main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, agreed. And I think we'll only get our (subjective) answers when TFA is released.

2. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I had an interesting thought....more of a question. And I think I already know the answer, but here goes:

What if KK/JJ had said, "we kept George's core ideas from the treatments. But as the script involved, we did change some stuff around, added, deleted a few things."

Would that have been good enough? or would it have led to, "well, what did they change? Maybe they changed something important, and now it's not Lucas' idea anymore."

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Wyatt Earp is ok... but The Bodyguard is not very good IMO. Tombstone is classic.

Satipo likes this.
  4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    It would have been the latter. The only reason this is really all that big a point of concern is because of the who, not the what. Like it almost doesnt' matter what the story ends up being, or how it ends up playing. The importance is more heavily weighted towards whose name is on those ideas, rather than the quality of them, and so long as that's the case, the appearance of someone aside from Lucas having input (much less the majority input) into where the story goes is always going to be the source of disconnect.

5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I think the Bespin lightsaber as a MacGuffin, the Captain Phasma name/character, the village massacre and Finn refusing to take part in it, the lead being a female and one of the male leads being black all came from either GL's treatments or encouragement.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think Kasdan understands Lucas ('I can get into his head') comment. Another strength is Kasdan and Abrams in terms of age and perspective. Kasdan will be able to write from the perspective of Han, Luke and Leia in terms of the life cycle. Hopefully JJ has a good sensibility for the younger generation since he is sort of the 'apprentice' to Kasdan, Lucas and Spielberg. That's a great construction in terms of writing the story.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I like your thinking but one doesn't need to be 'at point of life cycle' of character to write or empathise with them. :p I am 32 and I prefer writing elder men. Just because you are a thing doesn't mean it's what makes the most sense or has the most meaning for you.

Rabs, Immortiss and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  8. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Agreed. But Kasdan did indicate that he enjoyed writing Ford, Hamill and and Fisher's characters because they were close to his age. It's a bit meta.

Immortiss and Artoo-Dion like this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Absolutely. The best writers can write from any perspective, be it young or old, man or woman. It's just that Kasdan is revisiting the characters and universe from a different perspective than that of thirty years ago. That's a very special joy of circumstance.

10. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I only agree with the Dreamcatcher criticism. And the failings of most of the other films, if they have failings, are mostly due to direction, IMO.

11. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    This is a great point. Though Lucas, whose vision and creativity is undeniable (and was the main force behind why Star Wars was made and was successful), deserves the lion share of the credit for making it all happen. He's the leader. The general. Without him, there would have been no battle plan.

But if we try to artificially isolate the most important elements of implementing Lucas' vision, and ensuring ANH's success, I would say it was two main things:

1. Ralph McQuarrie
    2. The actors

Without the unparalleled design work of McQuarrie, and without the fire, energy and chemistry that this still unrivaled ensemble cast brought to the film, it would have simply been another Flash Gordon.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Fixed. :)

13. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    In addition to the epoch-defining work of ILM (raising the bar for special effects post-SW) I would also add John Williams and Ben Burtt as absolutely pivotal here - the soundtrack and audio effects are really important: the desolate scream of the Tie fighters! The brooding hum of the lightsabers!

14. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Oh, definitely. I'd amend my list to include Williams, and then Burtt as a very, very close fourth. This kind of team, IMO, has never quite come together so perfectly for a film series since then. LOTR came close, but IMO missed the mark due to excessive bloat and melodrama.

TK327, Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
  15. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    C-3PO was supposed to be a slick car salesman type, probably not unlike Watto, but when AD got in the suit the character became a stuffy, neurotic upper crust British butler type. It's just kismet.

16. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    No, a while back people on this board ( you know who you are ) were saying...Spielberg may have recommended abrams or Kennedy but not Lucas. This kinda spits in the face at that idea. Lucas seemed to like the idea of Abrams as well to take over the story. Everyone involved seems to be very impressed with what he's done. I'm excited to see for myself.

17. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    George gave JJ the keys to GFFA when he called and said "if you do it it's your thing" JJ understands the importance of this it's basically obi handing luke anakins saber "I'm getting to old for this sorta thing"

18. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Poll: Did George Lucas intend for his sequel story to be filmed?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't think Kennedy and Abrams took Lucas' treatments and ritualistically burned them and not use 100% of anything, they probably just took some key broad strokes.

Dewback, Immortiss, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    George no doubt intended for his outlines to be developed into a script but would have been aware there was a possibility Disney and KK would move away from them. He is not an idiot.

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    No. He intended for his outlines to be potentially used in developing screenplays which would then be filmed. That may sound pedantic, but it's an important distinction. You can't just film a story.

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Poll: which part of George's treatment was your favourite?

23. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Around the time he stopped writing about the crime and went on to the punishment bit.

24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Probably about as much as he expected "The Star Wars" to reach the screen. George makes movies. He knows how this works.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    George's treatment: great story, or greatest story?

Artoo-Dion and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.