that she had been weeping in distress throughout the night, though no tears now remained.

Yet even through so sorrowful a visage her beauty emenated effortlessly. Her skin so soft and fair belied the arduous hours under the sun she'd spent beside him tending her father's flocks. Every drape and fold of her garb, though modest, accentuated her ample curves and slender shape. But unquestionably the chief source of her loveliness resided in her shy smile and bright brown eyes which so readily reciprocated his love through every fleeting glance. Each time he saw her anew he became smitten again as if for the first time.

Jacob longed to kiss her, to embrace her in his arms and by silent strokes show his love to her through gentle touch in ways which words could never relate as fully. Yet if through no transgression on Jacob's part Laban nevertheless had found cause to keep Rachel separated from him, how much more so would even the slightest infraction on her innocence, however innocent itself, offer Laban the pretext with which to justify dissolving even their aquaintence with one another. Thus Jacob in righteousness resolved to remain in his restraint, not forfeiting his fortitude out of frustration from Laban's false dealings.

What could Jacob tell her of his love that she did not already know, or show her or his devotion that she had not already seen? Thus brief was Jacob's exhortation to Rachel.

?Seven years I waited for your hand, and seven years I'd work yet if need be, and more. Though many suitors have sought you since, ever their advances have you rejected. I ask only that you continue in such chastity for as long as we must wait to be with one another, and to endure in the hope that such a day to us shall come. For as far off as that hour now seems, know that I will expend every effort to persuade your parents our passions to permit.?

?Then tarry not with me when my father's tent is so near by, wherein lies the resolution of our longings. For whence victoriously you emerge, then can we at last profess in public those private passions which we unwed now whisper.?

Encouraged thus, and emboldened, Jacob stole one final glace at Rachel, bathing in her beauty, before finally continuing forth.

© Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.

3. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Jacob and Laban

As Jacob stood outside the threshold of Laban's tent he contemplated how much larger and more lavishly constructed this new dwelling was in comparison to the meager abode his uncle had inhabited when Jacob had first sojourned to Haran, exiled from Canaan by the murderous breathings of his brother Esau. Laban had prospered greatly due to Jacob's presence, and during Jacob's years of service had come to hold his nephew in high regard because of it, or so it had seemed until this morning. Perhaps that was the reason Jacob now felt this treachery far out shadowed that of his estranged brother. He and Esau had always been rivals at odd with one another, not so much in competition for their father Isaac's affections, but rather due to the zeal Jacob had for the Lord in contrast to the worldly ways of his brother. Yet Jacob had seen in Laban a piousness not unlike his own, if but a little lesser in wisdom and fervor. Why would one who likewise sought the path of righteousness sin in so obtuse a manner?

Without announcing himself, Jacob entered the tent and found Laban waiting in expectation for him. Jacob's anger bellowed forth with boldness as he demanded explanation from his transgressor. ?What is this wicked deed you have done against me? Did I not in faithfulness uphold the agreement established between you and I, laboriously serving you for seven lonely years for the promise of your young daughter Rachel? Why then have you repaid me with such burden and unfairness, forcing to me be with unloved Leah??

Having anticipated Jacob's reaction, Laban was prepared for this verbal onslaught and coolly replied, ?My intent had from the beginning been to reward your every effort with the wages that I promised you, that you should wed Rachel in accordance with your desire. But in that time Leah has had few suitors, and none suitable at that. But throughout those years she grew increasingly fond of you. Thus when seven years had passed and I was indebted to you a daughter to be your bride, it was only proper that I should substitute Leah for Rachel; for it is the custom here in Paddan Aram that a younger daughter ought not to be given in marriage before one older, and neither I nor the many men of this land that attended your nuptial celebration would suffer this tradition to be broken.?

?What power do the whims of strangers have over you or me, Laban? What just authority is in tradition, that you would violate your sacred vow in order to preserve an arbitrary norm? Does this social standard weigh more heavily with you than the true Law? For despite your protests about good intent, your very actions render you previous promises as naught but lies.?

?What is this law to which you appeal, Jacob? Are we vassals of Hammurabi in Chaldea, bound to that Code in granite carved? Nay, we are free men, free from any law but that which we make for ourselves. Nor are we governed any longer by any law which proceeds from God; for only once had the Lord bound a man to any decree, that being that our progenitor Adam should not partake of that fruit which imparts the discernment of good from evil. But having broken that command, by his own knowledge can man now decide for himself what is good and evil, and thus it is that God has left man to his own devices, to make by his own reason and wisdom laws which are useful for procuring a more orderly existence.

?What difference, therefore, is there between the customs of a culture and the laws of a land? There is none, Jacob. Both are merely the collective will of a people, over and against which the individual ought not to impose his own preferences or desires. If the many judge it fitting that an elder sister should wed before one younger, what place is it of yours to stand in opposition? Or if tomorrow the people were to come to an agreement that a virgin should not be courted or betrothed until she has reached a certain age, despite already being fertile and capable of childbearing, what right would you have to act contrary to their wishes? For no

4. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Jacob's Petition to Rachel

By that shy smile so in silence say
    To me with grazing gaze and glancing eyes
    Words which would with voice our hearts betray
    For others our desires would surmise

So I in steadfast solitude shall stay
    Still anxiously awaiting (just as you?ve)
    In eager expectation of that day
    Our patience pays; permit our passions prove

Unless, perchance, your parents I persuade
    An arbitrary accident of age
    Proves no reason sound love to forbade
    And we more soon in courtship may engage

Have hope that happy hour hurries here
    And know I fervent fight to draw it near

5. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Jacob's Petition to Laban

I beheld, when I first came to Haran
    Your daughter Rachel, whom, though ravishing,
    By years not ravaged yet; whom, though barren,
    Bearing beauty bountifully. I bring

But praise and laud for loveliness so rare
    As her virgin visage. I venerate
    Her countenance and count without compare
    Those bright brown eyes which love reciprocate.

For seven years I?ve labored lonely. Long
    Days quickly passed while working for the hand
    She would have pledged to me, till you did wrong
    And bound love to the customs of your land.

Years yet shall I wait if you require,
    But pray more soon you permit our desire.

6. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    The title "For Rachel" is a double entendre. Obstinately, it refers to the dialogs in the story as being Jacob's final labors for Rachel, whereby he finally wins her hand in marriage after seven long years. But the piece was also written literally for Rachel, a girl I was pursuing at the time, whose shared name with the Biblical figure inspired the sonnets and prose found about.

The story is largely autobiographical; the first part, Jacob and Leah, is a defense of why I chose to break off my engagement to a woman I realized I was not in love with. The remaining two sections are my response to the various individuals who argued against my being with Rachel, including her parents. The question at the end was essentially directed at them, which is why I chose to leave the ending ambiguous and unresolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.