main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

george just aint as hip as he used to be,hey it happens.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthAbdul-jabbar, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    The fact is, people want the new films to be like FOTR, GONE WITH THE WIND, the original STAR WARS, the GODFATHER - in other words "a milestone in cinema. A Classic". Lucas did all that back in 1977 with the original movie and as they say "you only get one bite of the cherry" that is, unless your name ends with Spielberg. Deal with it (myself included).

Lucas has done his revolutionising, people and lets face it - he's got nothing left in the tank. (Go on George, proove me wrong).

2. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

The problem that a lot of people, including yours truly, are having is that the new film is not even good in normal blockbuster standards, let alone a masterpiece of cinema.

I don't expect Alexander Nevsky from Lucas and nor do I expect a return to the spirit of the original Star Wars. I expect a decent film and Attack of the Clones did not deliver it for me.

3. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    that is exactly it al, the PT so far is just not good filmmaking.

4. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Okay, name one recent blockbuster better than AOTC (Bored of the Rings doesn't count)?

*sound of crickets chirping*

*tumbleweed blows across topic*

5. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Ok, here's a challenge.

Give good filmography reasons - not personal opinions! - why AOTC is bad?

*Hears even more crickets.*

6. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Duckman - The Royal Tenenbaums - directed by Wes Anderson, co-written by Anderson and Owen Wilson.

7. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Recent blockbusters better than AOTC

- A.I.
    -Minority Report
    - Lord of the Rings
    -Spider-Man
    - Moulin Rouge (does this count as a blockbuster?)
    - Ice Age
    - Monsters Inc.
    and even Harry Potter which was pretty bad but not remotely as bad as AOTC

Every episode of 24 is better than AOTC

And what on earth is a "filmography reason". Looks as if you're talking about cinematic or film-technical reasons but didn't know the correct term

8. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    And while your at it Tukafo, is the "PowerPuff Girls Movie" is better than AOTC. [face_plain]

9. AL

Aug 22, 1998

The Royal Tennenbaums is hardly a blockbuster.

Signs is a much better film than Attack of the Clones.

Attack fo the Clones has a convoluted story. Its characters are dull, resort to cliches at all times and are not at all fun. The actors don't even try to do something genuinely pleasing with what they have and churn out amateur performances that makes Jake Lloyd's in TPM look and feel like Olivier. It is shot indistinctly and inconsequentially, and its production design lacks any orginality that you would expect from not just a Star Wars film but a sci-fi/fantasy film in general. The special effects are grainy not aided by the immature use of digital filmmaking tools which take away from an already mediocre end product. The music is unengaging, lacking the power of any previous John Williams score and the re-hash of the TPM score in the final reel is embarassing in a main stream Hollywood film. The action sequences are choppy lacking a strong central narrative as to why the characters are doing what they are doing and especially the last forty minutes lack any excitement whatsoever.

Happy now?

10. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "...the last forty minutes lack any excitement whatsoever."

Are you sure you were watching the correct movie? [face_plain]

11. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    whoah the crickets stopped!

12. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Where is the "AOTC defence force" when you need them?? :p

13. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Tukafo.

How in the world can you possibly think A.I. is better than AOTC. Did that movie even end yet? I had to walk out on the 4th ending. Talk about not being able to edit. And what was the point? That he was Pinnochio. Cause I got a headache from all the ANVILS dropping on my head.

AL

I am convinced you never even saw AOTC now. I'm going to have to see some ticket stubs before your opinion gains any credibility again.

14. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    A.I. is the way spielberg & kubrick intended it. its their movie and if you dont like it too bad. why talk about a movie you dont like?

and on and on and on... see how it works?

how is "im convinced you didnt see AOTC" a thoughtful and reasoned response to the issues raised by al? and if you have a problem wiht anvils i find it hard to see how you can sit through any star wars film, let alone the PT.

try adressing the post next time.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    why complain about a movie you dont like?

This is the most sensible thing I've ever seen come from a basher.

16. AL

Aug 22, 1998

Are you sure you were watching the correct movie?

