main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Genetic testing (for ancestry, medical, etc.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hebrew isn't observable at the genetic level, Leonard.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nonsense. I know when I sequence genomes, I write everything out as combinations of Gimel Aleph Taw and Kaph.

But seriously, while there is no haplogroup that would specifically tell you you had Jewish ancestry, there are other genetic markers and abnormalities that are found pretty much exclusively in Ashkenazi Jewish populations. So that is one thing they can tell you in any of the ancestral tests.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm scared as to what evil would become from the use of my superior DNA.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm with Ender, on the illness side I'd rather not know. Besides, all I have to do is look at the struggles my Dad and his sister are having with dementia to have a good idea where things are heading....

Who the hell are you people?! Get out of my phone!

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's interesting, because I had this convo with a friend a while back, along with the guy we know who works at 23andMe. My friend said he wasn't sure he'd want to know if for instance he had a gene for early Alzheimer's. And I can understand that perspective.

But for me I would much rather know. If I were going to have a high probability of dying or winding up unable to care for myself, I'd live my life quite differently. I wouldn't be near so worried about saving money, for instance.

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If anyone wants to send me $200, I can test if you're genetically susceptible to scams.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Just what I always wanted!

What's your address, Punk?

Darth Punk likes this.
  8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I am interested.

I already know most of my ancestry so it'd be confirmation and maybe some cool new facts.

I'm actually most interested in EDS variants because of my dysautonomia. The geneticists here have no idea what they're doing, I figured the test would give me some idea. Until I found out they don't give you the raw data or any EDS variant data in the Canadian reports. I'm not sure about what the Canadian version gives you, even. I never did get that answer...only what it didn't give me.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Also, I will be cloning Cor's. Who wants one?

Coruscant and Admiral Volshe like this.
  10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I would like to find out some of the ancestry on my mother's side. We do have a good clue about it, well back to the early 19th century. It's just that my mother, and her father, are so dark. When my mother is out travelling she's been taken for native in southern Italy, Brazil, Thailand, North Africa and one occasion as an aboriginal Australian. My mother has always said it's because she's decending from the Walloon immigration to Sweden in the 17th century, but as far as I now Walloons aren't exactly known for being dark. When looking at a documentary recently about Roma in Sweden it got me thinking though that my mother would have fit perfectly into the Roma families. It would be interesting to find out if there might have been a love affair some time between a Roma and somebody on my mother's side of the family. Still genetics can be a bit tricky, my mother and her sister are very much alike in features, but my aunt is a redhead with porcelain white skin, and me and my sisters are all blond and pale despite our dark mother.

11. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I must say I've always wanted to do this myself. Both for ancestry confirmation as well as health knowledge due to not knowing half of my parentage. But the price tag….way too steep for me. [face_sigh]

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It is expensive. Hence why it's something I could only do by getting it as a Christmas present. I definitely would not have spent my own $200 on it, but hey that's what gifts are for. Even if they're really weird gifts.

Anne, that's very interesting. So your mother's father also has a dark complexion? Were there Roma coming to Sweden around the time the Walloons did?

Well that really sucks. I'm assuming it has something to do with the Canadian version of the FDA not allowing such direct to consumer testing or something... One of the benefits of it getting FDA approval in the US is that, in spite of $200 being a lot of money, it's still less than it would cost to actually have such complete testing done through a traditional doctor's order.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It sounds like Multiplicity.

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Same for me.

I then did this other DNA test for the mitochondrial/Y-chromosome/haplogroup stuff, here:
    https://www.familytreedna.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/my/dashboard

That was interesting, especially the migration maps. I think it was my haplogroup on my matrilineal side started in Mongolia some 10,000 years ago, migrated to Mesopotamia around 2,000 years ago, and then settled in Scandinavia, then invaded France as Vikings. That last bit was already a family rumor though, my mother's mother is French-Canadian and the Viking ancestry was something that was already talked about but no one knew for sure if it was true.

And on my patrilineal haplogroup side, apparently they were the original Indo-Europeans, that orginated in Central Asia before splitting with half of them invading India as the Aryans, and the other half settling in Eastern Europe (and on my father's side in Poland). And I already knew my father's side was mostly Polish, so that made sense too, but it's cool to learn that the Indo-Europeans I learned about in history were my ancestors.

Ancestry.com was cheaper but it showed more than just my matrilineal side or patrilineal side, yet it was somewhat broad with some of its designations.

It confirmed the "Western European" part, and Irish, and Eastern European. But it also said I was about 15% Portuguese or Spanish, and that was a surprise. Also ~1% Jewish, which I began to suspect anyways looking into my family's history in Poland, with my great-grandfather apparently being a democratic activist around 1900 when the Czar of Russia controlled Poland. His immigration papers have him immigrating to the United States around 1909, but before that his vote registration for the first Duma identified him and his father as Jewish (or at least people with very similar names from the same town), which I also found on ancestry.com.

So that's my experience with them. No experience with 23 and me, but I might look into it for the health stuff.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    On the ancestry side, the results would most likely be rather boring. My Mom is from Northern Germany (Bremen) my Dad from the south (Stuttgart). Maybe an Italian or Slavic slipped in there somewhere on my Dad's side. It's certainly possible that someone way back on my Mom's side is Dutch or Scandinavian.

But look at me: if there's a drop of African blood in me, then we need to throw out everything we think we know about genetics and start over again.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Too late to edit my other post, but to show the difference between those sites, rather than just tell:

Ancestry.com (general overview of all you ancestry, but rather broad categories, and mostly just your immediate ancestry)

[​IMG]

Family Tree DNA (which doesn't do a general overview, but does show migration maps going back tens of thousands of years for your matrilineal side and patrilineal side):

matrilineal (mitochondrial... my mother's mother's mother's etc. One map is mine, one is my father's)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

patrilineal (y chromosome, my father's father's father's)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what 23 and Me results look like.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I enjoy doing the DNA kits with my dogs. I'm most curious to see if sj turns out to be part schnauzer.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  18. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I did 23andMe. My neanderthal DNA was a little on the high end.
    But my medical profile was outstanding, no disease markers so it's up to me to destroy my liver if I'm so inclined

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    [quote="solojones, post: 53167477, member: 274457"Anne, that's very interesting. So your mother's father also has a dark complexion? Were there Roma coming to Sweden around the time the Walloons did? [/quote]

Yes, my maternal grandfather had black hair and a dark complexion, but not quite as dark as my mother. The joke has always been that she stole all the pigments for a couple of generations from the rest of us. As for the Roma, well the first Roma came to Sweden in the early 16th century and then there was a second larger wave in the middle of the 19th century, while the Walloons arrived during a limited period in the middle of the 17th century.

20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd like to do it for medical purposes. For example, I would consider a mastectomy if I found out I had a high risk for developing breast cancer.

21. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    That's the main reason I'd consider doing this. One of my aunts and my grandma carried a particular gene that my sister and I have a 50% chance of carrying, so it's been recommended that we get tested to see if we carry it and blah blah blah. But it's so insanely expensive through a doctor while $200 is manageable.