main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Genetic Engineering in the Star Wars Universe?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ladylaurel18, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    I'm attempting to get a handle on canon's tech level. I'm pretty sure that genetic engineering/non-mechanical bio enhancement is taboo, but I don't remember any books or anything actually telling us outright about it. Maybe the Yuuzhan Vong stuff mentioned it?

So, I'm curious as to whether anyone know the general opinion on biotech, and if its taboo, why it is taboo, and exactly how taboo is it?

I hope that made some sense. I'm trying to put together a story that actually has a science fiction slant to it, and not just space opera.

As an interesting side observation, it seems that there are no actual scientists in SW, just engineers.

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I started to answer and then realized that I was confusing the Star Trek genetic engineering taboo (where it's outlawed because of the thing that resulted in Khan's existense or something like that) with SW. That's kind of embarassing, really. As for genetic engineering here... the closest thing I could find was the articles on cloning at the Wook, and the part of the TTT where the IDEA of Thrawn having access to Sparti Cylindars was terrifying due to historical significance related to the Clone Wars. Specter of the Past touches on that a little, too, I think. Someone out there check me, okay?

Clone Stormtroopers: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_stormtrooper

Genetisist: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Geneticist

Cloning: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cloning

3. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    So, going through all that as completely as I could, I have decided... that canon doesn't make any sense.

Not that I didn't know that already. But still.

So in the SW universe, you can take a Jedi, clone them, genetically modify the clone, and no one will flip as long as you are doing it for the government in power. But there is no mention, anywhere, of people genetically engineering their children, augmenting themselves, or anything? Really? Star wars is obsessed with cloning, but doesn't worry about all the consequences and what not of that technology?

Y'know, Anakin coulda had an arm cloned for him instead of wearing that iffy prosthetic. Clone a couple of lungs, and suddenly he doesn't need that rebreather or a hyperbaric pressure chamber.

Makes me think I need to ignore canon for the most part and see if I can't make up something that makes sense. The Kaminoans apparently had the tech to clone an army before the clone wars, but no one ever asked them to, or something else nonsensical.

Or am I overreacting?

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    But there is no mention, anywhere, of people genetically engineering their children, augmenting themselves, or anything?
    I'm sure it would happen but I would think it would be terribly expensive. I completely understand where you are coming from though, you would think it would make sense to clone all kinds of things, but I guess then people would pretty much be invisible which would take all the fun out of it.

I would think it would be taboo to clone entire people since it doesn't happen all that often and those who are cloned seem to be bad guys. ;)

That is probably the best idea, cannon usually doesn't help much in this kind of situation; there's too many people writing cannon to make it of much use. :p

5. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    My guess is that whatever Bacta couldn't fix, was too expensive to bother with. IIRC, there was an Imperial character that had a grudge against Vader because he wanted a of all things a nose job, but Vader though the Empire ponying up the dough was frivolous... I'm guessing that for some insane reason bio tampering of any kind was an expensive specialty.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Personally, I'm all for genetic engineering and biotechnology. However, like alcohol, it should be used in moderation. The Yuuzhan Vong used it to the point of becoming ridiculous. Living creatures as bowls? What, stone wasn't organic enough? Friggin' eating utensils have to be alive? If you're devising ways to make your cotton underwear into a bioengineered creature, then worrying about whether or not such technology will be accepted is the least of your worries.

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Given the Yuuzhan Vong and the clone armies of the Republic, there's definitely no taboo on genetic engineering and other forms of biotechnology. In fact, I came up with this little gem last year, and it seems to work.

8. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    There is a mention of the planet Vjun where the people genetically augmented themselves to have a high midichlorian count and as a consequence were driven into insanity. Of course the clonetroopers are engineered to be more obedient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.