Yes, I was. The problem starts with the hack of an afterthought that is the droid foundry scene. Just when you need a break from the action and the love story, Lucas scraps the Anakin/Padme trial scene and cuts straight into the love declaration scene, which is written, handled, shot and acted so, so badly that it does not deserve to be on any film, let alone a Star Wars one. Wow, she uses so many adverbs, she must love him.

Anyway, I digress. From this point onwards, we are treated to badly animated and (apart from the Acklay which I love) badly designed creatures trying to kill the heroes. The challenges these animals present are so easily beaten it lacks any kind of suspense. Just look at Lando's oeril in the mouth of the Sarlacc and you will see what I mean. The lack of any kind of dramatic music also takes away from any kind of suspense.

Then, the Jedi arrive. I thought we were going to see a decent Jedi army in action: lots of different fighting moves, different types of lightsabre techniques, different species and a fast, very fast battle. Instead, we are treated to a shabbily cut amalgamation of very nad moves, executed hideously slowly.

Then the clones arrive which is the only slightly cool part but again there just is not anough of them. This is the beginning skirmish of the Great Clone War and we are not trated to a battle of infinite proportions. For what is supposed to be the most grand actions sequence of the films, it is small and lacks the intensity of Hoth, shot using the minimal resources more than 20 years ago.

The lightsabre battle is the worst as we do not get to see anything. it is badly choreographed and shot with such close and conventional angles that we search for the "intensity" of the ANH duel between the two decrepit ex-Jedi.

It is, in one word, underwhelming.

17. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well I'm sure he seen it...

18. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    AL, all your reasons are purely subjective and worded in such a way as to make the movie seem as dull and hackneyed as you can possibly make it sound. I agree that if the movie played out the way you described it then you'd have far more supporters than you do. However, many of us were not privy to the boring and poorly edited version that you somehow managed to see.

19. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    durwood, while you may not agree with al, he presents his opinion clearly and legibly, and his choice of adjectives and other modifiers serves his commentary well enough to illustrate his point of view to people who completely disagree.
    someone asked for good, logical reasons why people didn't like attack of the clones, and now that it has been presented it is only refuted with commentaries on how he chooses his words and obviously false remarks that he's never seen the movie.

AL - you're right, tenenbaums wasn't a blockbuster hit, but someone asked for an example of a good blockbuster hit from this year, and it was the only really good movie that came to mind.

20. AL

Aug 22, 1998

zeekveerko, point taken. The film, on the other hand, is bloody excellent, I definetely agree.

21. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I was merely saying that those are things he didn't like about the movie and not reasons why the movie was bad. It's the subtle difference between saying, "I didn't like the editing" and "The editing was bad." See what I'm getting at?

22. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I pretty loved everything AL hated. It's probably never going to be good enough for some people.

23. blackjack86

blackjack86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    Recent blockbusters better than AOTC

- A.I.

A.I. was horrible. It's a bleak film about a bleak concept with bleak people. The final 20 minutes speak for themselves.

-Minority Report

I'll agree with you there. It's an incredible movie.

- Lord of the Rings

I'll agree with you here too, I watched it recently and it really is amazing.

-Spider-Man

This movie is not nearly as good as people think it is. I predict in about 5 years we'll remember this as we remember the second "Batman" movie

- Moulin Rouge (does this count as a blockbuster?)

Not really, it's more arthouse and experimental. It's also in a completely different category than AOTC

- Ice Age

Didn't see it, have no comment.

- Monsters Inc.

This movie was very well-written but I think it's in a different category than AOTC as well, so you really can't compare them.

and even Harry Potter which was pretty bad but not remotely as bad as AOTC

It was a great kids movie; that Quidditch match looked fake, and it's infinitely predictable.

AOTC is an anomoly (anamoly, anomaly?); because the more I watched it the better it got. Star Wars movies are really best when watched casually, without all the intensity of being a frothing-mouthed geek.

24. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
  25. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Star Wars movies are really best when watched casually, without all the intensity of being a frothing-mouthed geek.

Bingo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.