main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Genndy's 2-D Clone Wars Microseries - was it really that good?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Critic after critic of TCW has mentioned how superior Genndy's original Clone Wars microseries is to the new animated The Clone Wars theatrical release.

Am I the only one who thought it enjoyable, but not phenomenal? Although it was fun, I never wanted the over-the-top Genndy or The Force Unleashed style Force powers in the movies.

The dialogue was okay, but more or less at the usual level of Star Wars, and the plots were usually pretty straightforward, for obvious reasons.

2. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    I agree. I thought the Mace Windu stuff was way over the top! The new clone wars stuff is closer to the live action movies.

3. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    The 2-D series is so overrated it just boils my blood. Yeah, it was cool, but no where near the levels people consider it to be. There was no point to it other than to show Jedi acting like they were in The Matrix and being extreme. And, worst of all, there was no story. Nothing but fight scenes.

Vol.2 was much better, but even then the novel Labyrinth of Evil, which covered the same events, was so so much better than it.

4. OhNoChuck

OhNoChuck Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2008
    The fact that GT's series only looks amazing in retrospect when compared with this new movie should tell you more about the new movie than the old series.

5. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Well, the problem with that is, since the new movie actually had character development and great chemistry, not to mention a structured story (even if you don't like the story or thought it was too straight forward, it did have one) it only makes me hate Genndy's show even more.

6. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    So true! And I quit reading a review on AICN when one of their goons that the problem with the CW movie is that it's a bunch of stuff exploding and in the same article praise the GT series. I read a list on Entertainment Weekly (I think it was) a while back that listed their top 25 sci-fi movies/shows of the past 10 years and it listed the GT series and none of the prequel films. It really all just stems from the hip hatred of George.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I don't hate Genndy's show at all, I'm just not sure how he would have done with a 3-D, 30 minute length program.

8. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    How many times do I have to say it: critics hate Lucas. By praising the microseries they are essentially bashing Lucas, saying, see, if you didn't direct/write it we would like it.

And I agree with you on your review, GM. I've already forgotten the bulk of the microseries. I wasn't a fan of the animation style and I thought the stories felt stunted. If I wasn't so happy to have something SW to watch on TV back then I probably would be a little harsher now.

The only thing I really do remember enjoying was the Anakin stuff in the third season, where he has a vision in the cave, and becomes a God to those aliens. If only because it tied in nicely with Luke's cave visions on Dagobah and gave us the flip side of where they can lead.

9. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    As much as I loved the Tartakovsky Clone Wars back in the day, I'd rather they'd just 'ignore' it, though perhaps that's not the best wording. Take the events that happened and make them their own...re-adapt them, as it were.

At the time it was wonderful...we had Star Wars...the CLONE Wars...on television! It fed us between the movies, but in retrospect, they suffer from over-the-top force powers, limited ship selection (not that he had much to work with back then), IG droids on speeders taking out large artillery vehicles with lances and over-estimated troop numbers (hundreds of fighters and LAATs coming out of Acclimators).

It's a wonderful piece of Star Wars history and the series that laid the path for where we are now, but let's leave it where it is... in the past.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While action-heavy (a result more of the runtime restrictions than anything else), I think what makes the CWGT series so appealing to so many is that it had a level of artistry and storytelling to it that it could tell a story and develop characters to a degree by conveying it visually to overcome the runtime handicap limitations and making maximum use of the animated medium to do so.

Sure, you had crazy over the top action like Mace vs the droids, but then you also had those quick, silent moments like Anakin's hand against his cockpit window while looking at Padme with really just the music there. Moments like that are more evocative of the more enduring SW moments like the binary sunset, and convey more romantic emotion than any Anakin/Padme scenes in AOTC and most of ROTS.

Additional moments like updating jousting to a SW setting felt right at home with both updating swordfights to lightsabers, WW2 dogfights and fleet battles to starfighters and starships, sailed pirate ships with walking the plank to sail barges with walking the plank into a sarlacc pit and chariot races to pod races. So it tapped into that "old to new" vibe that's classic SW.

In short, I think CWGT managed to tap into the prequel disappointment felt by some fans, while providing something fun even for those who did like the PT.

11. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I enjoyed the GT cartoons. But, they were, as someone put it, too over the top. Some of the things just should not be possible, even in the SW galaxy. I didn't like that. I can't view that as part of the SW timeline really. I can with the 3D cartoons.

12. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I thought they were good for the time, and as sort of a side-series, not part of canon. It almost struck me as, they were told as if they were relayed through the news or through storytelling...which is almost always exaggerated. So everything would be bigger and impossible. Imagine being on a backwater world, having no connection with the Republic or Jedi, really, and hearing of them. They would seem like gods.

I watched Volume I a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it, and started Volume II but fell asleep (it was late, what can I say). It brings back that hyped-up feeling I got before SITH came out.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, if you check out the databank entry for Paxi Sylo, it's implied that the Micro-Series (or, at the very least, the Mace Windu chapters) are actually in-universe animated pirate transmissions on the holonet during the classic trilogy era made by him. So, they're essentially pro-Jedi propaganda as seen through the recollections of a starstruck boy on Dantooine.

14. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004
    Actually, if you check out the databank entry for Paxi Sylo, it's implied that the Micro-Series (or, at the very least, the Mace Windu chapters) are actually in-universe animated pirate transmissions on the holonet during the classic trilogy era made by him. So, they're essentially pro-Jedi propaganda as seen through the recollections of a starstruck boy on Dantooine.

Now that you say that, it sounds familiar. Thats so neat.

15. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I would say all of the Anakin/Padme romance stuff in ROTS was well conveyed. And the scene of him in the council looking out across to her apartment while she looked out across at the Temple where he was blows away the hand on the cockpit shot from the microseries.

16. Star_Guitar

Star_Guitar Jedi Knight

Dec 12, 2007
    Yeah, i really thought they were that good. I love the animation style and i loved the action. Sure some of it is over the top with the way Jedi use their powers but its another interpretation and spin on this universe and im fine with that.
    As far as character development goes - sheesh what are people expecting, the first batch ran for 3 minutes and there really isnt a lot you can do with character development in such a short space of time. The 2nd season was able to push further as they had less time restraints, all the Anakin stuff for example is pure gold imo.
    I watched them again recently and realized i love them just as much as when they first came out. Excellent stuff.

17. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    I loved the Genndy series, and recently tried watching them and I found that watching them in a row was actually kind of exhausting. Since they're so action-oriented, they were better enjoyed in 3-minute stints. At least for me, anyway.

Actually, if you check out the databank entry for Paxi Sylo, it's implied that the Micro-Series (or, at the very least, the Mace Windu chapters) are actually in-universe animated pirate transmissions

Hehe... that was actually my doing. :)

ph

18. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004
    Well then you're a genius. :*

19. Darkseid-Lives

Darkseid-Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2008
    Hi, Troll!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pablo & Paxi- a great team!

21. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I liked the micro-series but it was not the "end all, be all" for me. It was an interesting hyper-stylized take on the SW universe. I enjoyed the first season better than the second, which seemed to take itself a little too seriously imo for being a cartoon.

22. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It was good, but I think that the new series will be better.

23. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    The five minute episodes were way better than the one minute episodes. Overall, the microseries wasn't bad, but I don't understand why anybody would like them as much as or better than the movies.

There wasn't much of a story to them--just battle after battle after battle. And the battles were hit or miss, with me. I liked the clone troopers a lot, but I didn't care for the jedi action.

24. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I liked the microseries better--I feel like it did a better job of telling a story visually than the CW movie did. With "episodes" that lasted 3 minutes, they had to put a lot of effort into conveying things just with animation style, perspective, and use of the score (which was entirely recycled, I believe, but put to good use in places like the Anakin/Padmé "goodbye" scene). Many of the mini-episodes had disappointing "explosion after explosion" formats (I hestitate to call them "plots"), but others did not. The 5-minute versions were noticeably better in that regard. Supercharged Jedi didn't bother me. It was cartoon physics in a cartoon world.

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I personally loved the 2D Clone Wars. I even watched the Asajj vs Anakin duel today just before watching the CGI movie. I loved the style, the colours were vibrant. When it first debuted it gave me something to look foward to once a week, even though it was only 15 minutes.

Compared to the CGI, I still like the microseries better. Hopefully when the show starts airing i'll be able to eat my words.

I loved the storylines too, it showed a variety of characters. I love the way Genndy goes action, it could be completely silent or choked full of noise, it has a great effect. I think I'm the only person who actually enjoyed the "force whopping". People say it's over the top, too much, or unbelievable, but it's Star Wars. I loved the fast paced action, and the fact that Mace Windu could kick the crap out of a batallion of droids with just punching, kicking and the force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.