main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series George changes you like over EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheLucasAdvocate1992, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    I figure that since there's so much complaining about how much the TCW is steamrolling over the EU, that there must be at least some bit of George's vision that people prefer over the EU. I'll give an example, the old vs. new backstory of General Grievous. I'll be perfectly blunt and say that I prefer George's version. True the EU one is more 'complex' than George's and it is pretty barebones in terms of background, but I like George's version because of its simplicity. Grevous is now a straight up black and black villain, something that I think is a bit of a rarity now-in-days.

So feel free to speak up if there are any George Lucas changes you prefer or are going to prefer in an upcoming episode.

2. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    I like a lot of it.

I like the changes to the Mandalorians, I think their culture as described in the Legacy of the Force series seemed ridiculous and they felt like a pet project. I feel their new culture is more reasonable as a planetary society and fundamentally more workable. Yes, I know you can flange things to get it to the EU stuff, but I like it this way.

I like the introduction of Satine as Obi-Wan's lost love.

I like that it was the same Greedo in TPM's deleted scene and in ANH.

And I hope that TCW will show a definite fate and death for Ventress, because a great villain deserves and on-screen death.

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    That's not really a change to the EU. It's just an addition to the story.

Oh yes. I think I'll prefer whatever new death GL comes up with for Ventress over her EU cop-out fake death.

4. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    To me there's an implication that the stories of his other lost love have been superseded by the Satine character - otherwise Obi-Wan is just a bit of a strumpet, really.

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    To me, one tale doesn't override the other.

6. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Personally, I liked that quite a bit of these things have reasonable room to allow coexistence with previous material. :p

But yeah, I didn't really mind some of the changes. What I liked was that the pacifist Mandalorians kept up a royal guard that invoked traditions of gallantry and discipline, according to the Character Encyclopedia. The use of the word gallantry alone won points for me. [face_laugh]

I liked that Plo Koon can breath in space...but wait, that's not really a matter of changes to the EU either. XD

Surprisingly, I don't mind Jabba having a son. I know that as a Hutt, he's meant to be all-out corrupt and merciless, but I like the idea of Rotta because it allows Jabba to develop a few other traits and have a bit more dimension as a character. After all, Jabba was known to have at least ONE friend in Ephant Mon, and at the very least, even if he doesn't mean it, he uses a more casual, almost familiar way of speaking with his smugglers (Han, my boy, why'd you have to fry poor Greedo? :().

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Mandalore is know million times more interesting (except local teaculture that was sooo boring [face_frustrated] ) old version was warmongering badasses in the forest....(I don't care) now there is warmongering badasses and pyromaniac pacifist duchesses on the same cubeworld - which nature is destroyed by war- still i would like to see some retcons being made- like Kalevala (which is said in EU to be toxic desert) should be retconned to be that forest mandalore- since Mandalore itself has become that toxic desert- that would create nice story- but Death Watch was interesting addition

Anakin's knighting date makes sense with ep3 now- Obi-Wan says "It won't take long before council makes you a master" it don't make sense with old EU in which anakin was padawan nearly whole war....

Grievous- i like his voice and appearance much better in ROTS and TCW -than in the old CW-cartoon

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

This and this. There hasn't been a whole ton "changed" in the EU that's really an issue... I still say Mandalore, Ryloth, and even Greedo can be retconned, and they were nothing super-major to begin with. What they did with General Grievous isn't even an issue (heck, they even made his Kaleesh self look like he does in the EU -- if that design was from the EU to begin with). IMM, I think it's great George is referencing the EU at all, and to see really minor things like Maridun show up exactly how it appears in the comics is really amazing.

So are there changes to the EU I like? In a sense -- if by "change" you mean additions. I always welcome expansions to the Star Wars universe.

9. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    The new Grievous has no back story at all. Why does he hate Jedi? Why does he work for the Sith? It makes little sense that a creature takes most of his biological parts away from him (including all the pleasant stuff!) just to become a better warrior. He really seems to be yet another bounty hunter on Tyranus' payroll, especially when he delivers lines 'I don't care about your Republic, I don't care about policy, I just want to kill more Jedi!'

No one can convince me that anyone would do what Grievous did to himself just to be able to somewhat compensate the fact that he is not force-sensitive. This is even more pathetic than the old Grievous. And I actually don't think that 'Lair of Grievous' changed the old back story.

10. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I for one could never get into the Mandalorians as they were presented in the EU before TCW; particularly the Traviss renditions, they just seemed so...eurgh. Boring. Dull. Two-dimensional. The TCW/Lucas interpretations are so much more fascinating as a culture.

Not sure if it's a change per se, or just an addition, but I actually enjoyed the TCW rendition of Boba Fett; although his episodes had their weak moments, the overall concept of the character as portrayed in the show is far more believable than what we got in those novels (I mean really, Boba fighting Windu to a stalemate in the Chancellor's Office at the age of 13? Jeez.).

