main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

george just aint as hip as he used to be,hey it happens.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthAbdul-jabbar, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAbdul-jabbar

DarthAbdul-jabbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    lets face it people george lucas isnt in his thirtys anymore, hes not as hip as he once was.it happens to the greatest entertainers. .ive enjoyed ep one and two greatly but theyre subpar when contemplating their potential.first up im sorry but i think doug chang isnt that great, good but not great. hes had a hand in great stuff dont get me wrong(watto,pods,etc etc. but bullsh#t like the transforming droid slash spaceships are laughable when compared to the realness of the ot come on that crap belongs in a cartoon,whats more is why lucas allowed rubbish.when i look at alot of his scetches in the art of ep two book i say to myself man this is sh#t.i wish george still employed mcquarrie a big mistake in my book, i know i know george wanted a bit of a different look well ralph could have given him this,when i see chang in interviews he comes off as kind of a dork to me. he says he was somewhat influenced by star trek well i kind of think thats where he belongs.

second. as much as i loved the casting decisions six yrs ago now i question them,i know its hindsight but i think ultimatly natalie portman was the wrong choice,way wrong.this coming from one of her big fans. it hasnt been terible or anything but she just dosnt work anywhere near what someother maybe unknown could have supplyd i dont know somethings just wrong about it i see natalie not padme.she just dosnt fit,im happy with ep 2 anakin but he looks to NOW if you catch my drift.most other roles im fine with esp (obi wan)shmi, qui etc.

third a much debated topic...cgi, well as anakin sais overkill master'digital stormtroopers=dosnt make sense no matter how good alot of cgi works subconsiously your brain just cant buy it thats why when i watch the last part of aotc i just shake my head at what could have been.digital yoda, well the puppet is gone we now have one that can make more animated facial expressions can squint his eyes more has a tongue that moves is puppeted by robl coleman and not frank oz,i dont feel like getting to much into this so all ill simply say is sometimes less is more and george made another bad decision.

george penned a great story.but he hasnt directed one,if he would had handed the directorial rieghns off to other creative people i feel we would have all benefitted more for it,oh yeah and r2 ans 3po in my opinion shouldnt have been as central to the story of the main charachters as they are.

like 3po said in one of the most dissapointing few minutes in the history of the star wars franchise when lucas butcher'd the perfectness of one his greatest charachters in C3po in that lame lame droid factory...................."ITS A NIGHTMAAAAAAAAAAARE!!!

oh well i guess no ones perfect right,george.we all lose our zing at sometime,for all my disapointment ive still seen ep one and two over 30 times combined so this isnt some big trajedy im rambling about, i just held the star wars saga in higher regard once upon a time six yrs ago.

well at least john williams still is on top of his game thats what really truly matters most anyway.

2. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
  3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
  4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    OMG, you read my mind... I thought I had the first post too...

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Thanks for sharing

[face_plain]

6. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    yeah, coz if Lucas woz hip he would have made the Tusken slaughter into a ten minute slow motion massacre with a techo beat! it wud be awesome!

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    If by "hip" you mean The Matrix with its one trick pony special effect, or The Fellowship Of The Ring with its close-up herky-jerky can't tell what the hell is going on fight sequences, then I for one am glad Lucas is not hip!

8. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Kareem , may I call you so , Mr Jabbar ? After your great performance in Airplane I think you´re jealous of Mace Windu that he got the role in Loaded Weapon 1.

9. bassethound

bassethound Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    I kinda agree with you.

10. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    "yeah, coz if Lucas woz hip he would have made the Tusken slaughter into a ten minute slow motion massacre with a techo beat! it wud be awesome!"

that is so funny, and correct. it seems like all movies now have something like that in it and it's a load of crap.
    i like that movies and just about everything in general is being dumbed down, as a 29 year old, i wont have to worry about a lot of the younger generation being smart enough to take my job, outwit me, or be clever enough to pick up a chick i am checking out.

but seriously, if i can say one thing in defense of the orig. poster, i think gl is kind of afraid to take big risks.
    sure he did many new things in aotc and i love him for it, but he should go with it, dont let it make him nervous to keep going with what he showed us in aotc.

11. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    Durwood...

...THE MATRIX and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS are more creative, magical and imaginitive than Geiser George could ever attempt...

...tell me ONE thing that is as magical as 'the Gandalf-Moth' sequence or as CRUCIAL as the 'Cave Troll' sequence...

...it's funny because Lucas THINKS that the shots he uses to tell his stories are AWESOME and RIGHT ON...

...but didn't "LOTR" WIN Best Cinematography?

MY POINT: If you like Lucas -- more power to ya. If not, don't put credible filmmakers. Yes they have flaws...but NOT as much as Georgie-boy.

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    ...THE MATRIX and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS are more creative, magical and imaginitive than Geiser George could ever attempt...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Would you like a hot pocket?

