main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series George changes you like over EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheLucasAdvocate1992, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    It's great that you have this free approach to the material.

Fact is I could never do it :p I'm not the 'pick what you like, leave what you don't' type of person... I'd feel as if I were tricking myself. For me, there is either George canon or the whole Lucasfilm canon - I choose the former: films and TCW. This is why I'm always quite happy when the Creator decides to add something or give his own backgrounds, even if it goes against the EU. It expands my official canon :)

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    We should be thankful that Lucas gave possibility to other writers to expand his universe... we wouldn't have such a big fan site in the internet if Star Wars would've been just 3 films in 1970s and 80s- EU kept SW alive to 90s and then PT brought new fans (including me) but waiting for next TCW episode- it's so great that TFU2 will be released here tomorrow... so i can enjoy some SW in this weekend too[face_laugh] ... i hope TFU2 is SW-worthy- it got pretty bad reviews... but so did PT... and i like it:)....

3. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Sure, you can work out fixes and workarounds to keep everything working together, but i think there's a strong implication that GL intends this to override the other stories, and that's how I choose to see it, YMMV.

4. Gratulor

Gratulor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2008
    Aurra Sing, big time. I found her story and character dull before the Clone Wars, particularly her Jedi past which seemed to me out of place.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We shall see.

I still maintain Lucas isn't out to attack the EU or anything. Filoni's comments at CV strongly suggested that, at any rate. If he contradicts little things, so what. He does that to his own movies whenever he makes a new Special Edition.

6. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Well, I liked Aurra as a failed Jedi Padawan. Retaining that for TCW would have had two advantages:

1. Introduced to us the concept that there are Padawans who fail. That would have been especially interesting as we are following a Ahsoka Tano, a Jedi in training, during the series. Seeing Ahsoka fear she might become a second Aurra would have been interesting.

2. It would have made Aurra a real danger, not just a female version of Cad Bane - who is no real danger to the more powerful masters of the Jedi Order. One might argue that Aurra as force-sensitive would have been a second Ventress, but a Gunslinger Aurra really is just a female bounty hunter of the Bane type. And a force-sensitive bounty hunter is different from a Sith initiate. I doubt that people would have been confused by Asajj/Aurra.

Here is the problem. A Grievous who hated the Jedi is not likely to accept a former Jedi as his Lord and Master, nor would he consider to accept him as his fighting instructor. But we learn in 'ARC Troopers' that the new Grievous was instructed in lightsaber combat by Darth Tyranus - just as was the old Grievous. Also, Grievous' whole shape seems to be designed to enable him to challenge Jedi. The whole four arm thing, and the fact that he is more or less immune to blaster shots indicate that. He has nothing to fear in battle. Nothing but a lightsaber.
    But as Grievous is only known to become a Jedi slayer during the Clone Wars, it seems strange he would prepare himself to be able to kill Jedi before the war started.

7. TheFiffis

TheFiffis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2010
    I actually really like the idea of the new Mandalorians. It feels more "real". I suppose since it's from Lucas.

Aurra Sing. Like the changes there. Kind of felt that the whole ex-Padawan thing was...eh.

Boba Fett. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than those youth novels set in the Clone Wars.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am not of the opinion there have been any irrevocable 'changes' - just additions. Aurra's background has not been discarded, just not raised; Mandalore elements make more sense with Galidraan to hand; Grievous' elements are very minor; Ryloth has not been explicitly ignored, and all of our arcs could have taken part in the twilight band etc.

*shrugs*

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I love what they did with Aurra. They managed to change her character without steamrolling her backstory in the slightest. I always hated her character in the comics, but she is my favorite villain in TCW.

And while I in no way disregard his previous backstory, nor fo I endorse the changing of any backstories, I have to say I like Lucas' backstory for
    Grievous more than the EU one. The idea of him choosing the mechanical parts because of jealusy makes him seem like even more of a monster. Besides, the other backstory made him seem like another Darth Vader.

10. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    But wasn't that the whole point of Grievous in ROTS?

