george just aint as hip as he used to be,hey it happens.

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by DarthAbdul-jabbar, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Did anyone in here see the bar scene in Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season?

I did. I didn't know Matt Damon knew how to use shotguns :p
  2. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Wow, I couldn't have summed up how I feel about AL's long winded, self gratifying but ultimately just as pendantic as he claims AOTC is post better than that.

"You like apples?

yeah.

I got her numbah, howz about dem apples!"

I wish I could post audio clips, as I would yell this quote in my best authentic Bahston accent.
  3. AL Chosen One

star 5

The_Abstract wrote:

"Nothing in Attack of the Clones is based on photographing actual human beings in their natural environments"

I would suppose your forgetting about the Meadow Picnic, the First Kiss, The Freighter, The Fireplace....

And how do you expect George Lucas to create things like Coruscant, Tipoca City, and Geonosis. They don't exist in real life. He can't just go to NY and film scenes there. It's a fantasy world. It's in a GFFA.

Most of the scenes that you mention which did use real sets lack any kind of beauty, either through design and construction, or through camerawork and lighting. This is topped by dialogue for the scenes, which are pedestrian at any level of filmmaking, let alone big budget Hollywood. Vacuous, antiphonal dialogue does not succeed in dreaming up a single interesting line. There's an occasional stab at humour amid the drowning portentousness, but nothing that would raise a smile, or even a smirk. Most of the supposed jokes come from hints at what is to come in the movie?s universe, and what has come before in ours. It is akin to watching a bad comic tell us about the one with the three-armed man: it is not funny. The love scenes that are enveloped by the sets you quote are so devoid of charm and energy that you beg for that imminent, perfunctory and ice-cold wipe to take you away to a decent whiz-bang but instead you are confronted by formulaic fights (people actually yawned during the rain duel) or yet more insipid dialogue, this time to explain convoluted yet essentially cartoon-like politics in a, get this, fantasy flick. These real sets do not instil a sense of joy or awe, they draw attention to the lacklustre cg locales and have the overall feeling of ?too little, too late.?

The overuse of the CG makes the new environments feel on screen exactly what they are on the drawing boards: millions of computer pixels. They have the wholesomeness of a TV dinner cooked in a microwave. Sure, it is a technological advance but not one that can substitute the real thing. There are so many places on Earth, which could have been these environments with few, subtle cg touches. Instead, these places are created fully in digital. The inspired use of the New Zealand locales for the LotR films was an obvious benchmark for Lucas, which he did not consider. Instead, he decided to borrow from lacklustre films such as Gladiator, A.I., The Perfect Storm, Chicken Run and The Fifth Element. We have seen these environments before and, in most cases, the first time we saw them, they were executed much better than they are now. Lucas is like a little kid shouting at his contemporaries, critics and fun: ?Ha, Ha! I have billions of dollars and the best affects house in the industry. I can simulate Mussolini taking a dump in complete CG and pass it on as film.? The CG locales have all the intensity of a Teletubbies episode.

"Lucas has never been much of a visual stylist (at least, not since the days of THX 1138), but the characteristic cleanliness and contrast of his compositions ? the brilliant, antiseptic white of the stormtroopers' uniforms, the lustrous blue-black of Darth Vader's helmet ? have been abandoned here in favour of meaningless clutter."

[/i]No, what he is doing is creating a contrast to the OT, by showing a much more stylized and complex universe. The Empire has done away with beauty and art in favor of form and function. And that's supposed to be a bad thing.[/i]

The problem is, what we see on screen in the PT is NOT beautiful. It is third rate art deco in places, in others it is the worst kind of sixties minimalist architecture and in the rest has a rudimentary kitch that would make the creators of Dinotopia blush. I understand the point of creating a different visual style between the lapses of time but again the overuse of CG and just plain, old, uninspired design leaves no sense of wonder in a potentially wholly engaging universe. The Less is More strategy of the Johnston/Macquarie designs have given wa
  4. Darth_Bendover Jedi Knight

star 1
    LUH-3417? Spot on buddy. He does have a rather public school boy gait to him doesn't he?

I had a friend at UNI like Al, and although he seemed to make good argument, he turned out to be a very lonely man. Patronisation of others did not induce people to take up discussion with him, rather the opposite.
  5. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I doubt my kids will serve your's anything. From the sounds of it you've never been outside of the house long enough to have been on a date, never mind engaged in coitus.

Al, we can all write a thesis on the symbolism in AOTC worthy of recognition at Oxford if we wanted to. Most of us do not want to. Some of us think you are talking to hear yourself talk. Most people equate that with a verbal form of mastur- well see above re: coitus and leaving the house.