Sir, Lord of the Rings is a fantasy. Of COURSE it has more magic than Star Wars. Star Wars is a sci-fi- NO magic- I'm sure if Lucas could get away with turning Yoda into a bullet time moth before Matrix and... well, LOTR came out like 40 years before Lucas was born so he really cannot help that.

And since when was The Matrix magical? Dont get me wrong, I love it, but it is a far cry from magic. LOTR IS magical because it was derived from the best fantasy book ever written.

Star Wars is just a sci-fi series, and I wish people would stop expecting perfection from Lucas.

13. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    [image=http://www.sanedraw.com/LEARN/OVERVIEW/OV010MAC/SHFTKEYS.GIF]

Use those [face_plain]

14. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "...tell me ONE thing that is as magical as 'the Gandalf-Moth' sequence or as CRUCIAL as the 'Cave Troll' sequence..."

Moth sequence? Did you ever even watch the movie? There was never any moth sequence, unless you mean when gandalf rides down on the Eagle, but how do you think that's a moth? And if the Cave Troll sequence is so 'CRUCIAL' how come it's not even in the book?

And as for the Matrix, it's a good movie, but it's nowhere near the quality of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

15. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Hold on, what was crucial about the cave troll sequence????

The Matrix and TLOTR are two completely different kinds of films, and are completely different in scope. I'm not sure how well GL would have handled either.

...actually, did anyone notice that the person who started this thread never once mentioned LOTR or The Matrix? In fact, he was saying that the PT isn't good or as hip as the OT, something I'd agree with

16. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    What do you mean, YodaJeff? Was you directing that at me?

17. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    THE MATRIX and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS are more creative, magical and imaginitive than Geiser George could ever attempt...

Just for future reference, it's...

The Fellowship of the RING.

Ring is not plural in Fellowship of the Ring. The plural exists in the name of the overall work:

The Lord of the RINGS.

18. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    MedalGoldKnight...

...yes, I watched the movie. Actually, I bought it soon after WAL-MART opened...and I am talking about the part where the music is heavy when Saruman and his army is being established and then the moth comes on frame.

THEN the music changes from 'dark and heavy' to 'serene and peaceful' as the moth flys up to Gandalf. I don't hate you -- but PLEASE DON'T talk to me like I am conjuring up an argument...

...by the way...what does LOL mean?

19. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    Moth sequence? Did you ever even watch the movie? There was never any moth sequence, unless you mean when gandalf rides down on the Eagle, but how do you think that's a moth?

In the movie version of The Fellowship of the Ring, Gandalf gets the eagle to come by earlier catching a moth flying by and telling the moth to go bring the eagle.

EDIT:

LOL = Laugh Out Loud

20. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    THEN the music changes from 'dark and heavy' to 'serene and peaceful' as the moth flys up to Gandalf. I don't hate you -- but PLEASE DON'T talk to me like I am conjuring up an argument...

Hey, it's all cool. I really loved this scene too- but I wouldn't say it's magical, however, REALLY nice directing by Jackson. I can see where you are coming from though.

Laugh out loud :p

21. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    KosmicKnine...you are right...thank you for the correction...

...and Pooja, I agree that THE MATRIX isn't really magical...I was intending that to be with LOTR...

...and another thing...

...the 'hot pocket' thing was pretty weak...be as rude as you want; I DON'T care...but if you write phrases like that, I only see it as a bad joke...

...be more clever in your insults in the future...or...just be a jerk and say somehting that's [remotely] funny.

22. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    I'd say that the scene of Gandalf catching the moth is magical, but no more magical than say the scene in AOTC of Obi-Wan hiding his starfighter on the side of the "asteroid" in the rings around Geonosis.

23. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    KosmicKnine...

...I'm sure you're cool...

...but I DO NOT agree [for a second] with your last post. I.E. That asteroid thing wasn't magical or creative.

24. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    "Star Wars is a sci-fi- NO magic"

Pooja, come on! Kidnapped princesses held in big fortresses by evil guy dressed in black. Young hero who inherits glowing sword from fallen father, and is taught by mystical old man in long robes with the power to move objects and control others, and speaks to you after he gets killed.

The OT is about as close to a old fashioned fantasy story as you can get. It has some of the trappings of science fiction (lasers and spaceships) but it has a heck of a lot more common with a million other sword and sorcery tales.

25. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    tell me ONE thing that is as magical as 'the Gandalf-Moth' sequence

The twin sunsets

or as CRUCIAL as the 'Cave Troll' sequence...

Uhmm, to name a few:

* "Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi"
    * R2-D2 saving all the major players when the Queen's ship goes through the TF blockade
    * "Your apprentice, Skywalker will be"
    * Anakin's confession

And the cave troll wasn't "CRUCIAL" at all; it was just a lot of eye candy (and incredibly CGI eye candy at that)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.