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    yes it was- i don't think this "new backstory" makes sense at all- not even with TCW- if Grievous really want to be a cyborg monster- why he don't want to be upgraded then8-} ... i don't get it why everyone working for the Star Wars products want to destroy the SW nowadays- i juts played TFU2... ending sucked.... something i don't want to describe here... Vader captured:oops: -excellent- TFU2 just created bigger continuity problem than TCW ever- i don't care anymore if Grievous is a Kaleesh or Omix Patra... or robot build out of washing machine parts...
    but if they continue to screw up the canon by capturing everyone before their movie appearance without telling how they were released... or creating major characters between episodes without telling their destinies (Juno, Kota... even starkiller as a clone all were left alive in the light side ending... is it non-canon then?)- i fear that clone wars will not tell ahsoka's destiny either they just stop making it -without a reason- like they stopped making good video games:_| ....
    Live action series is better to be released soon or i cannot say i'm fan anymore- I feel like TCW and TFU have failed me now... well maybe TCW redeems itself with Ventress arc and Savage -but TFU3 is not been made -so that's it- they finished their bestselling franchise... they don't like money in Lucasarts anymore it seems [face_worried]

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Well, my continuity-obsessed side outweighs the side of me that likes the new backstory, so I guess it doesn't matter that much. :p

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    For almost everything where TCW contradicts the EU, I favor the EU. Some inconsistencies I don't take issue with, such as Malevolence's ion pulse being this weird disk....but when it comes to Grievous's new backstory or how Mandalore somehow becoming this paragon of a peaceful world, that I can't swallow.

What particularly annoys be is that there was absolutely no need to change the backstories for Grievous or Mandalore. Grievous's backstory didn't figure into Lair of Grievous at all, so basically GL screwed with the existing backstory for the hell of it. And Mandalore could easily have just been a different planet. Just give it a name change....Death Watch can still be written into the script somehow, just leave the existing canon alone.

14. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    No, the whole point of Grievous was to have a Cowardly Droid General to command the Separatist fleet over Coruscant.

15. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Which in turn makes sense if your a mastermind controlling both sides like the pawns that they are, and want the war to last a while and waste as much resources/manpower/money as possible, in order to eventually obtain power of the unlimited variety. Most likely as an emperor of a Space Empire of some sort. ;)

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    that has not much to do with Grievous backstory [face_tired] he is cowardly droid general who is jedikiller and cyborg- his cyborg suite foreshadow Anakin's fate but that's not only similarity:

GG happens to be "Supreme commander of the droid armies" a legendary and hated figure among civilians and feared everywhere- and he is known to be so full of hatred he destroys his own droids when they fail....

Vader is "Supreme commander of the Imperial fleet" a legendary and hated figure among civilians and feared everywhere- and he is known to be so full of hatred he kills his own officers when they fail.....

of course they have one very big difference- Vader is forcesensitive and him being cyborg reduces his powers- GG however wouldn't be so powerful if he would be fully organic... still i favor the idea that GG don't like to be a cyborg but he had to choose it to be able to revenge to jedi (Dooku claimed that jedi arranged that shuttleaccident)

Grievous is a monster- and Anakin is the hero- George wanted to show how hero turns to be a monster by showing how similar to Grievous Vader ultimately became- so yes GG's role in ROTS is to be foreshadowing of Anakin's fate- but he is also a separate character with different motives and background to be what he is.... got it?

But you're right Grievous is also one of the best pawns in Sidious' game- he needed someone able to resist the jedi- or war would've been too short and he needed war to change he republic to be his liking....

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Im glad that GL amde all the changes, I could care less about the EU being all that up there. Thats why I love the new clone wars animated series and the Force Unleashed video games. They are fresh and feel real. Some of the EU stuff feels a just a bit hokey

18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I never thought I'd hear about TFU feeling real:p I mean they created a Gary Stu who owns both Vader and Palpatine in combat, while making him almost solely responsible for launching the rebellion.

If something is a little hokey, that is it.:p

See the thing is that character like Quinlan Vos or Asajj Ventress are not George Lucas's creations, despite his ownership. I'd simply rather have had George and company pretend that the EU didn't exist over the strip mining that has basically taken place.

Give me fresh ideas, give me fresh stories, give me fresh characters. Just don't take existing EU characters/ideas and change everything about them just because you can. They are trying to have it both ways and its not working at all on that level.