A big like for me, controversial though it may be, is the Trade Federation and their 'neutrality' - though I'm sure many would argue to the opposite, but to me that makes more sense than most of the galaxy's major corporations announcing 'Oh, btw, we're at war with you now' over night. They're businessmen, they're not fighting for a cause; they're fighting for profit. It makes sense for them to try and play both sides and reap the benefits.

The upcoming changes to Ventress' backstory and the Nightsisters looks to be interesting too, though I'll reserve judgement for now of course.

11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Anakin being a Knight at the start of the war, instead of the end is a change that I liked.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I actually quite like what they did with General Grievous? origin. It makes him seem more demented and tragic.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    What are you talking about i don't think official Grievous backstory is changed to be like that- Eu-story tells how Count Dooku created a shuttle accident and Geonosians build a lifesupportsuit to him.... that's still canon- just the fact Grievous wanted to be a jedi is added - that's the motivation for him to continue life as cyborg....

What are you talking about who changed backstory- i think Ventress was the one whose story is changed Grievous is still Kaleesh warrior who was in shuutleaccident- arranged by Sidious and Dooku... or is that really changed?

Well i read an article about that- i don't really like George's backstory but i think combination of those stories is best- i always though that Grievous line "I chose them" meant he chose being a cyborg rather than die -

I meant that i like Grievous voice and appearance better in TCW than in old CW... but i prefer combination of Lucas and eu-backstories...

14. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Not a single change. If George Lucas had never made the show, and never alter the EU, I'd have been happier about it. Alas, you can't always get what you want, but this is certainly not something that I need. :D

15. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    I hate the EU, thus I like every single change.
    :p

16. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    What I heard about GL's 'new back story' of Grievous (the old one told in LOE comes from him, too) is that he just wanted to be a Jedi, could not be one, and then decided that he would become a robot to kill all the Jedi. That doesn't make much sense to me. No sentient being would replace his complete body with robot parts just to become stronger. Not without the necessity to do so. And the necessity has to be considerable (i.e. life threatening situations).

The Grievous monument chambers in 'Lair of Grievous' indicate a gradual transformation from Kalee warrior to Cyborg Monster. One sculpture of him has just artificial Grievous-like arms.

You still can somewhat reconcile that with the old story, and I really like the Grievous' answer to the Doctor's question:

'I submit to no one. I choose them [the changes]'

In fact, he did. San Hill suggested the changes, and Grievous accepted his suggestion. The decision was his. But, of course, it was either that or death.

So Grievous biography looks now something like that:

- Young Kalee dreaming of being a Jedi but unable to become one.
    - Jedi interfere in the Huk war on side of the Huk. Grievous starts hating Jedi.
    - The ICB employs Grievous after the war. He is either severely wounded by Jedi during the war or while working for the ICB. Some body parts are replaced by mechanical parts.
    - San Hill and Tyranus arrange the shuttle accident. Grievous becomes Grievous.

I can live with that. But the original story is really good in my mind. It makes Grievous a powerful pawn. A plaything of the Sith which becomes powerful in their service. But it has to pay with his 'humanity', and is not even completely aware of this fact. That does not make him weak as a fighter. He still is everything the Sith want him to be, and he fulfills his purpose. But there is an interesting character, or, to be more precise, there are the remnants of an interesting within this robot.

Grievous just being an evil guy who wanted power so badly to make himself a robot is completely stupid. It makes me think of a boxer who asks a mad scientist to turn him into an ape just to become stronger.

The new Mandolore I really like. They make much more sense as a technological advanced and highly civilized culture than as weird warrior nomads or farmers.

17. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    The new Grievous has no back story at all. Why does he hate Jedi? Why does he work for the Sith? It makes little sense that a creature takes most of his biological parts away from him (including all the pleasant stuff!) just to become a better warrior. He really seems to be yet another bounty hunter on Tyranus' payroll, especially when he delivers lines 'I don't care about your Republic, I don't care about policy, I just want to kill more Jedi!'

Grievous was a warrior and he wanted everyone to know that he was the ultimate warrior. But he could never obtain that status since the Jedi would always be better than him due to their powers - which he could never have. So Grievous made improvements to his body to enhance his abilities and give him skills beyond those of ordinary beings. I think you have to see that as something that happened gradually. He got some cybernetics and liked it and so went on adding a bit more, and a bit more, until he ended up how he is now. You could say that he possibly went to far but he would not acknowledge that - as in Grievous intrigue.

Other people may not take such drasitc action in changing their body but Grievous is different psychologically. His status as a warrior is what matters to him and is body is just another weapon in his arsenal. As such he needs to hone it and improve it to make it as good as can be. It doesn't matter to him what he loses in the process as long as it gets him closer to his goal. Of course, becoming a cyborg has meant that he has lost important parts of his character but because he is so single minded he cannot see that.

So when the Clone Wars started, Grievous joined the CIS side because it was too good a chance to pass up ? commanding an army in a galaxy wide war. He also had the chance to face Jedi in personal combat and if the CIS won then the Order would be destroyed or at least suppressed. Grievous would have the status he desired as the galaxy?s top warrior. So he does not care about politics or why the war was being fought, he was wanted to use it as an opportunity for personal glory. He can do that by waging war on those warriors that are ?better? than him. The more Jedi he kills, the more glory he achieves and the more his choice to augment himself is validated.

