main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Luke's father.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Mark Hamil talking about when George Lucas called him and Carrie Fisher to discuss SW7 at SLCC.
    I took two things from this. One, it seems like Lucas is not a fan of recasting and second depending on their answers Lucas was ready to write them out which makes me wonder if Lucas thought their presence wasn't a necessity for the new trilogy and not a really important role.

3. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Speaking of recasting, I can't bring myself to like the idea of a Young Han Solo film, because the role is just too connected to Ford himself.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  5. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Yeah. But Ewan was great as Kenobi.

seventhbeacon and thejeditraitor like this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Pretty sure Pablo said aside RO which was pitched by John Knoll the spinoffs came from Lucas.

[​IMG] Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    From last year's Future Filmmaker panel. The standalone ideas in development came from George Lucas, the exception being Rogue One. FYI
    11:25 - 30 juil. 2016

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    And, I should add, James.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, but Ewan played Obi-Wan twenty to thirty years younger than we'd seen him before. Obi-Wan in ANH was an old man.

Harrison Ford played Han as a young man. The new film will just have Han be a slightly younger man. It's not really the same thing. Had Harrison only played Han in TFA it would've been the same, but that's not the case.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Neurosis?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Huh?

11. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Not only will I be comparing the new actor to Ford at every turn, I'll be comparing the movie's story to the Han Solo trilogy as well. Ideally, I'll be swept along by the movie and forget about it. The way Heath Ledger ceased to exist and became the Joker each and every time I watch the Dark Knight. I'm not saying the movie can't be good, but I am saying that the Sabacc deck is stacked against it, and that they're going to have to shoot for an Idiot's Array, and we all know how random a game of Sabacc can be.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We have an entire forum dedicated to the Anthology films. Let's keep this thread focused on its topic. Thanks.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. David C

David C Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2016
    I also believe the fact that Empire almost ruined Lucas financially factored in the merging. I think he realized that his dream of creating the story and delegating the production would be too risky and he chose to wrap the story up then and there instead.

14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Daniel Seery@Dannomyte_79 11 hil y a 11 heures
    @pablohidalgo any chance we will ever see George Lucas treatments for Episodes 7, 8, 9.

Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    @Dannomyte_79 Maybe once the trilogy is done? And it was only for 7.

:confused:

dsematsu and Abadacus like this.
  15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    "Only for seven"? Huh, that's interesting.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    One of these things is not like the other.

17. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Maybe the most recent treatment was only for 7. With Arndt. They didn't get around revising 8-9 after Arndt jumped on board and before GL left.

18. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Lucas was always making this stuff up movie to movie. Now I'm not saying he didn't have some outlined notes of how the story may play out, but most of the story was written on the fly. Just think of The Original SW, and how the whole Franchise took a left turn in ESB when he made Vader the father of Luke. And then in ROTJ with Leia being Luke's sister, as that is some really key plot points that weren't there in the Original movie. Plus you see Death Star 2 in ROTJ, so obviously if he had a master plan he wouldn't have had 2 Death Stars in 2 different movies.

The same goes for the PT as he made alot of stuff on the fly. Heck, he changed the whole context of Anakin's turn to the darkside mid movie in ROTS, as he didn't like the way it came out on screen. That is why I think fans are way overthinking Lucas 'notes' for the ST. I think it was general ideas of the plot and characters (which I still believe JJ & Kasdan used parts of them) and that is it.

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Which is why I think his treatments for 8 and 9 were maybe far more abstract than for 7.

20. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Yep. Except there were originally 2 Death Stars in ROTJ. Great concept art of their hovering over Had Abaddon. And then GL will change things in post, something that is now commonplace despite the panic by some media over R1 doing the same. Then GL will tinker even more, at least with the OT.

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    For all we know, he could have a new version of the ST in mind right now and that version could be very different from what he originally came up with. At least with the details.

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure, I know all that; what I found to be interesting is that the statement that he only had an outline for Ep7 goes against everything we've heard previously.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  23. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Lucas is definitely very casual and often not very precise when he speaks. When he says that he had story treatments for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, he could very well have meant that he had a fairly well-developed story treatment (ready to be turned into a script) for Episode VII plus broad story outlines for VIII and IX. So when Hidalgo says that Lucas only had a story treatment for VII, he's saying that Lucas only produced a substantial written treatment for the one film.

That's my guess, anyway. Like when Lucas talks about having come up with "the whole story" of the PT back when he made the OT, he's referring to the broad strokes of the story and not the plot points and structure of each film.

24. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    True.

25. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    There were more than one... Even Bob Iger refers to them in the plural form "they"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.