main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yes but it doesn't excuse the fact that they wasted one movie with the same ships. A movie, let's remember, that is supposedly set 30 years after the last one. Pure laziness if you ask me, especially when compared to the early designs. Urgh!

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I suspect this might have been one of the things Rian Johnson might have asked JJ to put in the film, given that it's never referenced again in the rest of the film.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    or it makes perfect sense. the resistance has old ships and the fo is descended from the empire.

Dra---, EHT and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I wouldn't say it's laziness as they clearly put a lot of effort into the ship designs - I think it was more a product of the overuse of the nostalgia factor (IMO). I would agree that it was lame though.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Look at aircraft designs from thirty years ago... look at rockets and the space shuttle program (when it was active) too. There is actually not that much change in thirty years for these things here on Earth.

So it makes sense that the limited funds Resistance would be using a later version of the X-wings that were used by their predecessor, and the not-as-big-as-the-Empire First Order would be using later versions of the TIEs (plus a small number of destroyers) that were used by their predecessor.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lucas is more and more sounding like the racist grand uncle that sits in the corner and laughs to himself while pooping his pants in anger.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Just when you think it can't get anymore confusing now we have this:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016...ens-hints-at-star-wars-episode-viii-plot.html

Lucas initially wanted nothing to do with VII, but in a short while after pre-production began, he decided he wanted to submit a script. He brought in Ian and another prequel artist (possibly Doug Chiang, I missed the name) to the Ranch to help him realize his concepts. The script was rejected outright, as a result of…

Disney’s banishment of anything mildly prequel-related. Usage of prequel-only characters, environments etc were banned, as to not incur the fan base’s wrath.

A number of initial script ideas teased Anakin/Vader’s force ghost’s involvement, and Ian presented an idea so titillating (even to prequel-haters) along these lines that he had the audience clapping.

After being questioned by an audience member, he responded that he was unable to confirm nor deny if Lucas’ script had any influence or effect on the Arndt/Kasdan/Abrams script – but strongly implied to the positive.

Lucas wanted NOTHING to do with VII (for which he created outlines for VII, VIII and IX already!) and after the sale but before JJ came in Disney had decided not to use them. Later still and in pre-production he submitted a different script with different ideas than he had already done?!?

Who wrote this complete script? Lucas himself? Why wouldn't he have done so before already for VII instead of getting Arndt in?

"Disney's banishment of anything mildly prequel-related" Did they actually see The Force Awakens I have to ask? There is material in TFA that is not only "mildly prequel-related" but heavily prequel related. Possibly he means in some kind of out and out direct port kind of way like TFA does with the OT. Which really wouldn't make the most sense anyway in that it's over 50 years since ROTS. So they don't go to Mustafar or have battle droids or whatever.

For the Force Ghost those are McCaig's ideas for TFA pre-production not Lucas'.

Of course Lucas' ideas had influence all over TFA not just the previous ones but new ones as well. The hero being female chief among them.

Kind of odd comments about Disney. I wonder if he expects to not work for them again?

GunganSlayer and Darkslayer like this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    This is so confusing because Pablo said there was no script. Who's lying then? [face_dunno]

9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    You can justify it sure, and the reasons you post make sense - I just disagree with even going that route in the first place.

Zikri likes this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, this is being discussed in the New Rumors thread in 8 and 9 too. Generally, it seems like quite a few there are doubting a lot of this information. I think a lot of it sounds pretty fishy.

Dewback and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Wow that's atrocious by Disney. No wonder Lucas backed away and was frustrated. He had a way better control of his temper than I would have. This just cements my belief that TFA is just another EU - i.e. some interesting fan fiction, but it's not the legit ST and never will be.

Color me extremely dissapointed, although I guessed at this for some time now it still stinks to have a confirmation of it.

12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm not bying there's a ban on prequel contents especially when Rebels draws heavily from them and comics in PT era. Sure, it's less than OT contents but it's still there.

13. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Yeah, I'm not buying the ban on prequel content, either. Considering Disney is going to outright own all three prequel films and wants to, you know, make money off of them, they're not going to degrade those films (they've even used them in some of their shows--I think Darth Downunder posted video of a fireworks display at Disneyworld that utilized prequel era dialogue and footage). Hell, they even released Clone Wars season six even though they didn't have to. Why? Because they knew it'd make them money.

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya LFL flat out denied that report. I believe this stuff way too easily.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Could have just never gotten to him in the first place, or he is just repeating the company line. I wouldn't put too much weight into what anyone says unless it is directly from Lucas or Kathleen Kennedy in a documentary released 20 years from now.

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    EHT likes this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Sorry, but this reeked of fakery anyway. Glad to see it confirmed, though.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Glad I never read it. Move along.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there's a lesson there.

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya, I posted that lesson :p
    I'm so gullible [face_nail_biting]

21. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Idk if this has been brought up here yet, but I recently realized that a lot of the abandoned concepts from TFA play on the theme of "everyone has good and evil inside them." For instance:

-Villain with both a red and a blue saber.
    -a "fire and ice" world.
    -the Anakin/Vader hybrid ghost.
    -luke being the one who held onto vader's helmet.
    -luke saving the day "but in a bad way."

Is it possible that this theme of "good and evil in us all" originally came from the Lucas treatment? For some reason that feels to me like something Lucas would come up with. As a matter of fact, I vaguely remember a very old interview where lucas described a potential sequel trilogy as "exploring gray areas" or something of that nature.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't remember the last one being an abandoned concept but I agree that Lucas's ST would have explored "grey areas", whatever that means.

23. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    You are correct. A few years ago I collected a bunch of quotes that Lucas had said about his ideas for the ST. It directly ties into exploring moral and spiritual ambiguity, and how to decide what's good and bad, what's a good form of government vs. what's not, etc. A natural extension of the themes of the saga.

Here are his words, mostly from the late 80s and early 90s:

"The prequel stories exist — where Darth Vader came from, the whole story about Darth and Ben Kenobi — and it all takes place before Luke was born. The other one — what happens to Luke afterward — is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If I’m really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke.
    It would be about the rebuilding of the Republic, the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong. So the sequels, the three films that would follow Jedi, are considerably vaguer.
    If the first trilogy [I,II, III] is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars [IV, V, VI] is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third [VII, VIII, IX] deals with moral and philosophical problems... The sequel is about Jedi knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."
    -- Lucas

Shamear, L110 and Ezon Pin like this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    George should make a political movie and keep "trade negotiations" and "what's a good form of government" out of SW.
    It is not fun.

It is so clear that Lucas doesn't understand what made the OT such success.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It is so clear that you are never going to adhere to the clear rule against "PT vs OT" in the giant banner at the top of the forum without prompting. Take 24 hours to contemplate your sins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.