main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Genetics behind Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by madrad11, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madrad11

madrad11 Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2016
    Hello all,
    Just for fun, could the phenomenon "seduction by the dark side of the force" be scientifically explained by a simple X-linked autosomal recessive mutation?
    Here’s how:
    Shmi Skywalker (Anakin Skywalker’s mother) was a carrier (not clinically manifest). Presumably, Her husband did not have the mutation.
    Anakin Skywalker (Darth Vader) received the mutant X chromosome from her, and got seduced by the dark side.
    Luke Skywalker, Anakin’s son, was normal because his X chromosome came from his normal mother, Padmé, who was normal.
    Leia: Anakin passed his mutant X chromosome to Leia Organa (Princess Leia), thus making her an asymptomatic carrier.
    Kylo Ren: Leia in turn passed the mutated X chromosome to her son, Kylo Ren (Ben), who got seduced by the dark side (Han Solo is normal and does not have the mutation).
    Rey: According to the popular theory, Rey, our new hero, is probably Luke’s daughter, and she is obviously not affected because she is a female, and most likely not a carrier, unless her mother somehow was a carrier (in which case she would have a 50% chance of being a carrier).

[​IMG]
    Thoughts?

Dark Jedi 227 and Darth Dreadwar like this.
  2. Dark Jedi 227

Dark Jedi 227 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think an autosomal recessive mutation can only manifest when both parents are carriers. When both parents are carriers they can produce 4 possible offspring:
    X-normal/X-normal = no mutation
    X-mutated/X-normal = no mutation (carrier)
    X-normal/X-mutated = no mutation (carrier)
    X-mutated/X-mutated = mutation manifest

In the case of Anakin, Shmi was likely the Mother and the Father. If Shmi was a carrier, combining the codes from two of her zygotes into a single organism could indeed produce the mutation. In the case of Kylo Ren, your chart would need to be amended to show Han Solo as a carrier.

3. Dark Jedi 227

Dec 24, 2015
    There are a lot things wrong with the "Star Wars" universe, though, when considering it from a biological perspective. The most obvious of which is, they have the technology to create giant hordes of Clones with altered growth rates, yet the much simpler process of ending/reversing the aging process in the existing population isn't even considered.

Perhaps it is some sort of corruption linked to thousands of years of Jedi Order rule, but it is hard to swallow the idea that affluent individuals throughout the Star Wars galaxy wouldn't opt to extend at minimum their own personal youthful life-spans.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Dark Jedi 227, please use the edit feature to avoid double posting.

5. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    My headcanon is it's the midichlorians' fault. I have long envisaged the midichlorians as Force parasites (hence the correlation between midichlorian and Force sensitivity; they are symptomatic, not a causal factor!), and we already see them giving rise to interesting dynamics in SkyeWalkers, e.g. some form of harmful resonance between Force sensitive clones and the originals caused by shared midichlorian signature or midichlorians 'never failing to protest' the use of memory wipes/mind control (suggesting Jedi mind tricks are a fairly dark power, as they should be IMO), or in the backstory of Vjun, in which injections of midichlorians caused everyone to go mad and kill each other rather than making them Force-sensitive.

This to me speaks of a sinister picture, in which midichlorians leech Force/life energy, and given that everyone even 'Force muggles' have thousands of them per cell, I suspect the entire galaxy is infected with them, and it is midichlorians which prevent or make difficult life extension/reversion, cloned organ, limb grafts etc (hence reliance on cybernetics), and so on.

6. madrad11

madrad11 Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2016
    @Dark Jedi 227:
    Men have only one X chromosome. So it takes only one faulty X chromosome (from his carrier mother) for it to manifest in a man. The other sex chromosome in a man is Y chromosome which he gets from the father. So in the case of Kylo Ren, he got is faulty X chromosome from Leia (carrier) and normal Y chromosome from Han.

Women have 2 copies of X chromosome. So X linked recessive trait would manifest in a woman only if both her X chromosomes are faulty. If one one of them is mutated, she would become a carrier (such as Shmi). If a carrier woman has a daughter with a normal man, the daughter would have a 50% chance of being a carrier. If the father in this case is also affected, then there is a 50% chance of this daughter being affected.

7. Dark Jedi 227

Dec 24, 2015
    Did I post the same message twice and you edited one of them out, or are you criticizing that I posted two separate posts on the same thread?

If it is the latter, I posted two separate posts intentionally. They both very clearly had different context, as one was a response to the previous post, and the other was a stand-alone statement relating to the title of the thread.

8. Dark Jedi 227

Dec 24, 2015

Men are not XY, they are XX just like their female counterparts. Male-producing Zygotes (aka sperm) are XY, but when they combine with the female XX Zygote (ovum) the XY/XX combination results in a male offspring. Basically the Y is just an X with a few missing strands, which are often "borrowed" from the XX reciprocally when the two zygotes combine. In other words, "males" could technically be defined as mutated females, and this "borrowing" of the missing strands is a huge contributor to genetic drift, preventing offspring from being cookie-cutter images of their parents. (Put even more simply, they only real function of the Y (other than triggering the chemical reaction that mutates the organism into a male) is to make male offspring approximately 50.001/49.999 slightly more like their mother while female offspring are roughly 50/50.

As far as an "X-linked autosomal recessive mutation", both parents have to be carriers for it to manifest in the male offspring:
    [​IMG]

9. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    It was the latter, and they both needed to be part of a single post. Double posting is considered spam and will be dealt with accordingly.

Edit: See you in 24.

10. madrad11

madrad11 Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2016
    @Dark Jedi 227:
    Men are XY and women are XX. You are right about the function of the Y chromosome though.
    And you are confusing autosomal recessive with X linked recessive. If it was any other chromosome, a recessive gene would only manifest if both the copies were faulty. but with X linked recessive, in men, only one copy needs to be faulty because they only have one copy of the X chromosome. Look up X linked recessive disorder on google.

In retrospect, I should have not used the word 'autosomal' in the original post - that would have avoided some confusion. How can I edit that post to remove the word autosomal?

11. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think a predisposition to the Dark Side is going to be something that's autosomal recessive. I believe it is a perfect storm, formed by environment and disposition. I think anyone is capable of it based on those two factors.

But despite the plausibility, that wouldn't explain how the Force seems to function in the films - how it's a potential for everyone. Perhaps it could be explained as a condition that is more of a trait versus an X-linked "condition"? Like blue eyes or blonde hair, multiple alleles and genes that play into how likely you are to A) be Force sensitive, and B) how likely you are to be enticed by the Dark Side or the Light Side.

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.