main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Strange how Abrams had said that by the time he joined the project in January 2013 they had already decided to not use Lucas' outline, yet here we see this article from March of that year that seems to suggest otherwise. Oh well. Either way I'm happy with what we got but would be curious to see what Lucas otherwise had in mind.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Few interesting things from this article.

So he still helped them in some way, in what they can or can't do in the starwars universe.

La Calavera and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Of course I wasn't there so I don't know, but from everything we've heard, it kind of sounds like Iger gave Lucas his word they would use his treatments, and then after several unsuccessful rough drafts, he went back on it. But teh strangest part to me about all this is that scripts go through drastic changes all the time, going from one writer to another, various different drafts, etc. What was the need for them to publicly break free from Lucas? No one would have given it a second thought if they had said they were changing certain aspects of Lucas' treatments, all with Lucas still overseeing the project. But instead they made a public break. This could be for a few reasons. Maybe they didn't like working with Lucas, because he was too adamant about certain things that the rest of the group disagreed with. Maybe they wanted to break free from Lucas because they felt he had too much negative baggage from the prequels. Or maybe they never wanted a public break, but Lucas could sense there was tension, so he bowed out (which is sort of what he claims). In any event, I can't help but think how much nicer it would have been to have Lucas maintain creative oversight. Even though we don't know what happened, I think ultimately it comes down on Disney to have treated Lucas with respect, and I'm not sure they did.

4. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Far as I can tell, it was Lucas who decided to break off once he felt that they wanted to take things their own way.

5. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    I'd love it if we could get an animated film or comic series that follows Lucas' drafts. That will never happen though.

Abadacus and Dranem like this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Isn't there already a comic version of one of the drafts of ANH? I could see something like this happen but not before the completion of the ST.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Dark Horse released it several years ago and Marvel re-released it earlier this year. Or was it last year? Hmm. Can't remember.

8. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    All of this just breaks my heart. I wish there was a way to jump to an alternate timeline where Lucas never sold SW to the Mouse House and instead created the ST himself.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    All of this is very old news, and it was George, not Disney, who went public with them not using his treatment.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    You don't know what breaks your heart. None of us do.

11. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    Can we make a cosmic road trip out of this because there are a lot of what if's I'd like to see.
    What if they'd stuck with their original ideas for episode I and the Jedi had black field uniforms and or Obi-Wan was the only Jedi sent to Naboo. What if they'd been adamant about Anakin begin a teenager and they not settled for Jake Loyd after the first choice was in available and kept looking. What If the lead villain of episode II had remained a female Sith lord.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Bob? You drinking buddies?

13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I called him Bob Iger, which is his name, and in no way, shape, or form suggests any familiarity between him and I...

14. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    Seeing Disney abuse my love of Star Wars does. I'm slowly beginning to lose my will to live in a world where they are going to be cranking out SW movies once a year like clockwork until the end of times. Can't wait for Wicket's Wicked Wild Whirl Wind Adventure: A Star Wars Story, coming soon some time in the next hundred years!

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Lucas made that one in 1984.

[​IMG]

16. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    I know about the two TV movies, but Disney must complete the trilogy. Maybe even make it a crossover team-up with the Mickey Mouse Club.

17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I think the "only for 7" part is because Lucas originally planned to make the movie himself and release it in May 2015 before selling the company an letting the last two movies to other directors but then he admitted it would have been a 10-year commitment to make this trilogy.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/01/12/george-lucas-strange-magic-movie/21624493/

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Nothing they've done suggest anything remotely like that.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They definitely have plans to complete the trilogy. How else will it be completely clear that Cindel is Rey's mum?

BigAl6ft6, Seagoat, Strongbow and 3 others like this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did they ever decide what era those ewok movies were set ?

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, between Empire and Jedi.

I have a theory that that was just a case of Lucas changing his mind though. Apparently, they were originally meant to take place after Jedi (according to people working on them), but then in the late 90s/early 00s Lucas decided that nothing would take place post-Jedi, so they changed the placement of the Ewok films to pre-Jedi - even though it doesn't really make sense (where's the Imperial precense on Endor at the time?). They even had to come up with some far-fetched explanation about how the Towanis aren't actually speaking Basic, but it's translated into English for the audience, which is why Wicket can't speak Basic in Jedi.
    I don't know, in my head canon (and on my DVD shelf) they take place post-Jedi.

But they're not canon anymore, so I guess it doesn't matter.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why didn't they ever finish the Holiday Special trilogy? I wanted to see more adventures of Art Carney. Maybe make it a crossover with Harry and Tonto?

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I was waiting for Carrie Fisher and Bill Shatner to do an album together .

24. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I wish I could just see a basic synopsis of the stories Lucas had in mind. Even I can admit that the dialogue, acting, etc. across his movies was clunky but I always thought the stories on paper were very strong.

oncafar and Abadacus like this.
  25. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    And some of us are delighted. Different strokes, I guess.

titansupes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.