main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't think Disney will Disneyfy Star Wars, but I do fear that they'll Sithify it.
    "GL made me act wooden."
    - Sir Alec Guinness

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    With all due respect... how exactly does a block of wood "act"?

I guess you'd have to ask an Ent Oops, wrong movie series. Move along, move along :p

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well if you are stating that applies to all the Star Wars movies... then I'd say yes, to a certain degree the acting is so stylised it can come across as being a bit wooden/hammy. If you are implying this is specific to the prequels, I'd say you're very mistaken.

I'd say that it's highly unlikely that Lucas has thrown together a treatment. The handover of a treatment/treatments, I'm sure, was part of the deal... but Lucas is a detail man. I'd bet my house on the fact that his treatments are fairly detailed and elaborate.

The second thing worth mentioning is that Disney (and Kennedy) aren't stupid. Lucas is, if nothing else, brilliant at the creation of characters, situations and wrapping it in modern mythology. Disney/Kennedy would be competey mad if they didn't utilise most, if not all, his ideas. :)

4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Lucas is so much of a detail man, he only came up with Anakin's turn during the reshoots for ROTS.

If they were so detailed, why would Arndt have to come with a 45 page doc for the whole trilogy?

The initial info I heard said that GL's ideas ran to about a page or two of simple ideas, and that's what Arndt ran with.

George will have come up with the basic story I've no doubt and it will be his broad vision, but with others executing and thrashing out the detail.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This gels with what I've heard as well.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    hey all, starting to get psyched. hope we get some new info soon.
    personally i hope some of gl's treatments are followed. give us some empire like films with gl behind the scenes giving the main plot points but others putting it together.

Veloz and FinleySlade like this.
  7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    That's just it. A treatment is a fairly complete story document - length can vary, but mine tend to run between 10 pages to 35 (which is pretty long). Anything less would be normally be considered an outline or synopsis. I don't think GL wrote treatments. He had ideas that Arndt turned into treatments (and I think multiple writers had a crack at GL's ideas - Arndt came out on top. Apparently KK loved his trilogy treatment). Of course, what I've heard may be bunk, but equally I wouldn't put 100% store by any official statements from Disney or statements GL has made over the years, which tend to be constantly revised and often contradictory.

I think GL's vision executed by others is exactly what we'll get, but my guess is this will be the film with the least involvement from the plaided one by quite a margin. Less than Empire certainly.

8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think being anal about detail and being fluid with the way one composes/edits/sequences a story during production are mutually exclusive. That said, it's equally possible that Lucas no longer gives a **** and or is out of ideas and just wrote it on the back of a fag packet. Without any insider information I'm just trying to use Occam's razor to speculate.

FinleySlade likes this.
  9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Fair point, if something isn't working and a better solution presents itself then if possible, it should be changed. With that particular beat though I feel it's something that should have been nailed down much earlier. I think he did care, just perhaps not as much as everyone else (and maybe that's only natural anyway).

10. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    The last time George Lucas walked away from control of a project we ended up with The Star Wars Holiday Special. I hope that this does not happen again.

11. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I think the circumstances are slightly better this time. ;)

12. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Yep, lens flares and shooting it on film. As if that is a giant leep forward.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  13. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    "Sigh"

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    In terms of the treatments themselves, we basically no nothing.

We don't know when they were written.
    We don't know how long they were worked on.

We know what we were told.
    And we know better than to believe it.

:cool:

DARTH_BELO and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It seems that Lucas had some sort of hand in the creation of (at least some of) the “spin-offs”, as well. His quote from that original video was “We have treatments for 7, 8 and 9 and a bunch of other movies”. He did say “we”, though, as appose to “I”.

LunarMoth and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Good point. I can't imagine that it would not have crossed Lucas' mind about spinoffs while developing the overall story for the ST. And from Disney's POV, it sweetens the deal for buying Lucasfilm in the first place. Many movies would results in a bigger bottom line than simply 3.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    HAHAHA YAY LENS FLARE JOKES SO ORIGINAL

18. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

he didnt just walk away he retired. huge difference. also jj is a pretty damn good director so i have faith in him. and heck it couldve been someone like michael bay who just ruined tmnt by making them aliens instead of mutants and megan fox as april :smh:

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just ban him Chorus lol

20. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

id rather have lens flares over god awful cartoony cgi that isnt needed

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd rather have a forum that doesn't have lens flare jokes rather than one that does.

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd rather be a manly Muppet than a Muppet of a man.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I was just thinking about something... [face_thinking]

I wonder if we'll ever get a chance to know exactly what story elements from the ST are ones that came directly from GL, as part of his treatment or whatever. Once the movie has come out and we're all well aware of the plot and what happens I would be very interested to see which parts actually came from "the SW creator..."

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it will probably be obvious to SW fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.