main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Genetic Short Straw

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SWBob, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    What is it that would cause Corran to not have telekenisis. It cant be a lower number of midichlorians because that would lower his overall powers. One thing we know is that it is genetic because it follows his family. Also why is it that we have not seen any others with this restriction. And has it been discussed in a hyperspace artical or something.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The way his brain works perhaps or perhaps some special restriction about the nature of his DNA.

"It's magic" after all.

Plus, Corran Horn gets a bonus with absorb-disappate energy in recompense for losing telekinesis.

3. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Plus he's damn good at Mind Trick.

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    My money is on some sort of genetic blind spot in the brain. It definitely runs in the family independent of environment.

5. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    I figured it came from the Corellian Jedi's freedom to marry. If you start combining Force Sensative genes, wierd things might start to happen. This is doubly true if some of these marriages are a little too close together (look at any "old money" aristocrat family tree, and you start seeing some awfully connected lines. The Hapsburgs, in particular, come to mind). Perhaps somewhere in the distant past a Halcyon married a Halcyon or some such, and they lost thier ability to TK.

Which raises the question: If one of Corran's kids was to marry a hypothetical child of Kyp Durron (or Kyp himself, if the way he conducted himself around Jaina is any indication of his age preferences), who has shown remarkable talent in TK, would the ability come back?

6. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think it is kind of interesting. We are starting to see more of these "Specialized Jedi". Cighil seems to be a better healer than even Luke Skywalker, but we know Luke Skywalker could levitate her 1000 feet in the air and beat the hell out of her in lightsaber combat. The Consulars in KoToR seem to have abilities of seeing the future that Lucien doesn't, but Lucien could probably take them on in a 2 against one fight. We also have Mace Windu.....who seems to be the only one with the "Shatterpoint" gift, Nomi skilled in battle meditation...etc. At this point I would have to say it is the will of the force as to how it chooses to manifest itself in certain people.

Carnage

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's the same reason that not every Jedi can do Battle Meditation and that it's incredibly rare: the Force has a sense of humor.

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Maybe we've just been spoiled with tales of UBER Jedi...normal Jedi aren't nearly so potent in multiple skills.

*snicker*

9. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    cynicism aside, I think this is probably the correct answer. the Solowalkers are exceptional, and cannot be used as a model of "regular" Jedi skills. Any offspring of Anakin is going to be potent almost every area, while other Jedi have strengths and weaknesses, that vary. The Horn clan just happens to be weak in telekinesis, but, as pointed out, they have other strengths.

The Solowalkers are portrayed as UBER-Jedi, because they are the offspring of the Chosen One, we would expect them to be very potent. I do wish that Kyp wasn't portrayed as such though.

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    And Obi-wan
    And Qui Gon
    And Qel Droma
    And And And

I submitted the theory as a way to explain away Corran...but when stacked against the more normal notion of fully effective Jedi, it's hard to hold weight. I'm sure that is the explanation given somewhere when they did that to Corran. "Give him a flaw so he isn't like Luke!"

real world reason...we don't need a bunch of other Luke's running around...see Kyle Katarn for any more justification.

11. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Maybe he has some sort of force learning disability.

If cilgal was a competant doctor she would give him a bunch of genetic and nuerological test in order to figure out was wrong with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.