main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

george just aint as hip as he used to be,hey it happens.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthAbdul-jabbar, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Sorry I do not agree.

2. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    Stinrab or Sintrab or Sirntab...

...whoever you are...that fight WAS crazy with the 'cave troll.'

And the R2 saving the day through the blockade...that part was ridiculous...not to mention your other arguments [which had little to do with CRUCIALITY that the 'cave troll' sequence had]...jeez...

...you're not going to change my mind...but atleast you could raise some credible points.

3. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Christovsky, that fight was great, I agree but the cave troll looked hideous, and Legolas riding the creature looked far worse than Anakin riding the Reek in the arena.

TPM is full of wonderful moments whereas LotR failed completely in the emotion factor, just like AOTC did but that is a whole different slew of argument.

4. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Cave troll sequence was 'CRAZY'? A bunch of guys hiding behind pillars so they wouldn't get eaten by a CG thing? Wow, original; never been done before [face_plain]

And you have yet to show how the Cave Troll sequence was, in any way, crucial. It was a simple 'action' sequence, nothing more.

5. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    which had little to do with CRUCIALITY that the 'cave troll' sequence had

Would you actually explain, in as much detail as you can, exactly how the "cave troll sequence" was so crucial to the plot of FOTR?

6. AL

Aug 22, 1998

"Would you actually explain, in as much detail as you can, exactly how the "cave troll sequence" was so crucial to the plot of FOTR?"

The entire fellowship fighting together to protect the ringbearer from peril.

7. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    actually, Star Wars uses much more "traditional" magic than FOTR.

the two wizards in LOTR don't really use any "magic" as we know it from countless Fantasy tales or games. Gandalf doesn't turn anybody into anything. He doesn't shoot fireballs from his hands or uses healing spells. He's more a wise man than a traditional wizard.
    SW however uses the "traditional" magic in abundance. People have lightning coming from their fingers. Yoda shooting fireballs, people are levitating objects etc. etc. So SW is much closer to traditional Fantasy than Tolkien is.

and I'm sure the comment about the magic in the Moth scene referred to "sense of wonder" rather than Fantasy magic.

But I also can't see how the cave troll fight is supposed to be "crucial". The fight between Gandalf and the Balrog might be crucial but the cave troll fight?

8. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    Come on Stinrab...

...those shots with the camera behind Gimley [the dwarf] where the troll is swing that hammer at him to destroy the casket...and then the same type of shots where the troll was swing at Gimley...but could only hit the other orks...not to mention Legolas and his moves...

...my point is that it was crucial [not only due to the action but] bcause it was shot very nicely. When Gimley is dodging those blows, the camera is in the right place to make you feel like you are there.

Do you agree?

9. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    Tukafo...

...I mean Jackson's filmmaking is MAGICAL...

...not the characters action sequences...

...come on man...use your head.

10. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    "A bunch of guys hiding behind pillars so they wouldn't get eaten by a CG thing? Wow, original; never been done before"

stinrab, you evil AOTC basher!

:p

11. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    Your probably right DathAbdul-jabbar, I wonder if fans of starwars can agree on anything anymore

12. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    I said it was cool, JenX...

...not original -- a poor [and off-topic] argument.

Plus, Jackson shot all those fight sequences better than Lucas shot HIS action scenes.

13. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Christovsky, you are not making any sense: shot nicely?

Why people with no idea abount film making want to have serious discussions on the subject: I have no idea!

14. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Do you agree?

Oh, I agree; it's well choreographed and filmed. But crucial? No.

Your dictionary must have a different definition to 'crucial' than mine

15. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    You said crucial Christovsky, as in:

"...tell me ONE thing that is as magical as 'the Gandalf-Moth' sequence or as CRUCIAL as the 'Cave Troll' sequence..."

Now, if you meant "cool" or "well shot" you should have said so.

16. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    Lucas shot his fights so choppy and flashy that you CAN't get into his fight scenes...

...that's NOT crucial...when you shoot a fight scene really well, that is [in my opinion] cruciality.

I guess, if people consider the 'Obi-Wan/Jango' fight and the [obviously] choreographed Maul and Dooku duels crucial...than they WILL have an opinion that differs from mine.

At least LOTR made me feel like I was THERE, whereas STAR WARS made me want to leave the theatre.

17. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    JenX...I thought it was well-shot to the point where I felt like I was there in the movie...that is crucial to me.

18. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    AL, that comment has no base

you don't need to be chef to know whether food tastes great or not
    you don't need to be a computer manufacturer to know whether your PC crashed or not.
    you don't need to be a director to know whether a film was done well or not

19. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Lucas shot his fights so choppy and flashy that you CAN't get into his fight scenes...

Oh dear. And the fight sequences in FOTR aren't choppy?

[face_plain]

20. AL

Aug 22, 1998

You do need to have a knowledge of film to have an intelligent conversation about the art form as otherwise most of the argument will centre on phrases such as "nicely shot".

I did not like AOTC but most of the others I see around here who share the same opinion come up with points that are hardly reasonable and well thought of. It's embarassing.

21. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    Considering from your picture AL...

...I guess you though that the 'Obi-Wan/Jango' fight WAS shot nicely; as well as other PT fights...that makes no sense [to me].

22. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Uhm, SW action sequences choppy? LMAO

LOTR's action scenes were so choppy that I couldn't follow what was going on half the time. At least with SW Lucas shows what is happening

23. AL

Aug 22, 1998

No, I hated the Obi Wan/Jango fight: I did not like AOTC and I thought that especially the action sequences in the flick sucked ass.

I just don't agree with the points you are making.

24. Christovsky

Jan 28, 2002
    Real quick here...KosmicKnine...at least the LOTR fights are entertaining [unlike the PT fight scenes]...

...and AL...when I mean, "shot nicely," I mean that it had the right look to make it an acceptable [and captivating] fight scene.
    Not looking beyond the immediate is UNintelligent.

Sure the fights aren't flawless, KosmicKnine, but I can get into more than the PT fights...

An unintelligent way to put what I said is to say, "George's fight scenes are shot nicely."

The only reason this would be because there are cool camera shots...not camera shots that captivate you by making you say, "Whoa! That was close."

25. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    "Uhm, SW action sequences choppy? LMAO"

What? The Anakin/Dooku duel was a mess! I can't believe how badly editted that sequence was, and no amount of tight close ups could disguise the fact that it had been chopped to pieces.

If I'd been the person who choreographed that sequence, I'd have wept after seeing the finished product (although the large bundle of cash Id recieved for doing it would have soothed the pain ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.