To quote Qui Gon: "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent, now get out of here!"

EDIT spelling
  6. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    From the Episode 3 forum:

Have on simple teaser trailer that would play next Summer before X2 in May.

Black

20th Century Logo as we start hearing Vader's slow, evil breathing

Lucasfilm logo (brathing continued)

Utter Blackness and we hear footsteps as well as the breathing

Suddenly, Vader's lightsabre is ignited and through its crimson glow, we see Vader's visage.

Vader: We will be honoured if you would join us.

Red GLOW

TitleCard:

Star Wars Episode III
    Shooting This Summer
    In Cinemas 2003

I just love the Vader image...

At least AL still has enthusiasm for the last prequel :p

7. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    My Brit reference was tongue-in-cheek....sorry if it didn't come off that way. Next time I'll pound it over everyone's head by using a winky-face! ;) Seriously, all I know about the British is Monty Python :D and how we stomped them senseless a few hundred years ago! ;)

As far as me being a TYPICAL consumer-driven, isolationist, American...I don't even own a DVD player (Gasp!) and was a History major (actually medievel history) so, U.S. History is not my thing. I wonder, how many Americans have you met, other than the typical yuppie-tourist type?

Unlike my government, I relize there IS a world out there, that for the most part despises us for our suceeses, excesses, waste, and corporate power. I am just a citizen and hardly benefit from any of this. Regardless, we are THE world-power, essentially a global Empire, and we have been the most "democractic" and "fair" Empire in History, in my opinion. Just look at the British, for example! ;)
  8. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I also know what's happening out there... Afghanistan is still far from being a stable nation, floods are wreaking havoc on Europe like heck, and a bunch of horny toads in a US Army helicopter also wrought havoc on an Italian beach just to wave at female sunbathers.

So, it actually ticks me off when I would bring up a serious issue with one of my friends, and they're like..."huh?" But if I talk about those idiots the Osbournes or who got booted in "American Idol," their face will light up with eagerness. Truly sad.

EDIT: On the other hand, that Italian beach incident isn't a serious issue...but a humorous one ( :p )--that exemplifies that us Yankees like to get into trouble around the world
  9. AL Chosen One

star 5

Natalie Portman, a mere bud of dullness in Phantom Menace, has blossomed into a fully-formed flower of bad acting here and Christensen's armoury of facial expressions is not flamboyantly stocked either.

I quote this phrase a lot on the boards but it is originally from Peter Bradshaw (or Philip French?)'s review. Just to make sure that I give credit where credit is due.
  10. AL Chosen One

star 5

At least AL still has enthusiasm for the last prequel

Yes, I do as I am a life-long Star Wars geek. My disappointment with AOTC has no bearing on my expectations for Episode III.

And I love that BANNED fellow. Such succinct argument, such poetry...
  11. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    And that's a purely "American" phenomenon? Hardly. Dullards are everywhere, all races, creeds, and nations. It's just our media that helps to spawn them all over the globe. True intellgence would be to ignore the pop-culture crap and look at the real issues. Unfortunately, most folks, it seems don't want to look at the issues or truly debate what they feel is wrong with their/our culture or government. That's why there will likely be NO outcry in a few months when our government (uselessly) will decided to bomb the hell out of Iraq. Very sad.

Sorry for being off-topic. Anyway, GL has obviously lost it. Like Sick-Boy said in "Trainspotting"..."you get old and can't hack it anymore." 'Aint that the truth!
  12. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That's why there will likely be NO outcry in a few months when our government (uselessly) will decided to bomb the hell out of Iraq. Very sad.

Iraq deserves it. Saddam should be killed along with anyone who vehemently supports him.
  13. AL Chosen One

star 5

Can we stick to the topic at hand and move away from the jingoistic battle cries please?

==

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.
  14. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Iraq deserves it. Saddam should be killed along with anyone who vehemently supports him.

That would include U.S. officials who supported him against the Iranians back in the 1980's. ;)

Can we stick to the topic at hand and move away from the jingoistic battle cries please?

Why? Each comment is all the same: George Lucas did a bad job on the prequels so far and needs to move on to something else. YAWN...

So how 'bout that Milosevic fella? Giving the peepz at the tribunal in the Hague a bad time.
  15. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd rather we (Americans) strike Iraq before they, or the weapons they are developing, strike us. I really don't want the events of Sept. 11th to be repeated on a yearly or monthly basis. Just my opinion though.
  16. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That would include U.S. officials who supported him against the Iranians back in the 1980's.

No it doesn't because they don't currently support him.
  17. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

Okay, I'd say this has gone on long enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.