main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Also true. but the two things aren't mutually exclusive. During the Clone Wars the Witches of Dathomir and the Sith both existed. We can have new sith AND new dark siders who totally don't believe in the ideals of the sith.

Maybe a group that embraces positive emotions. How about that?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Then what was the point of the Jedi purge? Wouldn't every war ever fought be pointless based on this logic?

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The key difference I think is that the witches seemed quite agnostic, spiritual and not out to conquer the galaxy necessarily. One can easily rationalise how those groups/factions can co-exist without undermining the prophecy. Where it becomes problematic, IMO, is where the new threat is indistinguishable from the previous.

4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Yeah it would. But people still wage wars. Terrible, isn't it? One side can have a temporary victory, but not a final one.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The point is to prevent future Force sensitives from being a threat to the Sith. Hence not only were the Jedi wiped out, but future generations were either eliminated or neutralized in some form. Even the Dagoyan Masters started to disappear towards the latter part of the Clone Wars. That's why in "Rebels", we see Vader and the Inquisitors killing not only the survivors of the Purge, but also eliminating future threats.

[​IMG]

And we know from the season two trailer, there were a different batch of Jedi survivors.

[​IMG]

When it comes to the Jedi vs the Sith and a purge of sorts, Luke won't go that far. Nor did the Jedi of old in Yoda's youth. Those Jedi had opted to only train those who could be trained and hoped that they would stay on the Jedi path. Sure, it is always possible for a new threat to emerge that will seek out the Sith teachings on Moraband. But the Jedi would deal with those people when they emerge and not take excessive measures like the Sith.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    My argument is that they still wouldn't be Sith because the Sith is an organization and you can't join an organization that doesn't exist anymore.

7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You can certainly re-start it...

Shamear likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A new Sith Order can be created from the old without someone formally inducting them. Meaning that Snoke and Kylo Ren can go and anoint themselves as Sith at any point. They haven't already done it because Snoke has a reason for not resurrecting the Sith. The exact reason will probably be revealed in time.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You can start a similar organization, but it will never be the same organization. Perhaps more importantly, naming and modeling your organization after an organization that failed seems like a silly idea.
    I could annoint myself a Sith tomorrow. Does that make me a Sith?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I don't know. Can you shoot lightning out of your fingers, and train someone else to do so in the knowledge that they may kill you one day? Have you got a big reactor shaft in your house that really should be fenced off in case you have a fight near it?

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Put it to you this way, where do you think the Jedi Order came from? The Sith Order. The Dagoyan Masters. The Nightsisters. Etc. They all started from the beginning. Learning as they went. That's why Palpatine told Vader and he told the Grand Inquisitor that the children of the Force were to be converted or eliminated. In "The Future Of The Force", the Fifth Brother and the Seventh Sister were after a child that was born with potential to use the Force. Now, part of the search was to avoid having a Jedi claim the child, but also to prevent said child from discovering the Force on their own and eventually coming to learn of the Jedi. This is also true for the Sith.

Why? Darth Bane did that. The Sith were already a failed organization when he sought out his Apprentice. And it worked out super well for them.

12. JW Fan

JW Fan Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    (from http://www.starwars.com/news/design...-and-iain-mccaig-discuss-creating-concept-art)

Interestingly, this isn't the first time we've heard about Thea.

In the TFA art book there is a storyboard of an early version of the TFA opening scene. It's pretty different from what we got in the final film. A young male character named Skylar, an R2 droid, and a Wookiee are in a rebel ship captured by a Star Destroyer (I think it was an Imperial, if my memory serves me correctly). Skylar escapes in an escape pod and plummets to the surface of a planet with many scavengers (I can't remember whether the R2 and Wookiee make it out alive; I'm pretty sure at least one of them dies as they try to escape). Meanwhile, the Star Destroyer crashes into the planet surface, causing an uproar among scavengers. A young woman named Thea (I can't remember whether she was described here as a scavenger) scales the Star Destroyer.

Could that be Lucas's vision? Or at least be heavily based on it? Could Thea have been Lucas's original name for the character who would become Rey (perhaps before Kira, which we know was the name at one point)? Could Skylar have teamed up with Thea to complete some task in this version of the story after crashing on a scavenger planet, much like how Finn teams up with Rey in the final film after crashing on the scavenger planet Jakku?

Also of interest, here are some intriguing things Pablo Hidalgo, Lucasfilm Creative Executive, has said on Twitter, pertaining to both Lucas's ideas for TFA and for the standalones.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/730199943156142080

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/730200787142336514

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/708774517426880512

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/708775551977148417

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/708776744602312704

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Interesting. So, since GL thinks in 3s and Rogue One isn't his idea--John Knoll and Gary Whitta--that means Han and Boba wee his ideas. But, then what was the third film?

14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    It's too bad the Bane novels aren't canon.

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    JediLight likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    What's becoming clear is that KK was apparently honest when she said that the story evolved as development progressed as all stories do. Not surprising, really.

17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    We now know from Pablo that Lucas wanted Darth Talon to be the villain -- an absolutely horrible idea. Talk about your unoriginal, cliche ideas: a female version of Maul.

And Felucia was a Lucas idea as well. He wanted to revisit one of the most cartoonish, Alice in Wonderland planets of the PT.

Then we have the super goofy "Skyler" name for what would eventually become Finn.

And then we have all the Lucas acolytes who declare TFA would have been more original with Lucas's story in tact, and apparently he was the one who thought up the idea of destroying the Jedi Order again.

Overall, looks like LFL did the right thing by passing on things like Darth Talon and Felucia and developing other ideas into something more interesting (Knights of Ren).

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Do you have a source for this?

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Dra--- While I appreciate that you brought the conversation over here where it belongs let's tone down the bashing, shall we? Thanks.

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG] Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    @anthonytaylor_ @KenWannb @SWMegafan @ManaByte Some of it is in the Art of Book. Skyler. Thea. Darth Talon. Felucia.
    09:48 - 7 juin 2016

1. [​IMG] Anthony@anthonytaylor_ 7 juin
      @pablohidalgo @KenWannb @SWMegafan @ManaByte oh, nice. Thanks!
      0 Retweet 2 j'aime

thejeditraitor and Dra--- like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We also have to remember that this was very early development. A lot of ideas were being thrown around so just because Talon and Felucia were brought up doesn't mean they would have ended up in the final film. I mean Han Solo was a green alien at one point in the development of ANH. Things change.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Also Skyler was supposed to be Han and Leia's non-Force sensitive son. Judging by the early concept, the Jedi killer seemed to be unrelated at first.

23. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Darth Chiznuk

True, but people who argue that Lucas would have given us something better or more original can now see that that is not the case.

You also have people who believe that if Lucas was in charge, most of his ideas would have made it through. Or should have.

darklighter99

Do we know for certain that Skyler was not Force sensitive? Or was that from Reddit?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Oh I'm sure most of his early ideas would be very different from the final movies if he was directing them, I'm not deluding myself. :p
    But I have to admit I'm upset they didn't consult him as a story consultant like he was supposed to be, but I understand his reasoning.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Names like Skylar were obviously just fill in names until they came up with something better just like John Doe was for Poe and Sam for Finn. Also I think it's much more likely that Lucas was thinking of having a female villain and asked his artists to draw some ideas for such a villain one of which was Darth Talon. I doubt it was his intention to actually have Darth Talon in the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.