main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit George Lucas: A Life

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 24, 2016.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I regularly visit John Scalzi's blog 'Whatever', and he occasionally posts pics of ARCs he has received. Yesterday's blog contained a volume called George Lucas: A Life. Written by Brian Jay Jones, it is the first comprehensive telling of the story of the iconic filmmaker and the building of his film empire, as well as of his enormous impact on cinema. At once a biography, a business manual, and a film history, George Lucas will, for the first time explore the life and work of a fiercely independent writer/director/producer who became one of the most influential filmmakers and cultural icons - a true game changer. You can see a pic and the rest of the description here on Amazon UK. Their release date is December 6 2016.

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes, this looks good

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A biography of the man-who put all of us here okay then looks a little interesting.

4. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Anyone read the book??

Is it worth the purchase?

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Not really. It doesn't elaborate on anything new about the Bearded One. Not the most flattering book about him either.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Sigh. For someone who worked his butt off entertaining millions (billions?) and donating a crap ton of money to charity, people just love harping on his flaws for some dumbass reason.

Like now you don't see him on the news unless people want to rake him through the mud. George what do you think of this new movie? Oh I liked it except this one part here... GEORGE HATES THE NEW MOVIE! What a spiteful old man! If only he had made good movies he wouldn't feel this way.

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    A book is not OBLIGATED to necessarily be flattering about its subject. Its obligation is to be TRUTHFUL about its subject.

Sturm Antilles and TheRedBlade like this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    No one is perfect in this world. Not me. Not you. And certainly not George. I don't understand why people expect him to be just because he created a multi billion dollar franchise called star wars[face_peace]

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    But prequels ruined childhood hur dur

10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    bah. I wanted an all-flattery book. That I'd buy [face_not_talking]

no, really. [face_sigh]

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It doesn't have to be all flattery but it should be respectful, and people find it all too easy to disrespect the man in plaid. If Vialco noted it wasn't the most flattering book, I assume he had good reason to do it.

Vialco and DelRiego like this.
  12. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Actually, "The man in plaid" would be a nice title for the book I'd buy.

13. The Corellian President

The Corellian President Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2015
    Read it...didn't really care for it. The fact that it's unauthorized and only relies on secondary sources for George speaking, means you only barely get half the story.