main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gennedy Tartakovsky will not be involved- Confirmed

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ROTS_Obi1, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    When asked if CLONE WARS' Gennedy Tartakovsky would be involved, he said "No. He's head of The Orphanage now. He's doing DARK CRYSTAL 2.

Kinda sad, Clone Wars ruled, but then again I didn't expect him to be back anways.

2. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    I didn't expect him to be back either.

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Nor did I.

4. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    I sure didn't expect him back. I do fully respect the work he did on Clone Wars. I think his work kept the excitement level for RotS up and told a damn good story in its own right. Tatakovsky did a fine service to the fans and to the brand name of Star Wars.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Well this isn't too much of a surprise. Didn't Lucas say that for the new series he was going for a more Japanese-Anime type of style? I know he didn't say the words anime, but he implied it by saying how he admired that style, kind of like the Animatrix.

6. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    Figures. Tartakovsky prefers traditional animation (hand drawn/cel) and since the new show is 3-D...I never thought he'd be a part of it. It's sad though I personally prefer traditional animation and am not really looking forward to the new show because of this.

7. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    Yes, but Clone Wars was also a bit of anime.

8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    So the new show is still gonna be CG right?

9. DARTHJOSEPH

May 11, 2005
    It appears to be.

10. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes as stated above the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series is going to be 3D Animated. It has been said that the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series will have an Asian Anime look to it so I'm expecting it to look something like the Final Fantasy movies.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Not that I don't believe you, but what is the source of this quote?

12. ROTS_Obi1

Mar 16, 2005
    It was what he said at Wondercon.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22452

13. hyouriittai

hyouriittai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    I hope you're right. Though I'm fairly sure Lucas wouldn't utilize the same studio, it'd be a dream come true considering the quality of work they put out at SQUARE.

14. DARTHJOSEPH

May 11, 2005
    I hate 3D animation, but...I'd prefer the more realistic approach that Square uses as opposed to some lame stylized look.

15. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    I also prefer the more realistic approach and I think Lucas Animation is going in that direction. We'll probably find out what the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series is going to look like at Steve Sansweet's presentation at Comic-Con 2006.

16. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    The traditional cel animation is my preference. The thing with CG is it looks good at first, but a year down the line you'll be thinking it was created on an atari 2600

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Geendy stuff was pretty good, I only hope that LucasAnimation can come up with very good toons that brings out the best in jedi action, space flet action as well as the ground stuff. Only time will tell[face_peace] .

I loved the fact that the two volumes, three seasons, for a total of a little over two hours, brought action, adventure, excitment, and whole sense of visual delight that I believe was missing from the star wars movies. Also, it was nice to see the cartoon win some industry awards. 3 Emmy's and 1 Annie award. Not bad if you ask me. Was succesful in the cartoon network and was liked by most fans.

18. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    For me this is very good news, I thought the Clone Wars were cool, but thats not my first choice of animation.

Sccrman95

19. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Totally disagree.

The Tartakovsky/Rudish 2D approach rocked my world. And yes, the character design did owe a great deal to anime. Look at Padme Amidala. Look at Yoda. Look at General Grievous, who made his debut in the shorts.

I wish they had gone the traditional animated direction. Like I said in another thread, there was enough SW CGI in the Prequel Trilogy to last me a lifetime, thank you very much. Look at The Animatrix. The strongest shorts were done with traditional methods. The weakest one, "Final Flight of the Osiris" was done in ultra-realistic Squaresoft style, and never got out of the "uncanny valley" for me. Not real enough, not cartoony enough. Just weird.

Actually, thinking of The Animatrix, a cool person Lucas should consider to direct the animated series is Peter Chung. Imagine an animated series that looks like Peter Chung's elongated, elegant world. Imagine Asajji Ventress in his hands. I think she was Aeon Flux influenced from the word go anyway, but she'd be awesome redesigned by Chung. Imagine what Darth Vader would look like! Awesome.

But of course, the die has been cast, the decisions have been made. CGI it is. Make me care, Lucas. Make me care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.