main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

george just aint as hip as he used to be,hey it happens.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthAbdul-jabbar, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    Both movies had terrible editing during the action sequences, lotr you can't tell what the hell is going on, and all you see in aotc especially in the saber duel btwn dooku/anakin is the flash of blurry sabers.
    At least we get to see legolas shoot some orcs, which was very well shot, and the jango/obi wan fight was my fav. fight in the movie, nicely done.

2. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Christovsky

I am going to send you a dictionary. Your point is coming off bad right now. You need to know what crucial means. Maybe then your argument will make sense.

3. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    I think that English might not be their first language, so I'm going easy on them.

4. Christovsky

Christovsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm sorry If my argument is coming off bad...

...but if I haven't made a decent defense, it's a lost cause.

In addition, I am SO sorry that I am unable to perform at the intellectual level of others on this forum. Just imagine how the rest of your arguments are coming off...

The beauty of it is that I am just here to have controversial debates -- your insults are fueled by my antagonistic posts.

You SUPERIOR BEINGS are too much for my humble self -- i'm out.

5. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    actually, you know what's scary? My experience shows that the non-native speakers on this board seem to be able to speak much better English than many native speakers.

6. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

As I have mentioned in other threads, in other contexts, I don't think that being a fan of one genre, one "work" (a movie or series of movies, a book or series of books), one character, etc, means that one cannot also enjoy, or be a fan of, OTHER genres, other works, other characters. I understand the media LOVES to boil everything down to a simplistic horse-race mentality, and I also understand that many fans seem to feel that "true believers" must thumb their noses at "the outsiders", but I never bought into that.

Among many other things, I enjoy science fiction and fantasy. Some sci-fi /fantasy movies I love, others leave me indifferent, and some I actively dislike. Overall, I root for EVERY such movie to be done well and to enjoy a degree of success, even if it isn't my particular cup of tea, because that will (given how Hollywood thinks - Ka-Ching $$$$) mean that MORE such movies will get greenlighted... which I see as a good thing.

All that being said, I think it only fair to point out that when we discuss GL and SW, we are talking about a universe that has been rumbling along for decades now. To expect every movie in the SW series to fill you with the same sense of wonderful discovery that ANH did, twenty plus years ago, seems a bit naiive. To be honest, I think the guy who started this thread knows that full well, and just wanted to get a rise from GL/SW fans. I don't want this to be taken the wrong way - I enjoyed TPM AND AOTC. There were some great moments in both, some interesting characters, visuals, story elements. I am EAGERLY looking forward to Episode 3, and I will see it with a sense of melancholy, knowing it is the LAST in an astonishing series. BUT... if what you demand is the experience of discovering the SW universe for the very first time, every time you see a SW movie, you are going to be predictably disappointed. And I think that expectation is totally unrealistic.

I don't think it denigrates AOTC or SW at all to say that LOTR was a great film, a lot of fun, and yes, that LOTR benefitted from a certain "freshness" (funny, given how long the books have been out there!). I can point to moments in certain of the "fight sequences" in LOTR that I wish were choreographed more tightly, but I can also point to many truly magical and special moments that, for me, were on a par with the magic in the SW series. So what? Praising one does not lessen the other. I am grateful to have had the chance to see LOTR and AOTC in the span of a few months - and to have been entertained by Spider-Man as well!

Is GL as "hip" as he "was"? Yes, I think he actually is - WE are the ones who have changed. Most of us, that is. We are older, have seen and read more, have been spoilered, EUd, and everything else. A kid seeing AOTC cold doesn't fail to see the magic there - and at times, even a fossil like me could too...

*S*

Shadow

7. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    This thread title is hilarious. Who could resist posting in it?

For a real assessment of George's current hipness, all one really has to do is look at THIS PICTURE!!

[image=http://www.theeditdr.com/tpe/GL.jpg]

While you do, keep in mind that all of Anakin's "cheesy" love lines are things that George Lucas really does say in real life Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't know if such material belongs in space fantasy (Star Wars was never, ever sci-fi).

8. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i heard the entire cast and crew was on some d-rugs for the filming of the OT. so maybe now that george has come down off-a that acid trip his perceptions have changed.

9. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Hmmm... I wonder, is it possible???

Compare, if you will:

[image=http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/illustrated/images/chewiehan.jpg]

to this:

[image=http://www.theeditdr.com/tpe/GL.jpg]

Things are all starting to come together.

10. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Ah yes, TokyoExtreme

Fashion connoisseur and sharp wit. Ha Ha Ha. I doubt anyone would want to raid your closet.

If anything, this goes to show that George Lucas hasn't changed much over the years. He's still making the same movies in the same way; he just has some new toys to play with.

11. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    hey, is that a sketch of georgie with a saber standing next to the original chewie?

12. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Fans just ain't as hip as they used to be. Hey, it happens.

13. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Pretty uncanny, isn't it Zeekveerko? That sketch is close to 30 years old!

(by the way, if the OT was being made now, that's how Chewbacca would look)

14. Grizham1

Grizham1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2001
    the flannel king, its got be hot wearing those damn things everywhere

15. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    IMHO, George was never hip . . and I likes it dat way, dad-gummit!

He's an old fashioned guy who wants to tell stories like the ones he loved as a kid . . only bigger and better.

You want hip? Go watch "The Matrix". While it IS a film which I enjoyed greatly, it almost collapsed under the weight of all of those hip sunglasses and cool black vinyl.

Star Wars is ray guns and rocket ships. That's what you pay for at the box office, folks. To expect anything else would be silly, dag-nabbit.

-Otis

16. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    ... keep in mind that all of Anakin's "cheesy" love lines are things that George Lucas really does say in real life
    If you say so ...

Come on, even Lucas doesn´t wear flannel all the time , and Jeans are always more or less hip. "It´s hip to be square."

At least the prequels are hip enough to lure some ultra-conservative OT fans and turn them into PT bashers here.
    I really can´t understand that people are still complaining five years after this GL Star Wars Insider interview:

I´m doing things that in a certain case might be UNCONVENTIONAL, that I might get KILLED for, but I´m doing what I want to do.
    If you didn´t like my hair-dos in Star Wars, you are really not going to like them in thios one. They´ll drive you nuts. I like them.
    I´m doing also very stylistic ideas, things that are very musical in terms of how I develop themes, and repeat themes. I go do the same thing over and over in certain areas to echo what I have done before.It´s like a symphony more than a movie. Some people may not even understand that sort of thing. They think it´s just Star Wars with a shorter Luke Skywalker. It was done all on purpose to create a certain feeling when you watch all of them in order. Certain lines become more meaningful. It´s going to CHANGE the first three movies rather dramatically. That´s my whole reason for doing it. If it didn´t change them, I wouldn´t be doing it.

17. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    ...THE MATRIX and FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS are more creative, magical and imaginitive than Geiser George could ever attempt...

Yes, far more creative and imaginitive. Never mind the fact that LOTR was a book and The Matrix was a rip off of a bunch of anime and hong kong movies...

18. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    SW was a rip-off of Flash Gordon and The Hidden Fortress, but we love it anyways.

19. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    lotr was more imaginative than prequel star wars because it was a book, and well-written one at that, foxbat.

the matrix, however, was just annoying, imo.
    another fx extravaganza. the scene with jar jar stepping in poo is more fulfilling to me than the entire matrix film.

which reminds me of willow.
    do yourselves a favor and watch willow again.
    compare madmartigan swinging his sword with the two headed hydra behind him to obi-wan with the (whatever that thing's called) that scares off the droids.
    also, madmartigan steps in troll poo, in a scene that mirrors jar jar's entrance into mos espa.

20. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    If you don't like the PT, just say it. Please don't feed us this "George just ain't hip" ********

no cussin'

21. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    foxbatkillr, if you've read the book, then you'll surely understand that adaptation is a much greater effort than you seem to realize. For fifty years, they thought LOTR was unfilmable, and it nearly was; Bakshi tried in the seventies, Rankin-Bass tried in the eighties, and the former is now considered a joke while the latter is all but forgotten.

