main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Can we stop this crap please? Talk about Lucas' treatments and his supposed talent, or lack of it. But this argument is now WAY off topic.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Ummm... have you looked at the overall theme of this thread lately? It is a very pervasively uncivilized one filled with baiting, defensiveness, bashing, and denial.

We have a winner.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I have a lot of people on ignore,

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, and several people have already said TFA will be fantastic (and that will REALLY show George), will have a great plot, has a great storyline, etc. I hope they are right, but the truth is, neither side knows. But we digress from the topic yet again....

5. Alpha Sloth

Alpha Sloth Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2015
    It's sad that TFA hasn't even been released and people are already taking jabs at it.

It's even sadder when most of the fans you see bashing or "criticizing" TFA are PT fans.

Am I disappointed that GL's treatments were dropped? Yeah, but that shouldn't stop any of us from getting excited and enjoying TFA.

Just my 2 cents (BTW this is coming from someone whose favorite Star Wars movie is ROTS and who loves the Prequels).

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Awesome. It's the attiude I usually try to convey.

Hang on. Boss Nass. Let's try that... Nah too much work.
    Okay, how about a 3PO....

7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, I love them too, and I think that we shouldn't sink to the level of people who have made it their life mission to bash them. I want to enjoy TFA and I think I will. SW is 6/6 to me so far, 7/7 if you count TCW feature. I don't think SW will ever go away from it's roots like so many superhero comics have, mostly because almost all fans and filmmakers have such respect for ANH and ESB. As a Superman fan, I wish Jerry Siegel's stories got the respect and held the influence that the first two Star Wars movies still have and will always have.

Alpha Sloth likes this.
  8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Treatment of George Lucas's Treatment

This thread is the soap opera.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I truly hope that, if TFA uses some of George's story, he will say so. That might calm things down a bit. And, barring that, I hope he at least likes the film. Heaven help this place if he speaks out against it.

10. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    Yeah, I'd actually like to see both sides admit it if they used any of George's ideas. Put on a show of good will for the fans and get rid of the "versus" feeling that the CBS interview seems to have ignited.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Mod edit: Removed - unnecessary baiting of other users

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This thread has received enough warnings. Some of you are lucky to not be banned right now. Others are banned right now.

So this thread is going to take a break. It might be for a little while, or it might be until something new related to Lucas comes out and warrants new discussion. That could include:
    - A new interview with Lucas
    - The movie's release, with full credits
    - More substantive behind-the-scenes information, talking about Lucas' role and/or his treatments being used (or not) in TFA

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  14. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    It strikes me that in not too long there will be more SW movies without George Lucas than with. Strange thought.

Harrison's comment is open to interpretation of course, but I think there's more of GL in this film than anyone realizes, perhaps even George.

15. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    No. Remember, the George will be with you...always.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I cannot believe this thread was re-opened [face_laugh]

Canyon D likes this.
  17. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    See, Lucas did a great job starting Star Wars, and although I think the prequels are horrible movies, I actually still really enjoy TPM and ROTS. Kinda like some people really love the original Mortal Combat movie. I just hope that Disney isn't gonna waste time trying to appease OT and PT fans, they should instead focus on the ST and making new stories and magical moments. Instead of saying "wow, OT fans loved how cool Lando was, let's bring him back so they love the movie even more!" They really should focus on making characters that we fans wish were in the previous six movies. Why do they have to appease either the PT and/or the OT fans? Why can't they instead focus on the ST fans?

Sent from my banana mobile using Tapatalk

18. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well before the old EU was axed it grew to a size much bigger than the movies. Quite a lot of them were garbage, but there were decent stuff as well.
    When we leave behind not only Lucas but Timothy Zahn, Drew Karpyshyn, John Jackson Miller and Dave Filoni as well. THAT will be strange. And scary.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think people are reading way too much into Lucas words which btw he choose very carefully since well *whispers*....he is a really smart guy! Lucas said Disney wanted to make more of a movie "for the fans". To me, that is code for: "they want it to be much more similar to the OT then I intended". Mainly I think the ST in terms of how Lucas wrote them was similar to the PT in regardless it had to do with a lot of political ideas and philosophy. I remember him being quoted specifically saying something alone the lines of (in terms of what Episodes VII-IX were) was "about how to forum a government and you much your willing to sacrifice your values in order to make it work". That sounds a lot like the PT which Disney and JJ seem intent on moving away from and go more to a simpler story line where there is very definite good and bad guys though there does seem to be more grey in this then the OT. I really think the idea of Disney moving away from a "family space drama" is silly. KK already said the ST will be Skywalker theme basically and all the spoilers lead us to believe the two main characters will be offspring from the Skywalker-Solo tree.

As for Han shooting first, I heard Lucas explain it a thousand times and every time I disagree. He has his opinion but in the end I think Team #HanShotFirst will win out. I think Disney will correct it when the forty year anniversary comes out!

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    A thing that struck me while this thread was locked is that amidst all the talk of whether Lucas's vision is being respected, surely there's a pretty good argument that in seeking to make an adventure serial inspired film, one overarching vision was never truly fundamental to Star Wars being Star Wars, and in fact the fleshing out and the idea of a vision was something that came much later, and that in fact, having Star Wars as a series which can be written and created by others, is pretty much full circle on when Lucas had the idea of trying to make a Flash Gordon film; if he had done so, and if it had been as good a relaunch of Flash Gordon as Star Wars was as an original thing, would that be considered a betrayal of the original creators of Flash Gordon? Would use of Flash Gordon imagery have been seen as hackneyed?

Tanjint likes this.
  21. ProfessorNutbudder

Apr 1, 2003
    I can definitely see a George Lucas written story having a scenes of the New Republic leadership dealing with the politics of the time it is set in. There would probably be Senatorial debates about how to deal with the what remains of the Empire or whatever group George would have as the antagonists. If the prequels are any indication, he likes that kind of drama.
    I agree with Luke02's interpretation of "for the fans" meaning "Like the OT". I think that is something GL would go out of his way too avoid.

Luke02 likes this.
  22. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    That is excellent news and, I think, the best of both worlds. It would certainly put to rest the idea that his treatments were completely rejected. It's been stated time and again that even though so much of the last 30 years has been relegated from canon to legends, it was always possible for future filmmakers, including JJ and company, to pick pieces of legends and once again make them canon.

As such it's certainly within the realm of possibility, maybe even probability, that the current brain trust did indeed take some parts of George's original treatments and insert them into TFA. If so, this would be the best outcome for fans as we get George's wonderful ideas and have them fleshed out by people like JJ and Kasden to make a Star Wars movie we can all get behind and love.

Valairy Scot and Zikri like this.
  23. ProfessorNutbudder

Apr 1, 2003
    You could also read Harrison Ford's quote as a blanket statement about how TFA has the feel of the OT to it. It could go either way.

Luke02 likes this.
  24. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    JJ was on Howard Stern today and while Howard and co were attacking George JJ was very gracious and had nothing but kind words to say about him.

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think that is the "spaceships" comment mostly.

I do find it highly unlikely that Lucas would make something that is such a homage to himself and what he did 30-40 years ago.

That is clearly a very "fan" thing to do.

Isn't the full interview going to be on Charlie Rose in December?

So we'll hopefully get more information then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.