main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    When George Lucas said that Han Solo's child was to marry a Gungan is when Disney says F U

2. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    It's from the leaked summary of the second Abrams/Kasdan draft that was posted by a user named Mizzlewump back in early 2014. That was where the very first claims came that one of the new trio leads would be a Stormtrooper, the new villain base would be a "Death Star planet," han would be retired from the military and luke would be missing and still be known all these years later as "the last jedi."

There were a few major differences from the final film tho, with the whole "Luke saves the day in the end but in a bad way" thing being one of them. Not saying that particular plot point came from lucas, but it fits with the whole theme of "good and evil in us all" that I think lucas was interested in exploring.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    What I remember Arndt saying was that Luke was supposed to appear much more earlier in the story but then they decided to put him at the end because he was outshining Rey or something.
    Mizzlewhump also said that two of the lead characters were Han and Leia's daughter and Lando's child so they probably got a few things right and fabricated some stories of their own.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The gray area duality might be something that they decided would serve the story better as a development in the second movie. I would've liked to see some of that stuff in TFA, absolutely, and they could easily have included a few significant nods in that direction without going to deep, but I suspect that EpVIII will provide a lot of moral ambiguity.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, it makes sense to have it in a middle of a trilogy, too bad the government is gone, it could have made things more interesting to see how it functions compared to the republic of the PT.

Zikri and Lulu Mars like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Hm, that just got me thinking: What if they wiped the slate clean to let us witness the rebuilding of democracy from the ground up?

Zikri and Ricardo Funes like this.
  7. Woodbine

Woodbine Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 19, 2014
    I'd pay good hard cash to read Lucas' script. I'd like to think that some his ideas influenced the new trilogy. My initial concern with Disney is that they would be concerned only from movie to movie. I like an overall plot and ideas that are carried over over the course of a long story and it is what i want most from the new star wars. There were plenty of signs in TFA that they were thinking of the bigger picture and they couldn't have chosen a better director than JJ for leaving unanswered questions which is exactly what you want going after the first act of a trilogy.

Zikri and Krueger like this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    It wasn't really a script, more like a treatment but they said he already worked on it before the sale.

Zikri likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Even if the extent of Lucas' Episode VII "writing" is half a dozen notes on a Starbucks napkin, it would still make for a compelling study.

BigAl6ft6, Shamear, Ezon Pin and 6 others like this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Sure, but I'm 100% certain he would have made major changes if he was producing it. Unfortunately, they didn't even keep him as a creative consultant. :( So, we'll probably never know what were his exact plans for a ST.

Shamear likes this.
  11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

As long as someone else wrote the dialogue! :p

I've always said that the stories, EVEN the PT stories were fine and with the proper dialogue and scripting (as well as getting the right takes on the scenes) they would be AWESOME.

Zikri and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Like TCW? Oh my, that series has some of the best storylines of the starwars universe. More Jar Jar/Mace Windu team-up please? And politics with Padme and her fellow senators. :D And C-3PO/R2 adventures but that's without saying. I miss the scope of the stories. Now it's all in the dark times era. :( Too bad for the Live action series, we could have everything! :_|

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The good thing is is that everyone involved has said that the entire ST is already mapped out. Even the PT wasn't constructed like that (and we all know the OT certainly wasn't).

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  14. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Not the focus of this thread, but just want to point out that the PT was constructed like that. Lucas was making decisions about TPM that he knew would have direct relevance in AOTC and ROTS. It was constructed with a lot of forethought. Part of the reason the two early PT films were controversially received is because some of their major plot points pay off in ROTS, which hadn't been released yet for several years. So, having read the Making Of books and most material related to the PT, I can attest that the PT was pretty clearly mapped out ahead of time. Some little details changed as they went, but Lucas did construct the bulk of it ahead of time.

15. Woodbine

Woodbine Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 19, 2014

Well, i agree. My concern was that Disney would simply go from film to film. Like others have said though, it doesn't appear to be the case.

16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It's important to remember, too, that Lucasfilm are the ones making these movies, under Kathleen Kennedy's supervision. Disney can and will veto anything they don't like, but negotiations will always follow and I'd bet you anything that KK is very conscious of the need for an overarching vision and will do everything in her might to ensure that there's a satisfying progression in the story.
    George chose Kathleen as his successor because he trusts her. She may have agreed to deviate from some of his ideas, which ultimately led to him distancing himself from the project, but I think she can still be trusted to hold this thing together and pull off something really great. She knows how to do this job, that's why she got it.
    Simply put, KK is the new GL.

17. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I kinda remmeber Mizzlewump saying that they put a false plot point in their leak on purpose in case others who wanted to pretend to be insiders tried to back that up, and then they could call them out on it. With that being said, however, it is possible that Kira/Thea/rey could've been envisioned as a Solo or one of the other leads as a child of Lando at least at some point in the development (I'll admit tho that the concept art book seems to suggest otherwise).

Zikri likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's not they they didn't "keep" him, rather GL himself decided he was happier not involved because of his self-admitted tendency to be a micromanager, a role he couldn't really take on without stepping over the line anymore

(Though given his son Jett's statements about him keeping in contact with JJ even after the period of time he left, it's clear he still had some input during production, however minor)

Zikri likes this.
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Why is that automatically unfortunate? For all you know, you might have hated his ideas more than JJ's.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Honestly, my sense is that they're going in a direction that honours Lucas' legacy better than he could at this point. I doubt it was ever his intent to have the sole heir to Anakin's bloodline be a dark sider, for example, but I think that's exactly the direction they're going in.

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Because I was mainly curious about HIS vision of what happened after RotJ instead of another EU version even if I'm sure SOME of his ideas ended up in the final product. Sure, I would probably have hated some of his ideas i.e. Maul's resurrection in TCW, I wouldn't even be surprised if he was present in the ST, but I know I wouldn't complain so much about the technical/creative stuff. Apart of that misstep, TCW proved he can do collaboration even if he was the ultimate decision-maker and I know it was his decision to leave, still, what a shame.

Zikri likes this.
  22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Well there is Luke and Leia, so Kylo's not the sole heir, if that's the direction they've decided. To truly honor Lucas's legacy would require the thoughtful consideration of his entire body of work. I'm hopeful Rian pushes forward both in design and narrative and creates something truly remarkable. Although STAR WARS is now written by committee and seems to conform to the broadest desires of fandom, which might conceivably deliver a film of a certain quality, but it may not be as impressive or original as a singular, individual vision. Lucas was never going to do it, so we get the next thing. It would be gratifying, though, if the new stewards would incorporate some of the broadest outlines of what may be perceived as the artist's intent. Is that happening? Perhaps, from a certain point of view.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I do think that each SW film from now on (at least until Episode 9) will have its own “voice”. The directors they have chosen for each film are so different to one another; the films will all feel slightly “different” by default. Rian Johnson is nothing like JJ Abrams, who is nothing like Gareth Edwards, who is 100% different to Lord and Miller. So all the SW films somehow looking the same or feeling like they’re just something that was pulled off a conveyor belt is not something I am worried about. At least not for the next four films. This is something that Lucas envisioned back in the late seventies. I think that Episode 8, as it is also being written by the director of the film, will definitely have an individual vision feel to it.

TCF-1138 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  24. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

What ideas? Where is the evidence for such?

Lucas knows more about psychology, Lore, Cambell etc than JJ does. Always goes into great detail of many forms.

Emotion> V.s <Reason are not exclusive to each other..

JJ's ideas provided emotion.

Zikri likes this.
  25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Honoring.....

They are honoring his franchise more than he did, than yes. Not Lucas himself..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.