main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series George changes you like over EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheLucasAdvocate1992, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Agreed. The Republic comics were fantastic. Some of my very favorite SW stuff.

2. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    Republic comics vs The Clone Wars

Comics showed us the tragedy of war, its toll on the Jedi, and on galactic citizens. The show has poisoned juice boxes, a contrived plot of bringing a gigantic snake monster to the capital of the Republic, and bounty hunters who need to steal a droid to find a way into the Senate building (a building which has been around for millennia has to have some form of public blueprint by now).

Comics showed a dark Anakin, struggling for approval from the Council and his Master, despite all his hard won victories throughout the war. Plus secret meetings with his wife who he never ever sees. Instead in the show we get dinner parties and public meetings, Amidala is always at the Temple taking assignments from the Council as if she were a Jedi herself.

The comics showed a Jedi order spread thin, with disenfranchised Jedi, rare trips to the completely fortified Temple, and constant assignments from the Council. Now we get Ahsoka who doesnt know the Chief Librarian of the Temple she was raised in and half the Council standing around trying to find a non-Force-sensitve bounty hunter within their own Temple.

I could feel more raw emotion in a comic book then I do from the sillyness of the show. Really, during a war why would Jar Jar save the day by juggling? Really? During a galaxy spanning war? Thats the face of the Republic?

3. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    QFT.

Now, I don't like to go too hard on the show. I enjoy it for what it is. It's a regular Lucas-powered SW fix, and I like that. I don't even have big expectations.

But unfortunately... why oh why do I miss Tartakovsky's CW? [face_worried] Those small vignettes captured something this show has been struggling to capture, and maybe hasn't captured at all, ever. The darkness, I think, the uncertainty, the weariness.

I don't know, I don't know.

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I know this thread is about the changes you LIKE over EU, but let me get my EU love out first:

Okay, I've seen all the films (in the theaters, yes I'm in my 30s) and after ROTJ, that was it for me. I didn't read EU. Then the prequels came out. After ROTS, that was it for me, again. However I didn't want to face the fact there was no more SW, so I turned to EU, mostly prequels and Clone Wars novels (not really comics). I have to say, I'd take EU over no SW at all.

The thing I think everyone is forgetting is "Lucas" licenses and approves all the EU anyway. Ok, not George himself, but departments at Lucas/etc. That's why certain topics are off limits, etc. So in a sense the EU is from George, however we all know the films override TV, TV overrides books and games and comics etc.

I too agree with the poster that said a lot of time goes into the EU by approved authors and to override their creations with secondary content is a big hypocrisy, not to mention some EU was so popular, it actually made it into the films. But anyway I digress.

So as you can tell I'm NOT happy with the Mandalorian changes. Mandalorians were the only warriors that could hold their own against the Sith and the Jedi through history. To make their world a big peace loving city that denounces war, majorly effects the continuity of SW itself.

Ok on to what I like! I don't know if these changes all exist in the EU or not, but I like what TCW did with them:

*The Hutts, I like them all in TCW. Even Zero. Jabba and his son.
    *All the bounty hunters. Sing, Bossk, etc.
    *Pirates are done better in TCW.
    *For the most part I like how TCW explores the "less popular" Jedi than the EU does. Excluding Barriss and Luminara, EU did it better.
    *Neimoidians are also better in TCW.

As for Mandos and the Clones themselves, the EU wins hands down. TCW should get more inspiration from the EU in this department and I think it might be happening. One of the TCW season 3 teasers showed the Republic Commandos. Now I know they came from the Lucas game Republic Commando, but hopefully they got a little EU input before the episode.

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Do TCW pirates wear hot pants? No? I didn't think so.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080528051136/starwars/images/c/c5/Crimson_jack.jpg]

Check and, yarrr, matey.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I understand the feelings towards the clone wars animated series, but unfortunately, I've tried reading the clone wars stuff from Dark Horse and things don't jive. I'm sorry, Anakin is not a whinny, idiot who was always being held back and kept the same hair do and uniform. And when you say ROTS he now sported a new look.

The clone wars animated series is not bad, its just that its following a pattern inorder to tell the over all arc. The problem is that some people that are staunch dark horse comic supporters, or hate the show, or hate GL, or hate anything affecting what they consider the true star wars EU(novels and comic books) will try anything to bash and bring the show down. And the show if anyone can forecast is really telling the overall story of what happened from the end of AOTC till well where are we, year 1.75 or soemthing like that.

No every epsiode can have clone war battles, nor can they be about politics. Maybe the subject matter is too intense for just regular kids who knows. I do know this, the animated series is little by little answering a lot of the questions I had about what truly occurred between Episode 2 and 3.

I'm not bashing Dark Horse comics becuase their was one storyline that I think was very good and that was of Valorum and that Jedi and how he wanted to expose the second sith lord that might be running the senate. That was the best story out of the entire run.

7. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    The reason why I don't pick Obession is becuase LOE was just way good and the clone wars animated season 3 of that micro series really tied in nicely to ROTS and gave the visual part of the tie in. Obseesion sotryline was off.

8. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    Grievous's original backstory was so much more interesting. It added depth and character to a character that is often seen lacking those qualities after his transformation. Now its been retconned to "I'm jealous of the jedi's fighting prowess so I want to upgrade myself." Seriously? Motivations like that are not something I would expect from a credible villian.

9. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010

Ha, you sir summed up my thoughts about that cartoon perfectly

10. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    QFT

The Republic comics were awesome.

11. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Some of you guys are being to hard on the show. Okay, Jar Jar juggling and saving the day....ridiculous. Durge from Dark Horse comics, living 2,000 years, waking up and wanting to kill all of Jango Fett clone becuase of mandalorian hertiage....horrible. Cad Bane from the series, very realistic and cool. His gadets are awesome and give the jedi a legitamte fight. Anakin in the comics......dismal. Very whiney, never got off from being a Padawan, got supposedly anooited jedi knight late in the game and then he what???? Nope. The cartoon series, coupled with the 5 clone war books really depicted the way I always envisoined Anakin. A General, training a padawan, and .....no given the rank of Master.

With what we have now, I can understand in ROTS why Palpatine converts Anakin. You kick but, you give your life for the jedi by doing the impossible, train a Padawan and do all the stuff that Masters do and you don't want to give him the rank and prestige? Yep, dark side it is. Of course then you add the fear of losing something you love beucase you just lost your mother and it the mix is complete.

12. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Look, everyone has their opionion, but lets face it. The first batch of clone wars stuff was not great. Lack of direction, not much information, and a lot of speculation. The LOE novel and the clone wars micro series were the ones that I really liked the most.

Now we move foreward, and so far, the clone wars movie, with 2 full seasons in the can and half of the third already in, and I like what I see. The story is rich, far reaching, and each episode adds more to the mythos, and the best part is that we already have season 4 in the can and their working on season 5.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Republic Commando, the Battlefront series, the Clone Wars Campaigns for galactic battlegrounds, say what you will about Lucasarts now, but these three game series highlighted some of the best aspects of the pre TCW clone wars.

I am wondering how you came to the conclusion that TCW has a better direction. How exactly? Does sporadically jumping around the timeline, spastic characterizations, and a seriously messed up airing schedule really seem like better direction?

Say what you will about the comics, but wangsty whiny Anakin from the comics is closer to the screen Annie than anything this show has churned out. Even the Microseries played up the angst.

And though I do like LOE, reading it after 2005 makes the first third of the book painful. I understand that Stover needed to establish everything, but that doesn't make it entertaining to read retrospectively. There are seriously parts near the start where a character will say one sentence, and then provide a page and a half of inner monologue to explain why he said it.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Republic commando is apparently about to be partially raised in G-canon due to Deltas appearing in TCWo_O Not bad that's a good game. as well as BF:S but 2002 game "The Clone Wars" however has simply horrifying plot- Dooku and forceharvester- jedi being tankpilots all the time- and voices -ugh[face_sick] never heard worse Obi-Wan imitation than that guy with speech disorder who pronounces S like he would be russian or something..... it's fun to blow up things with tanks and gunships but that game had bad plot.

Jumping around timeline wouldn't be bad if they would write stories better- now there is going to be a speederbike pursuit before senate murders- how exactly is Onaconda's murder unexpected - if he was just lately captured by bounty hunterso_O Todo's rebuilding and Aurra's escape were simply major plotholes and they tried to patch them up by adding mention to the episode guide[face_frustrated]

15. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    What do I like about George's changes?

1. He changed the Mandalorians. Before I saw this show I never was a big fan of them, they were kind of 'Meh.' The Mando-****ing that Traviss did was a big turn off (I haven't read her books, but the descriptions others gave about them was enough.) But I love how they are done here. They still look cool, but they aren't made into Mary-Sues.

2. I like how Ryloth doesn't seem to have a narrow band of 'habitability,' but the whole planet seems to be livable. Otherwise where do all those off-world Twi-leks come from? I could never find the 'narrow zone' believable for this reason, so I'm glad its changed.

3. I like how the movie species are being fleshed out more. It no longer appears that one trait defines most members of a species (like how most Rodians are supposed to be into bounty hunting because of what we see with Greedo.) There are plenty of peace-loving Rodians, and I thought that was good.

4. I like Ahsoka. I don't find her annoying at all, and I am glad to see a character that I can relate to. It's also neat that Anakin has a Padawan.

5. Cad Bane. Oh man is he SEXY. He just has that deep manly purr and that agile physique that make me get chills.

6. Savage Opress. Same reason as Cad Bane, though I haven't see him in action yet. But he looks like he'll be a gorgeous hunk that has that glow of luscious manhood. :D

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    ^^^^^^^Only two of your six things are actually changes, they are additions, which is different than a change.

Anyway to answer the original question of this thread. I don't like any of George's changes over the EU.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Other worlds. Most Twi'leks have never seen Rlyoth.

18. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    True, but whenever I see an article about any particular Twilek, they almost always list their planet as Ryloth, whereas with humans it's Coruscant or Mandalore or any other planet. ;)

19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah...that annoys me. The assumption that any member of a species besides human must come from the homeplanet.

20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    QFT.

So none.

21. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Um...you have seen Attack of the Clones, right? He pretty much whines his way through that entire movie.

22. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    My question is why do they even touch some EU stuff if they are going to retcon it. I mean the galaxy is so big why do they have to use another person's idea and change it. I am an EU fan but haven't read the EU in the clone wars period but I can see why some people are upset about certain changes. Although I think I can see how Mandolare still works even though it is recton because the war between death watch and other fractions ended with the peace loving statine taking power and Mandolare is inbetween their warrior classes right now. I didn't like the retcon of the Nightsisters not being human and the weapons they had, along with some power where stuff appears out of thin air, wut:oops: .

I get that this is George's universe but other people have helped make it great. The EU has added so much depth to characters that where not seen on film and added a variety of cultures. I think George owes the other people (even though they expanded on his work) some credit to not completely discredit what they told which made that idea popular. If it wasn't for the EU we wouldn't have nightsisters or mandolares and those two didn't become popular with fans because the stories sucked and the audience wanted a retcon of it.

All I'm asking is not to destroy someone else's work too badly that they worked hard on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.