Now, some complain about the cinematography of LOTR's fight scenes, but I agree with it. Let me explain why:

In Rashomon, Kurosawa demonstrates the two extremes of cinematic combat. The story is told in flashbacks, from various characters' contradictory points of view. At one point in the story, two characters, a bandit and a traveller, fight to the death.

The bandit recounts the duel as being stylish and fun; he brags about how their swords clashed in excess of thirty times. In portraying the duel onscreen, the cinematography and editing change to match his style; we get nice wide shots of the duelists, the camera always striving to give us the optimal angle. The choreography--which is made clearly evident--has definite beats to it, more like a dance than a fight.

Another witness, however, tells a wholly different account of the "duel," and his flashback portrays it as a brutal, ugly exercise in pain and terror. The camera ceases to care about the optimal angle, choosing its position seemingly at random as it observes the two men rolling on the ground, screaming and struggling. Gone is the elaborate choreography, and in its place is stark realism on all fronts.

The former style, pioneered in Asia by Hong Kong choreographer King Hu, became highly popular, and is widely used to this day by action heroes from Jackie Chan to Keanu Reeves. Their films' fight scenes forego realism in favor of grace, style, and fun.

While this style of combat certainly has its place, there are many genres it doesn't fit into. Imagine Saving Private Ryan if the allies at Normandy started flipping and cartwheeling around the beach. Imagine Braveheart if Wallace and his men started doing tricks and balletic choreography.

It all depends on the tone of the film. Jackson, in keeping with the grounded, realism-driven spirit of the books, elected to portray his combat as the chaotic, frantic bombardment it tends to be--which I think is a much better choice, given the gravity of the subject matter, than the Xena-style acrobatics we could have gotten instead.

22. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Christovsky:

The hot pocket joke wasn't intended to diss you or anything. I apologize if I came off rude.

JenX:

I agree that some scenes in Star Wars has magic; however, it is a rarity that a director can actually inject magic into a motion picture. I'd say Lucas' magic in the SW saga was VERY lucky to be there. Don't expect every Star Wars film to have magic; because it is just an element you can't yank out of your behind so that you can add it to your film.

23. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    ...my point is that it was crucial [not only due to the action but] bcause it was shot very nicely.

I don't think it was shot very nicely at all. It was a fun sequence, don't get me wrong, but the close-up chaotic style that Jackson chose to employ for all the fight sequences was distracting and made it too difficult to tell exactly what was going on. And what about Jackson's liberal use of slow-motion to hammer the audience over the head with every "emotional" moment?

As for the cave troll sequence being crucial? Frankly, I would have preferred it if Jackson had cut out half the action sequences and replaced them with dialogue and story developement.

The thing is, Lucas is a master at mixing action, plot developement, and character developement all in a tight pleasing package. For example, the planet core sequence from The Phantom Menace and the speeder chase through Coruscant in Attack Of The Clones. In these examples, we see the plot being advanced, the characters being fleshed out, but we also have a satisfying action sequence to top it all off.

Jackson, on the other hand, seems to either show us story developement or action, but rarely does he mix the two. The reason I found the action sequences in The Fellowship Of The Ring so laborious was because they actually halted the story advancement for 10 minutes or more while Jackson tried to wow us with CGI cave trolls and bad blue screen effects.

For me, the most magical Star Wars moment in the prequels has to be when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan approach Oto Gunga. That sequence is Star Wars magic at its best. The Fellowship Of The Ring was good, but once the film left the Shire behind (and, incidentally, much of Tolkien's brilliant narrative) the film lost a great deal of its magic, at least in my opinion. As for magic in Attack Of The Clones, the moment when Anakin and Obi-Wan similtaneously sense the centipedes getting ready to kill Padme is easily as "magical" as FOTR's moth sequence. There are countless other moments of Star Wars magic in Attack Of The Clones with the climax being about 40 minutes of non-stop magic.

But that's all just my opinion.

24. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    BUT... if what you demand is the experience of discovering the SW universe for the very first time, every time you see a SW movie, you are going to be predictably disappointed. And I think that expectation is totally unrealistic.

That's a damn good quote, my friend.

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    (no message)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.