Grievous has some of the same traits as Anakin ? ie Anakin wanted to become the most poweful Jedi so that he could control everything and would eventually stop at nothing to obtain the power he wanted. In the end it led to him becoming twisted and evil. Similarly Grievous wanted more power and more glory and did what he had to do, including mutilating his own body. In the end he became a single-minded machine-thing set merely on the hollow pursuit of glory.

Elements of both backstories can work though ? ie Grievous could have been injured and that?s when he had his first robot parts added, then he went on to get more when he realised he could become an even greater warrior that way. I think it works best as something that happened gradually ? each new improvement fed his arrogance and pride a little more and spurred him on to do even more until he ended up unrecognisable.

Grievous just being an evil guy who wanted power so badly to make himself a robot is completely stupid. It makes me think of a boxer who asks a mad scientist to turn him into an ape just to become stronger.

This is actually a good analogy. Just think of athletes who end up doing anything to win and have the whole world acknowledge that they?re the greatest. They end up taking drugs to cheat and if there was the possibility of using surgery to improve their bodies then there would probably be some who would do it, no matter what the cost. It doesn?t make sense for a normal person to do things like that, but it does for those who only have a single purpose and their whole character is twisted to serve that purpose.

18. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm totally biased about this stuff between the movies and the EU. So long as outcomes become better then I will no problem.
    I'm still waiting for George to redo Kit's death......and the other Jedi...........

However, I find it very ignorant of Lucas to go change the EU where other creators put their time and effort in.

Grievous's old story wasn't complex at all. Not an opinion. He was shot in a shuttle unknowing that it was Dooku. He was rebuilt and fought for the Seps cuz his old life is over and he wanted to kill as many Jedi as he could since they sided the Huk.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I still prefer the KOTOR 2 Mandalorians above any other interpretation, but I also liked the Mandalore Trilogy take on the more civilized side of the nation. Until the Season 3 Corruption Duology completely wrecked all that.

20. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Overall GL's versions are just as good, sometimes better, and "feel" more like the movies than their EU counterparts. I esp. like his take on the Toydarians.

However, if he turns Mandalore entirely into a planet of hopeless wimps, he'll lose me. Last season had a great take on it -- 50% old & 50% new. This season, it's like a whining convention: "Oh my! There's a war! Whatever will we do? Corruption! No! Say it isn't so!"

21. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Most if not all(give me some time to think) of the changes I enjoy and like much better.

To be honest I really can't think of much that I didn't approve. I loved, repeat loved the Mandalorian changed after Treviss destroyed them. One of the worst things to happen to the EU recently, she was awful ugh.

22. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    For every good, there must be an evil.
    For every evil, there must be a good.

:D

23. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I notice now how my view of the EU is quite unique- i never take Star Wars seriously it's just fun- when you take "fun" too seriously it's not fun anymore.... I judge EU and then decide if it's part of my SW or not.... all films are part of my SW- all books are not- i read Cloak of Deception- that was nicely working with films- it's part of my SW:)
    ... then i read Children of the jedi... it was disgusting- that's not part of my SW at all....
    ...Emperor's clone stories from Dark Empire-comics... well i don't like idea of Emperor's spirit returning- it makes no sense with the movies- sith cannot live after death[face_thinking] .... but idea of Palpatine cloning himself is good..... so i would accept if stories will be remade with palpy's clones being not Sidious himself -but just mad clones... well i dunno
    .... That's too hard to decide so i simply stop my SW-timeline after Thrawn trilogy- it's part of my SW- it has errors but happenings are canon to me- everything after that is not part of my SW- Yuuzhan Vong, Legacy-era etc. yuck[face_sick]
    TFU is great addition to SW-timeline along with TCW and upcoming series- i also consider old cw to be canon- only problem in it with this new series is eta-2 fighters during Anakin's knighting- everything else is working (voices of characters are bad in old CW though... i would prefer re-dubbed Grievous)
    as long as EU makes sense with official Lucas-products i accept it- but sometimes it maybe too foolish to accept even if it's logic....

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yes and No. Yes because it's an addition. But it also could be seen as replacing the romance he sort of had with fellow jedi Siri Tachi.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Changes to Grievous's backstory are minimal at best, with almost every detail of Grievous's prior history still existing within the literature attached to The Clone Wars series like the Visual Dictionary and Episode Guide.

A new Mandalorian tribe? Yeah, I'm not to happy with that but its a fix that probably doesn't even require a huge retcon. Mandalore the planet, thats more problematic but a retcon should be able to iron it out in a realistic manner.

A certain EU born character becoming a crossmutating, gender changing doppelganger of sorts, well my fear of that likely isn't based in continuity.

The bottomline is if you want to be forgiving of everything and pretend nothing has been changed by TCW thats very doable. It's not reality, but that part of the attitude thats needed to make this show work.

But just imgine if you lived in small town America and then woke up one day and found out you now lived in New York, yet you hadn't moved, you would certainly be asking what the heck happened........

And what of Taria Damsin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.