Give me more Ziro's, more Cad Bane's, more Embo's, more Sinube's, those characters really work for me because they are original, they don't have baggage.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Asajj is actually George's creation- she was supposed to be "Juno Eclipse" a female sith lord in AOTC and next apprentice of Sidious- but we know how Dooku took over and Ventress was created for EU (and her old name lives in TFU:p )

About TFU I agree with Vong333- it feels real and is great- EU has more Gary Stus and Mary Sues than Starkiller is ever- he is like embodied force yes- bit overkill but it's because TFU is game- but SK is also absolutely boring character (He loves Juno that seems to be his "personality") and Darth Vader's pawn- and he was not solely responsible of rebellion- rebellion already was there -he just had to encourage it to act and ally against the empire.... TFU2 however seriously need ending that would tie it up with ANH- since it had horrible plot compared to it's predecessor....

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^ Was Asajj actually created by Lucas? I was fairly certain she had been the partial creation of several different people, but none of them Lucas. Same thing with Durge. I may be wrong though.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well there were many creators- straight from wookieepedia: "The design for Asajj Ventress comes from early Attack of the Clones brainstorming sketches by Dermot Power for the design of Palpatine's apprentice that would later become Dooku. The concept art can be seen in The Art of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. However, the character itself was created specifically for the Clone Wars multimedia project. Note that the concept art was later converted into comic content of the character in Star Wars: Republic: The New Face of War.

Leland Chee suggested to use "Asajj" as the first name for Ventress, naming her after the character Asaji from Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.[31] She originally was to be named Juno Eclipse, but that name was changed as the name didn't sound "villainy enough"."

So it is unclear whether or not Lucas partially created her or was Dermot Power responsible alone:p - i think Lucas asked "what about a female sith- sort of sith witch" and Power decided to do pale and bald woman with skirt and 2 sabers- but her backstory was not made by Lucas- but i think idea of female sith baddie was his and design is not made for EU- she's has been pretty similar from the beginning.....

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Name 1 EU character thats defeated Vader?

Name 1 EU character thats defeated Palaptine?

Starkiller is the one. It doesn't seem to me that rest of the EU has anything on him. We can make excuses about it being in a game(that they put into a novel and comic almost verbatim).

The EU has these types of characters as well, but when you punk the main villians of the enitre Saga.

I haven't paid any attention to TFU 2, but it wouldn't surprise me to discover that he owns Yoda or Luke in that one just to cement his spot on the power chart.

Now I'm not saying that the game isn't fun, but I am saying that game mechanics and the like don't translate well into the universe as a whole.

And Asajj is not Lucas's creation. He can do with her whatever he wants of course, its his party, but she was an idea born of others.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ^ Lucas told them to do that though, or at least gave them permission.

In some of the earlier drafts, they were nervous about touching Vader or Palps, and instead crafted a story about fighting a rival apprentice. Lucas said it was ok to use them so long as they weren't killed, and that the recognizable villains would help sell the game.

As TFU2: Despite some things that look bad on the surface, the general consensus amongst Vader nuts is that this is the most badass Vader has been in years. Not only as an unstoppable juggernaut , but also as a manipulator who outsmarts the hero at every turn.

About Ventress: If I remember correctly, that same concept art also inspired Kamari Vosa, Cassie and someone else...Aurra Sing...but she was TPM...nevermind.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Han Solo defeated Palpatine's clone by shooting him in the back... but he is not eu-character so let's say Empatojayos Brand who defeated palpatine's "spirit"..... that's stupid if you ask me

But i find nothing odd in Starkiller he just happens to be powerful- just like Palpatine, Maul or Dooku who were powerful even though they were not "chosen ones" and he was only able to defeat vader- that's because he was injured on Mustafar (being defeated there...) Palpatine gave up to manipulate starkiller- as starkiller said "It's a trick- he is stronger than you know..." So he didn't really defeat Emperor (even though Windu did- of course it could've been trick of palpatine as well) in TFU2 Starkiller fights only Vader and his own clones so we never know if he would've been able to defeat Yoda... he defeated Luke and Obi-wan in "Ultimate sith edition"- but it's non-canon anyway

25. ElanMars

ElanMars Jedi Master star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    the new clone wars animated series and the majority of the force unleashed games feel pretty hokey to me haha. the republic comic book series (which can be read in TPB form as the clone wars) feel more like the clone wars to me than the animated series. and anakin and obi wan weren't the only ones featured ad nauseam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.